The Student Room Group

Computing Units or Maths Units

Hi I am currently studying a maths and computing foundation year. I have three compulsory modules which cover maths, computing and study skills and I have three optional modules. For my optional modules I picked Algebra A, introduction to programming and introduction to artificial intelligence.I want to go to Bristol, Southampton, Manchester or Reading university after my foundation year. I know all these unis accept foundation degrees and what overall they want I just wanted to get some advice on modules. I have to confirm my modules on Monday and I have emailed all the unis today about what modules they would prefer but I don't expect a reply till Monday. If I wanted to go study computer science would I have a higher chance getting onto the coarse with Algebra A, Programming and Artificial intelligence or Algebra A, Statistics and Calculus. My uni says to study the first option because it is designed for computer science and the second option is for Maths, but computer science has a huge maths element to it and I know for a fact Bristol prefers a lot more maths. What do you guys think should I just stick with the computing units or should I switch over to the Maths units.
Reply 1
Any help ?
Honestly is you're good at maths then take the maths option. There isn't really much of artificial intelligence they can teach you at foundation level. And most AI principles depends on statistics and calculus so you won't do any good in that if you don't know enough maths (atleast at a higher level). Introduction to programming is probably gonna be some Java module which you can learn yourself on the internet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd argue calculus would be very helpful especially as calculus and discrete mathematics is so important for CS.
Reply 4
I can also argue that you should go **** your self ****
Reply 5
Take the maths units. Artificial Intelligence doesn't get particularly interesting until you hit the heavy maths side of things, for which you need a lot of mathematical knowledge. Everything will be taught to you in the first year of your degree anyway, but it's important to have a good mathematical foundation.
Reply 6
stfu

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending