The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Uni of edinburgh or nottingham for psychology?

I've been to both of these unis for open days and I felt really disappointed by Edinburgh due to their lack of organization although I am aware of the grand scale of people attending, but the city is literally everything I've wanted (coastal/ access to the ocean, beautiful architecture, vibrant and lively) and I think it would be the craziest experience should I move away to Scotland. The course itself didn't really appeal to me as it did in Nottingham since psychology in Edinburgh is much more stats heavy (I don't mind it I suppose). Nottingham on the other hand, I love the university itself but its close to home and I'm not too sure about the city (haven't actually seen it much). I suppose one could argue that I could just live in Edinburgh after university but!!!!!
Can anyone give me some advice about it. Realistically Edinburgh is too far away and I could get really lonely and also, the professor at the university giving information about the course didn't seem too approachable? (My own judgement, sorry) Nottingham had lovely staff and pupils.
Other unis I was thinking about are Loughborough (1.5 hours away) , Lancaster (2.5 hours away) and maybe Newcastle (3.5 hours away) but I haven't seen them in person yet.
Original post by Anonymous
I've been to both of these unis for open days and I felt really disappointed by Edinburgh due to their lack of organization although I am aware of the grand scale of people attending, but the city is literally everything I've wanted (coastal/ access to the ocean, beautiful architecture, vibrant and lively) and I think it would be the craziest experience should I move away to Scotland. The course itself didn't really appeal to me as it did in Nottingham since psychology in Edinburgh is much more stats heavy (I don't mind it I suppose). Nottingham on the other hand, I love the university itself but its close to home and I'm not too sure about the city (haven't actually seen it much). I suppose one could argue that I could just live in Edinburgh after university but!!!!!
Can anyone give me some advice about it. Realistically Edinburgh is too far away and I could get really lonely and also, the professor at the university giving information about the course didn't seem too approachable? (My own judgement, sorry) Nottingham had lovely staff and pupils.
Other unis I was thinking about are Loughborough (1.5 hours away) , Lancaster (2.5 hours away) and maybe Newcastle (3.5 hours away) but I haven't seen them in person yet.

I haven't actually seen Edinburgh or Manchester universities in person (and yes, I applied to both and they are my safeties). The last time I went to Edinburgh city was when I was 2. What I will say is after you apply, many universities hold events for offer holders where you will be able to get a taste for the city like Edinburgh (I know because I applied and I got an offer from there. They sent an email round to offer holders with details to events they will be holding next year for us). Living close to home is not a problem for many people but it doesn't give you the true university experience which many people are after. However, my logic is that if the university you are applying to is extremely good for your course, I don't see why living close to that university should be a reason not to apply.
If you didn't like the professors and students on the Open Day, a day where universities put on an ostentatious display of what it is like to be here, then I don't think you would like to study in Edinburgh and as many uni students will tell you, university is far different in real life compared to what you see on Open Days. That's what put me off from applying to Warwick. It is extremely good for CS but I felt as though I couldn't warm to the DoS or any other members of staff there, which put me off from applying.
You might not be able to enter the university buildings yourself but I'm sure you get a good enough vibe just by travelling to those cities yourself. You don't have to visit every city in person to decide whether you want to apply there or not. If you contact your school, I'm sure there will be alumni who will have entered those universities (maybe not for your course but they can still be useful in holistically informing you about the university) and they may even be able to tell you about what it is like to study your course as they may have friends who are currently doing it or know someone who is doing it.
Good luck with your application and I hope this helped :wink:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Hi!

Choosing a university can be really difficult. I'd recommend making a pros and cons list for each of your options and seeing which factors on the list matter to you the most. One thing I'd say is that liking the course can be a big bonus in helping you to stay motivated over the three years of your degree. Having a friendly department is also really important as you should be able to feel that you can ask for support if you need it. I ended up picking my uni based on which one felt the most comfortable to me.
Going to a university close to you doesn't necessarily mean you don't get the full university experience, you can still live in halls and join all the same societies.
Also it's great to hear you're considering Lancaster, hope you can make it to an open day/offer holder day!

Hope this helps and feel free to ask if you have any questions about studying at Lancaster.

Becky (Lancaster university student ambassador)
(edited 5 months ago)

Hi there,

Great to hear you are thinking about Loughborough :smile:

I would recommend you take a look at our Psychology course page here. There is lots of information about entry requirements and it shows you what modules you can take each year which may interest you.

If you have any questions about Loughborough in general I am more than happy to help- I have just finished my second year at Loughborough so can give you some insight.

I hope this helps :smile:

Alex

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending