The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham vs Exeter

I have received an offer from Exeter BSc Finance and Durham BSc Finance + a foundation year. The only issue with Durham is that when I'm in my first I will be like 20 years old. Should I still go with Durham as it's more prestigious. I'd be grateful if you can give your take on this 🙏
Reply 1
when im in my first year*
so after completing the foundation year i will be like 20
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Why would it make a difference whether you are 20? You'll be completely indistinguishable from the school leavers on the course...

Uni isn't like school. People aren't segregated by age.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I have received an offer from Exeter BSc Finance and Durham BSc Finance + a foundation year. The only issue with Durham is that when I'm in my first I will be like 20 years old. Should I still go with Durham as it's more prestigious. I'd be grateful if you can give your take on this 🙏

Hiya

I would not worry about age when coming to uni. People in their 30s, 40s, 50s and even higher go to uni and that's completely acceptable, you'll be only 20! I would say absolutely go for it :smile:

-Himieka
Reply 4

Go to Exeter it's far nicer.

Durham isn't 'more prestigious' at all.

Whilst I would recommend Exeter based on personal preferences, I think it is honestly best that if you physically can, you should go to both universities on open days to get a feel of which you would prefer.

I would honestly not let “prestige” form a part of your judgement as you may well find the institution to not be quite what it’s cranked up to be. I also wouldn’t let your age upon starting first year be a deciding factor as age doesn’t really matter at uni and most people in your year would probably never know you are a year older than them unless you went ahead and told them (and it’s not like they’d care anyway if they’re decent human beings).

fyi, age is nothing to worry about! there are people in my college here in their late 20s studying their first year. we have people in their 50s/60s too like it couldn’t be less of a problem

Quick Reply

Latest