The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nah I don't think it matters.
I'm 19, one of my best friends here is a mature student though, 34 with two children. I don't see her as being any different.
Reply 2
Even more impressive for a parent to go to Uni
Reply 3
Yeah definitely. She takes her oldest son to classes and the younger one to a childminder; comes in and does her lectures etc, then leaves again. If we need to do groupwork she always finds the time for that...I know I couldn't even manage with one child but hers are 5 and 2 and she manages fine.
Reply 4
Glad to read this. I was such an idiot this morning. I was reading the results threads and burst into tears because I am going in as a graduate at the age of 34 and have not experienced this kind of excitement this time, no one has said well done and everyone thinks I'm mad! I was going "boo hoo wish I'd done this when I was 18!"
Reply 5
Aww.
Well done pharmgirl! :biggrin: I'm sure you'll have a great time.
Reply 6
Aw thanks cpj1987! :biggrin:
Reply 7
I think it will bother younger people more than it will me to be honest ... I wouldnt have wanted to go when I was 18 as I was busy at war but I feel that I wont be as hard in your 30's as it is at 18 having to deal with moving and all that lot gets easier the older you are :smile:
Reply 8
Age isn't a problem. In my year there were several of us who were mature students - and in some of our cases the word mature means mature. However it didn't stop us being fully involved in all aspects of the course, and having friends of all ages.
Reply 9
Doesn't matter in the slightest. I'm 20 and some of my closest friends are mature students.

Just get involved and no-one will treat you any different.
pharmgirl
Glad to read this. I was such an idiot this morning. I was reading the results threads and burst into tears because I am going in as a graduate at the age of 34 and have not experienced this kind of excitement this time, no one has said well done and everyone thinks I'm mad! I was going "boo hoo wish I'd done this when I was 18!"

I say well done you! I think you are never to old or to young to learn. So what ur not 18. Gettin into Uni is a big deal and you deserve to be congratulation no matter what age you are.

The only advice I would give you is dont enter with the mentality 'Oh, Im older than everyone else'. Nobody will care. But if you make a big deal out of it, others mite pick up on it and in turn think that the age diff is a big deal when it really isnt.

Best of luck with your course

x
Reply 11
My mom is 45 & going into her last year of uni :smile: She loves it.
im the exact opposite. im 17 and probs will be younger than evy1 else (im not 18 till next yr). im worried this will hold me back cause everyone else will be out drinkin and goin to clubs, and i wont be able to :frown:
ive never cared about my age before, but now i wish i was just 6 months older
Reply 13
Aww don't worry too much LittleMissVet, one of my flatmates last year was 17. He's only just turned 18 now, a whole year after the start of uni, but he had no problems fitting in. There's plenty to do without going to clubs all the time!
i know i probs shouldnt worry so much :smile: anyways i heard the union staff r leniant on freshers week anyway. is that true?
Reply 15
Hm, I'm not entirely sure. There'll be places you can get in but I don't think there's any leniency for Fresher's week, you just have to find the right places.
oh well. i was hopin that was true. but i didnt really beleive it. ill just keep tellin myself its only 6 months. im sure theres plenty more i can get up to
Reply 17
Hehe yeah. Just try out a lot of places when you get to uni, and see where you can get in and where you can't. There's bound to be some places that you can get in underage, so make the most of those. :smile:
Reply 18
My mum was around 50 when she went back to uni to finish off her PhD (this was a couple of years ago). I went there once, and a lot of the students were much younger than her, but she made some good friends there and it didn't really seem like there was much of a problem or anything. So no not really.
Reply 19
There is a bit more to Uni than drinking but I guess thats an Age/Peer Pressure thing

Latest

Trending

Trending