The Student Room Group

What is the meaning of life?

In your opinion, what is the meaning of life? Why are we on this Earth? What's our purpose? Would love to hear your answers :smile:

I put it in the educational debate section originally because we can use our knowledge from school and academia to perhaps disagree/agree with someone's point (but philosophy is the perfect section methinks!!). Want to turn this into a debate as well ❤️
(edited 2 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emm4nuella
In your opinion, what is the meaning of life? Why are we on this Earth? What's our purpose? Would love to hear your answers :smile:

I put it in the educational debate section because we can use our knowledge from school and academia to perhaps disagree/agree with someone's point. Want to turn this into a debate as well ❤️
going to tag in some people - i wonder what their opinion is? could there be a scientific or a religious aspect to this?

@Chronoscope @Saracen's Fez @Vic Vinegar @ebyrne2036 @doesgraymatter @study23! @user11112234 @amber.07 @squemily16 @marz11 @heartz4moushi @Tatakae L @inanotherlifeee @penguingirl18 @FSAC1977 @dbx432 @kayleigh_t.27 @AspiringSurvivor @Jacky Pleasant @hpxna @MindMax2000 @Alm_xo @x-wing_pliot @Cote1 @emaanqur @gjd800 @emmab0488 @Trickia @flamingolover @erin11 @scar-the-queen @halfharry @sophier2005 @Kallisto @Pwca @flowersinmyhair @MP_25 @aizzicle @mesub @erin11 @Jacintha @penguingirl18 @AspiringSurvivor @Jsjskscjosjejs @hpxna @MysteryyyGirl86 @wkstudy @milktee @cheshiresun @koolkhad @crochetingduck @sab3rrr @idklol1 @Eoware @probably_sane @Student4355 @shahzadi_ @zeasea @bicompton @Trees14
(edited 2 months ago)
I was talking about this last week in my maths class and we unironically came to the conclusion that the meaning of life is to live, laugh and love.
Reply 3

I put it in the educational debate section because we can use our knowledge from school and academia to perhaps disagree/agree with someone's point. Want to turn this into a debate as well ❤️
I don’t have any psychology sort of knowledge but this is what I think.

If you say it biologically, it is to reproduce and survive. That’s what mammals do, we want to keep living.

But in terms of actually what we do with our lives I think it comes down to living a life where you make the most of your potential. You try for everything, you learn what you like and you don’t, and you try and live a happy long life doing what you want. I also feel like in life we should help people, one of the reasons why I want to be a doctor.

Interested to see others opinions!
Reply 4

In year 10 I actually did a philosophy thingie on this. I think there is so much to this question.
From the religious aspect, because I am religious lol, I would say it is to fufil our lives on this earth and learn why god made us, apreciate that and get as many deeds on this earth so we can move onto the next life. That life is our test and we have been given freedom on how we live it but the way we live it is what matters.

From the biological aspect I agree with @study23! (wont tag her) because humanity needs to carry on for point A to happen and for people to learn their reason and live their lives on earth to go to the next life and be happy there.

Thats it lol.
To live in accordance with nature. That's the stoic point of view anyway.
ooh, i love a good debate
i think the meaning of life is to find happiness, whether that's raising children or doing something you like.
of course, we can't always be happy, but we can find ways to further our happiness when the time comes about. for instance, getting a job to make money to further your hobby
i'm probably not making any sense lol, but i really like the question! :smile:
Reply 7
I don't think that there is a meaning of life.
Original post by Cote1
I don't think that there is a meaning of life.
oooh please expand :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by MysteryyyGirl86
i think the meaning of life is to find happiness, whether that's raising children or doing something you like.
of course, we can't always be happy, but we can find ways to further our happiness when the time comes about. for instance, getting a job to make money to further your hobby
no this makes complete sence, like totaly bc yes i agree with it some <3
also loving the pfp
Original post by sophier2005
I was talking about this last week in my maths class and we unironically came to the conclusion that the meaning of life is to live, laugh and love.
so to be happy?
Original post by Tatakae L
no this makes complete sence, like totaly bc yes i agree with it some <3
also loving the pfp
thx!
Reply 12
oooh please expand :smile:
I don't think that life was meant to have meaning. It just happened. I'm not religious.

However, as humans I feel that we search for meaning. Nothing wrong with doing this.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 13

being a religious person myself, like what @ Tatakae L said, i personally think it's for us to be the best human beings we can, always striving to help others and be good to those around us, following our religion and being morally right in whatever we do, in order to attain the beautiful afterlife that we're promised with <3
on a non-religious viewpoint, i think that life is all about exploring new things and just living it to your fullest, striving towards our future goals and doing the best in what we're gifted with 🤍
Original post by Cote1
I don't think that life was meant to have meaning. It just happened. I'm not religious either.

However, as humans I feel that we search for meaning. Nothing wrong with doing this.
so our purpose is to search? for what - what is meaning to you?
Original post by milktee
being a religious person myself, like what @ Tatakae L said, i personally think it's for us to be the best human beings we can, always striving to help others and be good to those around us, following our religion and being morally right in whatever we do, in order to attain the beautiful afterlife that we're promised with <3
on a non-religious viewpoint, i think that life is all about exploring new things and just living it to your fullest, striving towards our future goals and doing the best in what we're gifted with 🤍
yes i agree being a religious person myself
Reply 16
so our purpose is to search? for what - what is meaning to you?
I think that humans need to think that life has some purpose or meaning.
Original post by MysteryyyGirl86
so similar to @Cote1 with the searching aspect?
Original post by milktee
put so amazingly, arnt you jsut a princess <3333333333333
Original post by Cote1
I think that humans need to think that life has some purpose or meaning.
otherwise what happens? do you think we are programmed to think this way?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending