The Student Room Group

history or geography?

Hi, I just started using TRC. I just started year nine and I will have to choose my GCSE subjects in two months time. All of my friends seem to know what they're choosing but I'm still unsure. I want to work, either in medicine or economics .

The subjects that I'm certain that I will pick are:
maths
English Literature
English Language
Triple science
Business studies
Computer science
Spanish

I now have one subject left to choose and I'm stuck between History and Geography. I find both very interesting and easy. In my recent history assessment, we had to write any essay on which event we think in the 20th century was the most significant. The maximum grade was a 7a but I somehow managed to get a 8c. In the latest geography test I achieved a 7a.

So I'm doing well in both of these subjects, and I find both equally as interesting. But I'm stuck on which one to choose. I need to make the decision by January, so please respond thanks!
I think you should pick whichever you think you could get a better grade in. It may also help you to think about which A Levels you might take. If you want to take History or Geography at A Level (if you decided you wanted to do Economics at uni for example, either subject would compliment your application), some sixth forms require you to have taken it at GCSE first, so that's something to consider and look into before making your decision.

Generally though, it's a good idea to pick the subject which you like most and are most likely to get the best grade in :smile:
History.
History is far more interesting, geography is easier. In my opinion. I take both for GCSE.
took both for gcses found history sososo much easier to revise than geog but both equally interesting. if i were you ditch business studies bc it sounds dull (that may be just me) and do hist And geog they're super great. maybe take a look at some past papers and think about the way they question you and which you're better at?

Quick Reply

Latest