Article: Why excellent GCSE grades could get you an unconditional offer

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think the worse unis give unconditional offers just to fill up their courses
Reply 2
Original post by metrize
Not necessarily. My son has an unconditional offer from a top 20 university. They know that with his predicted grades he is likely to also be applying for higher ranked universities, which he is. its a ploy which sometimes gets them better students than with conditional offers.
Original post by metrize

Lancaster, Birmingham, Leicester, Sussex, all make unconditional offers if I recall correctly. And they are arguably not "worse unis".
Do top universities even give unconditional offers?
Original post by DarkEnergy
Lancaster, Birmingham, Leicester, Sussex, all make unconditional offers if I recall correctly. And they are arguably not "worse unis".

I agree
Original post by SM6
Do top universities even give unconditional offers?

See my reply above yours
See my reply above yours

Ohh ok. What about like LSE, UCL Imperial and Warwick?
Original post by SM6
Ohh ok. What about like LSE, UCL Imperial and Warwick?

Definitely not, unless you've already completed your A-levels or equivalent.
Definitely not, unless you've already completed your A-levels or equivalent.

Ah ok. Did you hear about Warwick? Apparently they make offers to 85% applicants it was something on them lines.
Yea, I got an uncon from Liv (and effectively from Exe).

Original post by SM6
Ah ok. Did you hear about Warwick? Apparently they make offers to 85% applicants it was something on them lines.

The offers are rarely unconditional.
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane

Ohh ok thanks for clarifying this.
Original post by SM6

Yeah I saw that thread but people seem to be overreacting massively about that statistic. Getting the offer (except at Oxbridge) is the easy part, meeting it is a completely different story. And most of Warwick's offers are quite high.
Yeah I saw that thread but people seem to be overreacting massively about that statistic. Getting the offer (except at Oxbridge) is the easy part, meeting it is a completely different story. And most of Warwick's offers are quite high.

Yes apparently a lot of people get offered for maths A*A*A but most of them don't meet it. Don't get what's the big deal giving people a fair chance.
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
Yea, I got an uncon from Liv (and effectively from Exe).

What was your offer from Exeter?
People with "excellent" GCSE grades wouldn't care about universities like Birmingham or Liverpool(excluding medicine). They'd be eyeing up Oxbridge and the London universities, not Sussex. It seems like a paradoxical benefit; on one hand you get an unconditional due to excellent GCSEs, but on the other, you could get into a much better uni (for which, unconditional offers aren't given).
I got a lowered offer from a very good university, and an unconditional (if firmed) from another top university.
Original post by JohnGreek
Which ones?

Lowered offer from UCL, unconditional from Birmingham.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
People with "excellent" GCSE grades wouldn't care about universities like Birmingham or Liverpool(excluding medicine). They'd be eyeing up Oxbridge and the London universities, not Sussex. It seems like a paradoxical benefit; on one hand you get an unconditional due to excellent GCSEs, but on the other, you could get into a much better uni (for which, unconditional offers aren't given).

Lol
Original post by JohnGreek
Birmingham's a "top" uni? I'd have thought that you would have formulated your post the other way round (B'ham v.good, UCL "top":wink:

Both are in the Russell Group and are very strong universities in my opinion so my description makes sense to me. I'm not at either of them, however.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending