The Student Room Group

London Jubilee Line bomber not Islamist

Scroll to see replies

Why is this not in bbc news?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I am awaiting the mass hysterical reaction from the press this morning to the news that the device planted on the Jube was left there by a white non-Muslim 19-yr old LMU student from Devon, Damon Smith.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/23/teenager-linked-to-tube-bomb-plot-was-poker-loving-loner/

It is just outrageously wrong that this was not left by a bearded Islamist. Standards must be maintained.

So hang on a minute.

You start a thread which attempts to satirise the press for always banging on about the Muslim background of terrorists, by pointing to the white, non Muslim background of a recently arrested terrorist suspect.

And then, a few minutes after you post it turns out that he WAS a Muslim after all?

Embarrassing. :biggrin:

(Also, what exactly are the press to do? If the suspects of a terrorist act they are covering are Muslims from a BME background are they supposed to photo shop shave the beard off, and whiten their mug shots???)
Original post by astutehirstute
So hang on a minute.

You start a thread which attempts to satirise the press for always banging on about the Muslim background of terrorists, by pointing to the white, non Muslim background of a recently arrested terrorist suspect.

And then, a few minutes after you post it turns out that he WAS a Muslim after all?

Embarrassing. :biggrin:

(Also, what exactly are the press to do? If the suspects of a terrorist act they are covering are Muslims from a BME background are they supposed to photo shop shave the beard off, and whiten their mug shots???)

Totally embarrassing. :blush:

Although to be fair, we don't really know that he's a Muslim as yet, or just has a severe personality disorder.

Come to think of it, maybe that's always the case.
Reply 23
Oh dear. Looks like I spoke too soon. The Mail says he reads the Koran.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3865254/Pictured-baby-faced-teenage-poker-fan-quizzed-bomb-Tube-device-Devon-property.html

Oh and he is studying (or was studying - presumably he won't be going back) IT at LMU, the classic mad bomber course.
I think that the reason for labeling someone as an Islamist jihadist or whatever is the motive for their ultimate violent action, not what they used to do or used to be like. It may have nothing to do with violent jihad, or he may be recently radicalised and following Allah's orders. I don't know, and you don't know.

As with all these cases, people should refrain from making rash judgements until all the evidence is available. Otherwise, some people are going to look silly.
Original post by ikhan94

That is rather puzzling. Perhaps he isn't Muslim enough? So he's "just another bomber"?

London Evening Standard now has video of him firing his gun at home.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/footage-emerges-of-tube-bomb-plot-suspect-firing-gun-at-home-a3377151.html
Reply 25
Well, yes, guilty as charged, except I was trying to mock the way the bulk of the media do that. Perhaps my attempt at irony was a fail.
But it's not the bulk of the media. It's just the Mail and Sun. And even then, I've still yet to be shown any of these articles where they call "all Muslims terrorists" as we keep being told they do.
That is rather puzzling. Perhaps he isn't Muslim enough? So he's "just another bomber"?

London Evening Standard now has video of him firing his gun at home.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/footage-emerges-of-tube-bomb-plot-suspect-firing-gun-at-home-a3377151.html

Yup true....if he was muslim this would be breaking news...
Original post by QE2
But it's not the bulk of the media. It's just the Mail and Sun. And even then, I've still yet to be shown any of these articles where they call "all Muslims terrorists" as we keep being told they do.

Most of the big media run the distinction between your ordinary, run of the mill, maniac bomber and 'extremist' = radical Jihadi = brown man with beard or possibly brown woman in hijab.

It's interesting to look down the headlines at this one.
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=damon+smith&tbm=nws

Most are calling him things like 'teenage bomber'. If he was definitely brown and definitely Muslim, it would be 'Muslim terrorist'.
Reply 28
I can't help being very curious about how someone can be so confused and isolated that they think it's OK and acceptable to plant a bomb on a tube train - which will very likely kill and maim Muslims as well - because they've seen some stuff on YouTube saying it's all fine.

Are people really that confused? Or is there something about some young guys that they think that cruelly hurting other people at a distance like this is interesting or even fun? What is it in society and our culture that makes that look that way to them?
It's nothing new or mysterious. It's just abrogation of moral responsibility to a higher power and dehumanisation of the "out-group", usually under the direction of a charismatic leader. History is full of examples, it's just that because of social media and the internet, it can now be done on an individual basis.
Original post by ikhan94

It's not really important news.
Reply 30
Most of the big media run the distinction between your ordinary, run of the mill, maniac bomber and 'extremist' = radical Jihadi = brown man with beard or possibly brown woman in hijab.

It's interesting to look down the headlines at this one.
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=damon+smith&tbm=nws

Most are calling him things like 'teenage bomber'. If he was definitely brown and definitely Muslim, it would be 'Muslim terrorist'.
But that was my point. The serious media would not be calling him a "Muslim terrorist". If you read the Guardian, you will be hard pressed to find references to religion. Attackers tend to be referred to by nationality or ethnicity and any links to Islam downplayed, even when apparent.
Reply 31
Original post by ikhan94
Yup true....if he was muslim this would be breaking news...
Erm, it's been headline news for the last 4 days!
Original post by QE2
But that was my point. The serious media would not be calling him a "Muslim terrorist". If you read the Guardian, you will be hard pressed to find references to religion. Attackers tend to be referred to by nationality or ethnicity and any links to Islam downplayed, even when apparent.

The Guardian I agree wouldn't, but the dear old middle of the road BBC aren't above doing it. The Telegraph usually do and the Times, whilst choosing words more carefully, wouldn't fail to involve Islam somewhere in the title.

The interesting story developing here is that we appear to have a classic loony tunes groomed wannabe Jihadi who is Not Brown and therefore Not a Muslim Terrorist but in fact a Teen Bomber. Thank goodness. :rolleyes:
Original post by QE2
Erm, it's been headline news for the last 4 days!

They've only just arrested and identified him. This would be a much bigger rolling news story on all channels if he had been recognisably bearded and originating from Muslim lands. As it stands, hardly a mention in the broadcast media.

Clearly bombing isn't something that matters these days unless you are clearly stereotypable. Must be disappointing for all the little loons planning copycats who do not hail from Pakistan, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.
The only possible explanation for his cack handed attempt at terrorism is it was a deserapte cry for help after enrolling on a degree in word processing at London Met.

Clearly bombing isn't something that matters these days unless you are clearly stereotypable. Must be disappointing for all the little loons planning copycats who do not hail from Pakistan, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.

You are being flippant, but I think there is a serious point here.

Some French media outlets are now refraining from naming Islamist terrorists because part of the motive is deemed to be the global fame and glory you get, in death, from the 24/7 rolling news. They want to deny them this.

It seems a bit Canute like, but shows the symbiosis that exists, with the terrorists feeding off the media who feed off the terrorists,and so on and on.
Original post by Quantex
The only possible explanation for his cack handed attempt at terrorism is it was a deserapte cry for help after enrolling on a degree in word processing at London Met.

:rofl: :rofl:
I can't help being very curious about how someone can be so confused and isolated that they think it's OK and acceptable to plant a bomb on a tube train - which will very likely kill and maim Muslims as well - because they've seen some stuff on YouTube saying it's all fine.

Are people really that confused? Or is there something about some young guys that they think that cruelly hurting other people at a distance like this is interesting or even fun? What is it in society and our culture that makes that look that way to them?

It isn't just guys.

Have you ever read the story of the Branch Davidians at Waco? Or the mass suicide at Jonestown in Guyana? Or even the Manson girls?

The Jihadis are essentially joining a cult like those were, and their psychological profiles will be very similar.
Ahhh, typical London Met. I'd say he brought shame to his university but it can't really sink any lower.
White people NEED to stop doing this kind of stuff

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending