The Student Room Group

Man pulls off Muslim woman's hijab in London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by akbar0123
Bring back the death penalty for scum like these men

Yeah, let's kill them all.. :cool:
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Let's say that someone did it because it was a religious and racially motivated attack.

Let's compare this to other racially motivated attacks.

How often did you hear of the KKK pantsing dudes? Would you say that if the worst thing the KKK did was pull some random PoC trousers down that they would be as reviled as they are now?

What the man did was bad. That's it. Just bad. It wasn't monstrous. It wasn't worthy of getting more press time than murders, stabbings, assaults or the like. It was embarassing and done as a dominance tactic.

The media concentrating on this is simple social manipulation. When you concentrate on little things like this, you blow it out of proportion and gather an inordinate amount of attention on that while far more important things are going on. Then, when you parenthetically report the things you cannot hide, you keep people thinking on things that really aren't that important in the grand scheme of things.

You are implying that I have said pulling down someone trousers is a worse crime than lynching, or that pulling someones hijab off is a worse crime than murder. If you can provide evidence of me ever claiming this, please point me to it.

But I am pointing out that similar acts can be done based on different motivations. Calling your friend a "****ing dick" and calling a random stranger the same name are generally not considered equal (even though both involve saying the same two words) and often elicit different responses because of this.
Original post by The Epicurean
You are implying that I have said pulling down someone trousers is a worse crime than lynching, or that pulling someones hijab off is a worse crime than murder. If you can provide evidence of me ever claiming this, please point me to it.

But I am pointing out that similar acts can be done based on different motivations. Calling your friend a "****ing dick" and calling a random stranger the same name are generally not considered equal (even though both involve saying the same two words) and often elicit different responses because of this.

I'm not implying you at all - I was implying that the media paying attention to this is suggesting this is a a worse crime than stabbing someone as they are paying an inordinate amount of attention on it. So are we, in fact, and we seem to be far more offended by this act than we are of the stabbings themselves.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dandaman1
Exactly. If I walked up and intentionally punched you, it would be assault no matter the reason, be it because I was having a bad day, I didn't like your face, or whatever. But if I punched you because you were gay, suddenly that's a whole new crime that will be treated more seriously, despite the fact I intentionally did the exact same thing with the exact same result.

In my opinion, hate crimes shouldn't be a thing. Why? We already have offences that cover this stuff: assault, harassment, murder... The existence of this crime category is merely political. We want to punish people further for their beliefs and signal how much we don't tolerate said beliefs.

Exactly.
Original post by mkap
yeah why? :smile:

Just a gentle reminder that it's good to protect your modesty with hijab.

How does a Hijab protect modesty?
Original post by AperfectBalance
How does a Hijab protect modesty?

Covers the woman's hair
Covers the woman's hair

What is immodest about having your hair showing? :beard:
Covers the woman's hair

And showing Hair is immodest?
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42

It is immodest, yes. For a woman.
Reply 130

lol dont get into a debate about it. my religon states its wrong for me to show my hair and i understand why

There is nothing immodest about showing hair.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
There is nothing immodest about showing hair.

To you. But an 18th century Hawaiian girl being modest looks very different to a 19th century Victorian woman.

Accept that they think it's a modesty issue even if you don't understand.

That said, these two events were idiots being idiots and they should be treated as such and given exactly as much press time and outrage as that deserves.
Original post by ThatOldGuy
To you. But an 18th century Hawaiian girl being modest looks very different to a 19th century Victorian woman.

Accept that they think it's a modesty issue even if you don't understand.

That said, these two events were idiots being idiots and they should be treated as such and given exactly as much press time and outrage as that deserves.

I don't care what they see as immodest, any rational person can see that showing one's hair isn't immodest.

Are you suggesting girls who show their hair are immoral and aren't modest?

And as for your previous post, wtf? You'd ask for the death penalty just for this event happening. That's something ISIS would do and whoever repped your shocking post makes me fear for humanity.
Lmao at people calling for death penalties. Come on now, kids. If some bloke pulled my pants down in the street I don't think you'd suddenly start a lynch mob on my behalf, even though my modesty has gone out of the window just the same.

The sluttiest girls always have their hair on show obv
Original post by Retired_Messiah
The sluttiest girls always have their hair on show obv

Ah, but then we have that "being one of the sluttiest girls" -> "having hair showing". The converse is not necessarily true. :colonhash:
Ah, but then we have that "being one of the sluttiest girls" -> "having hair showing". The converse is not necessarily true. :colonhash:

Yeah I'm talking out of my rectum what else is new
Wait. So if someone forcibly removes your clothing that makes you immodest now? Isn't modesty a personality trait, a behaviour, not a piece of clothing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by My Moon <3
Some say women look better without underwear too :colonhash: does that mean they should take it off....? :h:

:getmecoat:

yes plz

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending