The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Before :biggrin:
Am I the only one who does both?
Before
The reason for doing it before is that when you sleep bacteria may accumulate in your mouth, therefore if you eat something bacteria may go inside you, whereas by doing it before the bacteria is killed/removed from your mouth before you eat.

Hence i do it before 😎
Before
before breakfast but after dinner :dontknow:
Both. :yep: Before and after :yep:
Original post by chazwomaq
And so does brushing after breakfast, with the added bonus of removing the cornflakes between your teeth, surely?

This

I don't understand why you'd brush before?Do you want your breakfast to taste minty? No.
Do you want to have breakfast fulled (braces for me :tongue:) teeth for the rest of the day? No.
Brush after, for a brighter day.
Brace yourself :colone:
If I have say...work then I guess I'd do it before. If not, then after but after about half an hour

It is recommendedthat you do your toothbrush before eating really and then spitting the toothpaste out as opposed to rinsing your mouth out. I don't understand the "But isn't it minty" and I'm like...no? But then I guess I use Sensodyne toothpaste which in fairness isn't exactly all that minty.
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
This

I don't understand why you'd brush before?Do you want your breakfast to taste minty? No.
Do you want to have breakfast fulled (braces for me :tongue:) teeth for the rest of the day? No.
Brush after, for a brighter day.
Brace yourself :colone:

If you've eaten acidic food it can be detrimental to brush straight afterwards as it erodes the weakened enamel. However for meals that are high in sugar and carbohydrates, which applies to a lot of breakfast cereals, brushing straight afterwards actually helps a lot by removing the bacteria that attack the enamel in the first place.
Both lol #braces :tongue:
Reply 31
You are ment to do it at least half an hour after so that's what I do.
Original post by TimGB
If you've eaten acidic food it can be detrimental to brush straight afterwards as it erodes the weakened enamel. However for meals that are high in sugar and carbohydrates, which applies to a lot of breakfast cereals, brushing straight afterwards actually helps a lot by removing the bacteria that attack the enamel in the first place.

dude my food has ph >7

Spoiler

Original post by UWS
After

Why brush before eating, that kinda makes it redundant :s-smilie:

Dentists recommend it. You risk damaging your teeth with acidic stuff like...tea and coffee or orange juice
http://www.colgate.com/en/us/oc/oral-health/basics/brushing-and-flossing/article/is-brushing-teeth-after-eating-good-for-you-0313
Reply 34
You should always brush 30 minutes after eating, (definitely not before that just kills the purpose). Here’s why:
According to the Mayo Clinic, if you've consumed anything acidic, you should avoid brushing your teeth for at least 30 minutes. Foods containing citric acid, like oranges, grapefruits and lemons, weaken tooth enamel. Brushing too soon after eating them can damage the enamel in its weakened state.
After, to get rid of the food in your teeth and any smell. I don't eat acidic food for breakfast (just cereal/toast and coffee) so there's no harm in brushing right after before I go out. And even if I did, once or twice wouldn't do any harm.
Reply 36
Original post by krilew
You should always brush 30 minutes after eating, (definitely not before that just kills the purpose). Here’s why:
According to the Mayo Clinic, if you've consumed anything acidic, you should avoid brushing your teeth for at least 30 minutes. Foods containing citric acid, like oranges, grapefruits and lemons, weaken tooth enamel. Brushing too soon after eating them can damage the enamel in its weakened state.

What you should say is that you should not brush until at least 30 minutes has elapsed since eating.
Also it would be good if you could add the source of your quotation next time.
http://www.colgate.com/en/us/oc/oral-health/basics/brushing-and-flossing/article/is-brushing-teeth-after-eating-good-for-you-0313
Your own source suggests that 'consequently, it's a good idea to brush before eating an acidic food'.

The link below (as posted by @nexttime) gives an additional reason alongside the one you gave:

The equation for caries is "plaque bacteria plus a fermentable carbohydrate equals acid." We can break the equation by removing either the plaque or the carbohydrate. Removing the plaque thoroughly before introducing the carbohydrate prevents acid production.

http://www.rdhmag.com/articles/print/volume-24/issue-2/columns/periodontics/brush-before-eating.html

Hence, I disagree that brushing before kills the purpose.

Original post by ElspethC
After, to get rid of the food in your teeth and any smell. I don't eat acidic food for breakfast (just cereal/toast and coffee) so there's no harm in brushing right after before I go out. And even if I did, once or twice wouldn't do any harm.

The point of brushing teeth is not to get rid of food or smell; although they are useful additions to the brushing experience, you can achieve those things by other means. If you don't brush before, then the plaque bacteria that you haven't removed will produce acid from the point you consume those carbs you mentioned. Hence, you will still have acid in your mouth even if you don't consume something directly acidic.

Also, apart from the fact that this is not once or twice, one thing to remember in life is that it is a lot easier to destroy than to create. The same applies to enamel. I'm not saying that you should stress over it, but you may as well avoid it if you can as opposed to making an invalid excuse.
Reply 37
Original post by RVNmax
What you should say is that you should not brush until at least 30 minutes has elapsed since eating.
Also it would be good if you could add the source of your quotation next time.
Your own source suggests that 'consequently, it's a good idea to brush before eating an acidic food'.

The link below (as posted by @nexttime) gives an additional reason alongside the one you gave:

http://www.rdhmag.com/articles/print/volume-24/issue-2/columns/periodontics/brush-before-eating.html

Hence, I disagree that brushing before kills the purpose.

The point of brushing teeth is not to get rid of food or smell; although they are useful additions to the brushing experience, you can achieve those things by other means. If you don't brush before, then the plaque bacteria that you haven't removed will produce acid from the point you consume those carbs you mentioned. Hence, you will still have acid in your mouth even if you don't consume something directly acidic.

Also, apart from the fact that this is not once or twice, one thing to remember in life is that it is a lot easier to destroy than to create. The same applies to enamel. I'm not saying that you should stress over it, but you may as well avoid it if you can as opposed to making an invalid excuse.

Anyhow, I’m glad I have prompt your response :wink:
Reply 38
Original post by krilew
Anyhow, I’m glad I have prompt your response :wink:

Just trying to help you and everyone else out.
On that note, I'm off brush my teeth. :biggrin:
Original post by ElspethC

Coffee is very acidic.

Latest