The Student Room Group

Second year entry into university - pros/cons? (Edinburgh, Biological sciences)

Help is welcome from anyone that went straight into 2nd year, no matter what uni.

So, I am considering applying for a second year entry to Edinburgh for Bioogical sciences to save a year in my studies. Age isn't a problem as I'd be 19 when I'll be enrolling and I don't think content would be much of a problem. I am concerned about making friends (how many people usually enroll for 2nd year entry) or some important parts/events/practicals of the first year of the university. Basically, if you could tell me your experience. Thank you so much!
Perhaps you should ask this in the University of Edinburgh forum, you're more likely to get replies there. I'm sure this question has been asked before, you might want to use the forums search function.

But it isn't uncommon for people to skip the first year in Scotland; the first year is about the same level as A2 and Advanced Highers, so there will be lots of people in the same boat as you - I don't think it will be hard making friends.
Reply 2
Hello! I did Advanced Entry for Politics at Dundee. So a completely different subject for you, but briefly:

I found it difficult, socially. Not academically, it was like my A2s, but socially it was not the best. It could be due to my year, however. Everyone else was in their second year and were not living in halls like me, so they barely took me on. I spoke to people in class, but it was just about work (and still is like that now in third year, although it's not as bad since we all know each other's names, and classes are smaller).

But then, it might be different for you! You will have labs, which are smaller than the big lectures I had last year, so you will have more opportunities to get to know people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending