The Student Room Group

Pros and cons of moving away from parents for university?

I'm considering moving away for university, and having been kept in a pretty big bubble all my life it seems like a daunting thing. My parents are also pretty controlling (VERY), I know they only mean well though.

I'd like to know your opinions on moving away for university and whether you think it's a good thing to do or not.

Thanks!
Move away.

Those who don't will still be immature and relying on their parents to sort ot their lives when they are 21.
Do you really want to be one of those?

If you aren't ready for Uni yet, plan to take a Gap Year. Get some paid work and do some independent travel. This helps with the 'letting go' - for both you and your parents.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant

Those who don't will still be immature and relying on their parents to sort ot their lives when they are 21.
Do you really want to be one of those?

That's a bold statement. It really depends on the individual. My older sibling stayed at home for the first two years of her degree then did a year abroad. She was independent and able to take care of herself. My siblings help my parents with groceries, bills, etc. meaning they don't turn out 'immature' just because of their decision to live at home.

If you think you will benefit from moving out then go for it (especially if your parents are super strict as this will make it difficult for you to learn how to be independent) but if your only worry is 'turning out to be a loser' then do more research. Not everyone who stays at home is immature and not everyone who moves out turn out to be mature. :rolleyes:
Pro: Independence. I love being away from the stress. It's also great to have my own space and not have people walking into my room unannounced.

Cons: I'm decent at cooking, but not near as good as my mum. I also miss my little sister.
Original post by Kyou
I'm considering moving away for university, and having been kept in a pretty big bubble all my life it seems like a daunting thing. My parents are also pretty controlling (VERY), I know they only mean well though.

I'd like to know your opinions on moving away for university and whether you think it's a good thing to do or not.

Thanks!

Hello :smile:,

Personally, I think moving away for university was the best thing that I ever did and I'd suggest to any potential student to move away!

University is a good step - that's a given and when you go, it's all about your choice. The course you want to study, studying where you want to etc and I personally do believe the cliche statement that university is where you find yourself - but only if you allow it. I think if you move out you have the ability to be independent and live away, discover yourself, learn how to cook, clean and more and just generally grow as a person - it's a fantastic experience.

The good things;
- You learn to be independent.
- You learn how you COPE when independent.
- You discover your maturity level.
- You learn new life lessons and skills.
- You have your own place.
- You have your own space.
- You're away from home.

The bad things; (well, the things that can be seen as bad);
- You're away from home.
- When you're stressed or struggling your family aren't right there.
- You can struggle if you don't have some basic life lessons/skills.
- You might discover you aren't ready to be independent.
- You miss home.

These are my general experiences with myself and close friends! It's what you think is best at the end of the day but I'd suggest taking the plunge and doing it - besides, if you aren't happy, it's easy to move out of halls and back home!

Good luck! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending