The Student Room Group

To people who believe in God, could you answer my questions?

I really want Atheists/ agnostics or anyone who disagrees to completely RESPECT this thread. I can't prevent debate, I'm pretty sure it's inevitable on a thread like this but I just don't want this thread to be 17 pages of insulting dribble on why Prophet Muhammed was a pedophile, or how Islam is unfair to women etc etc

Please keep things respectful and non-judgemental

I've been reading and watching a lot of debates/documentaries on religion/God and his existence (a hobby I seem to have taken up recently), and a lot of the debates are fuelled by complex philosophical arguments and enter this weird realm between Philosophy and Science to back up their points, which is extremely interesting but leaves me a tad bit unsatisfied at times. I honestly really just want to keep this extremely simple.

So I want to ask anyone who believes in God:

1)What religion do you belong to?

2)Have you "experienced" God in any way, shape or form?

3)What was your experience?

4)Do you believe you will meet/experience God one day?

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm probably not going to be much help to you but here are my answers anyway:

1) Anglican
2) Nope
3) n/a
4) Heart says yes head says no

I struggle with faith a bit and I'm probably not your typical Christian to be honest.
Original post by ed98

1) Anglican
2) Nope
3) n/a

I struggle with faith a bit and I'm probably not your typical Christian to be honest.

Nope, it's very helpful! :-) Thank you.

I can understand what you mean, it might perhaps feel like a bit of a battle between what you really want to believe to be true and what everyone who disagrees says is true. :s-smilie:
Original post by ed98

1) Anglican
2) Nope
3) n/a

Can you expand a bit on how you mean by that?
Original post by Song of the Soul
1) None, my belief in God is more general and if I had to classify myself I'd say I'm a pantheist or panentheist.

2) Yes, all the time.

3) As I believe God encompasses everything, every object, person, animal or place is a manifestation of God. However, I regularly practise meditation to go through my everyday in a state of mindfulness where it's like everything has been turned on HD. I've had epiphanies and moments of spiritual orgasm appreciating the most normal things in this heightened state of awareness.

4) As a pantheist I am meeting God all the time, myself included. I don't subscribe to the notion that God is far away somewhere and that experience of her can never be attained.

So do you perceive the God that you believe in as a force, over an intelligent entity?
Reply 5
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I really want Atheists/ agnostics or anyone who disagrees to completely RESPECT this thread. I can't prevent debate, I'm pretty sure it's inevitable on a thread like this but I just don't want this thread to be 17 pages of insulting dribble on why Prophet Muhammed was a pedophile, or how Islam is unfair to women etc etc

I've been reading and watching a lot of debates/documentaries on religion/God and his existence (a hobby I seem to have taken up recently), and a lot of the debates are fuelled by complex philosophical arguments and enter this weird realm between Philosophy and Science to back up their points, which is extremely interesting but leaves me a tad bit unsatisfied at times. I honestly really just want to keep this extremely simple.

Spoiler

I see God every day in my life he/she is just staying next to meh even right now xD :tongue:
1) Orthodox Christianity
2) No, but I believe in fate definitely
4) I don't think so...who knows?
Reply 7
Original post by _gcx
Can you expand a bit on how you mean by that?

Well I would really like to believe that god is out there somewhere looking over us and that one day I will meet him in the Kingdom of Heaven but looking at it logically I can't see how one can genuinely believe that God can exist. Well at least the omnipotent and omniscient god of the Abrahamic regions.

Sorry for the brief answers not really in a very philosophical mood at the mo :tongue:
Reply 8
Nope, it's very helpful! :-) Thank you.

I can understand what you mean, it might perhaps feel like a bit of a battle between what you really want to believe to be true and what everyone who disagrees says is true. :s-smilie:

Yep that's pretty much exactly how I feel.
Muslim.
No.
N/A.
(Inshallah) Yes.
1) Catholic

2)Yes

3) On the spot, I can't really remember all of them. but my first "experience" would have to be when I fell 2 storeys at age 2. I had woken up and seeing that nobody was there, I panicked and tried to escape, I climbed over the balcony and ,being the impulsive person I am, I jumped. The way my residence had been built meant that the second floor was very, very high up and in addition to that I was falling onto concrete. Although I cannot exactly rememeber exactly what happened after that, through my blurred vision I saw a blonde woman come to me and tell me she would call my father, which was strange because I had never seen this lady before and after I blacked out and woke up in a hospital I never saw her again. Although I wouldn't say I had actually seen God, I credit this incidence to Him simply because I fell 2 storeys at age 2 onto concrete ground at came out completely unscathed and to this day whenever I pass that flat and see where I fell, I thank God I didn't die.

4)I hope to.
Reply 11
i want to know if the christians and muslims also believe in magic because if u dont then how do you account for the fact magic is something that the bible and koran explicitly say is a thing? do you just accept that your holy book has flaws or do you really believe in humans performing magic? if so how do you feel this affects your education and do you feel you'd be better served by just learning some magic instead ??

edit; oh and in case your answer is "yes magic is real and no i don't perform it because its against religion" or something to that effect - then why do you feel magic was ever created by your god in the first place?
(edited 7 years ago)
Islam
Yes
what I can recall at the moment is god consciousness and things such as prayers being accepted.

Know that the life of this world is only play and amusement, pomp and mutual boasting among you, and rivalry in respect of wealth and children, as the likeness of vegetation after rain, thereof the growth is pleasing to the tiller; afterwards it dries up and you see it turning yellow; then it becomes straw. But in the Hereafter (there is) a severe torment (for the disbelievers, evil-doers), and (there is) Forgiveness from Allah and (His) Good Pleasure (for the believers, good-doers), whereas the life of this world is only a deceiving enjoyment“. [57:20]

Well yh, on the day of resurrection I will be held accountable for my deeds in front of God.
Reply 13
Original post by Kraixo

Know that the life of this world is only play and amusement, pomp and mutual boasting among you, and rivalry in respect of wealth and children, as the likeness of vegetation after rain, thereof the growth is pleasing to the tiller; afterwards it dries up and you see it turning yellow; then it becomes straw. But in the Hereafter (there is) a severe torment (for the disbelievers, evil-doers), and (there is) Forgiveness from Allah and (His) Good Pleasure (for the believers, good-doers), whereas the life of this world is only a deceiving enjoyment“. [57:20]

Well yh, on the day of resurrection I will be held accountable for my deeds in front of God.

i've noticed a great big gaping hole in this. if your god is so powerful, how come he doesn't already know the entire accountability for everyone before they are even born? you can argue free will but you can reliably guess (even as a mere human) at what somebody will do with free will and i'd assume you'd accept your allah god would be better at this than anyone (and really if he is omniscient he'd know all this anyway?)

so what's the point in this amusement park of pomp and mutual boasting if your god already knows the outcome based upon the people that he created? is he just a giant dick who creates people he knows will fail in order to get a few jabs in there?
Original post by iThrow
i want to know if the christians and muslims also believe in magic because if u dont then how do you account for the fact magic is something that the bible and koran explicitly say is a thing? do you just accept that your holy book has flaws or do you really believe in humans performing magic? if so how do you feel this affects your education and do you feel you'd be better served by just learning some magic instead ??

edit; oh and in case your answer is "yes magic is real and no i don't perform it because its against religion" or something to that effect - then why do you feel magic was ever created by your god in the first place?

Hi muslim here,
Yes magic is real but it is not of the same nature you see in Hollywood.

Allah tells us in the Quran about magic and it answers your curiousity:-

They followed what the Shayatin (devils) gave out (falsely of the magic) in the lifetime of Sulaiman (Solomon). Sulaiman did not disbelieve, but the Shayatin (devils) disbelieved, teaching men magic and such things that came down at Babylon to the two angels, Harut and Marut, but neither of these two (angels) taught anyone (such things) till they had said, "We are only for trial, so disbelieve not (by learning this magic from us)." And from these (angels) people learn that by which they cause separation between man and his wife, but they could not thus harm anyone except by Allah's Leave. And they learn that which harms them and profits them not. And indeed they knew that the buyers of it (magic) would have no share in the Hereafter. And how bad indeed was that for which they sold their ownselves, if they but knew. 2:102
Original post by iThrow
i've noticed a great big gaping hole in this. if your god is so powerful, how come he doesn't already know the entire accountability for everyone before they are even born? you can argue free will but you can reliably guess (even as a mere human) at what somebody will do with free will and i'd assume you'd accept your allah god would be better at this than anyone (and really if he is omniscient he'd know all this anyway?)

so what's the point in this amusement park of pomp and mutual boasting if your god already knows the outcome based upon the people that he created? is he just a giant dick who creates people he knows will fail in order to get a few jabs in there?

1. Allaah SWT created human beings with the ability to make decisions and choices. This implied that people were going to make good and bad choices and decisions.

2. It would not be fair, if people who made good choices and those who made bad choices ended up with the same results or same kind of eternal life. Those who make good choices should be rewarded and those making bad choices should be punished.

3. Allaah’s knowledge being absolute and infinite, He knew which of the people would be making good choices and which people the bad choices. He could have put them permanently in the Gardens or imprisoned in Hell on the basis of His knowledge; but that would not look fair to people, without letting them prove themselves and see that justice has been fully done.

4. So He sent us in this world to prove to ourselves where we belong. From puberty to the last breath we are in the examination room continuously writing our tests. All decisions and choices we are making every moment of our lives are what we will be marked upon. Keep in mind that we are not marked for the given conditions that we find ourselves in, but only on the choices and decisions that we make in the given circumstances.

5. In summary, our test is for us to provide our own evidence as to where we belong, not for Allaah SWT.
Reply 16
Original post by Kraixo
Hi muslim here,
Yes magic is real but it is not of the same nature you see in Hollywood.

Allah tells us in the Quran about magic and it answers your curiousity:-

They followed what the Shayatin (devils) gave out (falsely of the magic) in the lifetime of Sulaiman (Solomon). Sulaiman did not disbelieve, but the Shayatin (devils) disbelieved, teaching men magic and such things that came down at Babylon to the two angels, Harut and Marut, but neither of these two (angels) taught anyone (such things) till they had said, "We are only for trial, so disbelieve not (by learning this magic from us)." And from these (angels) people learn that by which they cause separation between man and his wife, but they could not thus harm anyone except by Allah's Leave. And they learn that which harms them and profits them not. And indeed they knew that the buyers of it (magic) would have no share in the Hereafter. And how bad indeed was that for which they sold their ownselves, if they but knew. 2:102

okay so how come the devil and the other things u mentioned (i'll be honest I skim-read your nonsense) are so powerful? bit of a rubbish god surely to create a devil alongside you with magical powers?

i mean what's his problem? why create an evil devil with magical powers but none for the humans?
Reply 17
Original post by Kraixo
1. Allaah SWT created human beings with the ability to make decisions and choices. This implied that people were going to make good and bad choices and decisions.

but if he's an omniscient god he already knows your decisions and choices. if he doesn't then how can he be all-knowing? is it like he writes down what you're gonna do and then be like "nah i'm not gonna look till they get here and i punish them!"

Original post by Kraixo

2. It would not be fair, if people who made good choices and those who made bad choices ended up with the same results or same kind of eternal life. Those who make good choices should be rewarded and those making bad choices should be punished.

same as above, surely he'd already know.

Original post by Kraixo

3. Allaah’s knowledge being absolute and infinite, He knew which of the people would be making good choices and which people the bad choices. He could have put them permanently in the Gardens or imprisoned in Hell on the basis of His knowledge; but that would not look fair to people, without letting them prove themselves and see that justice has been fully done.

how can his knowledge be absolute and infinite if he doesn't know beforehand which of his creations will break his arbitrary and hilarious rules?

Original post by Kraixo

4. So He sent us in this world to prove to ourselves where we belong. From puberty to the last breath we are in the examination room continuously writing our tests. All decisions and choices we are making every moment of our lives are what we will be marked upon. Keep in mind that we are not marked for the given conditions that we find ourselves in, but only on the choices and decisions that we make in the given circumstances.

he sent us to a world? so we existed somewhere and then he says "nope! earth time!" all the while examining us even though with his infinite knowledge he knows what happens.. lol k

Original post by Kraixo

5. In summary, our test is for us to provide our own evidence as to where we belong, not for Allaah SWT.

sounds like waffle to me.

Spoiler

1) muslim
2)yes many times and so many things ive been stressful for actually relieves me and so much evidence in the quran saying god exisits all the scientific examples which are said to be 100 percent correct in todays centery and this was said 15oo years ago where they did not have technology and when the message was sent to the propeht through revelation also he was illiterate could not read or write so who could it have been without technology scientific things to be correct
3) its logical becuase everything has a creator so the world has a creator which is god
4) yes we all will meet god one day whether u belive it or not
5) pleaseeeeeeeeee listen to zakir naik a wonderful clever logical man who is sooooo gooooodddddddddd he convinced me alot into islam
1.) Christian (CoE)

2.) Yes and no

3.) Although I haven't like died and seen heaven and come back or anything, I do feel like I'm on a certain path which is pre-determined and everything that's happened up to this point has been for a reason. Bad things have happened in my life but after a while you can't imagine living life without said thing happening. Like you saw my post about my car crash.. Before I went to work that night I was suffering a back problem and I could have called in sick but I didn't, then I wrote off my car that night. If I hadn't gone to work I could still have my car with me now and not have to cycle to work in the pitch black, but I just can't imagine driving to work and getting there that easily. I've been fired from my old job because I swapped shifts with someone and that swapped shift something happened and it cost me my job, but I can't imagine still being there to this day, loving every minute of the job like I did and thinking how easily I'd got to a point in my life where I was truly happy. Yes I could just be incredibly unlucky, but something is just telling me everything that's happened was meant to happen.

I have huge ambitions but right now, I'm not mentally prepared to go and achieve what I want to achieve. I'm a socially awkward, unconfident coward who weighs about 8 stone and no one wants to be with. But you know what, I wouldn't change a single thing about myself. If I was some attractive, confident person who was talented at everything they did and everyone looked up to, it would be too easy to achieve my ambitions, it would be a gift and not something to work towards. I can overcome the person I am at the moment and then everything will be such a bigger achievement than being someone who was born the person I want to be. And I believe that that is a gift from God.

4.) Yes.

Spoiler

Original post by iThrow

What..? Quote me in the bible where it says magic happened.

@TheonlyMrsHolmes Can I ask you a completely non-related question?

Quick Reply