The Student Room Group

Why do laptops always seem to break?

About three laptops I have had have all broken usually the power cord goes first whereas my desktop is still hoeing strong.

Scroll to see replies

Reminds me.

I want my Mac back, my Mum's laptop sucks. :angry::angry:
i feel ya :dancing2:

im acc quite enjoying this accidental hiatus in a way
makes you appreciate things more tbh, plus i can still do all my work so meh
just got to be resourceful
My mac is amazing! It has been perfect for three years now :smile: #Moooose
Ive had my desktop for years, technically Ive had parts of it for years but when bits get slow or old i replace them, so that would be why its lasted so much longer. Its much harder to replace pieces in laptops and my fans always die due to my awful habit on putting them on my bed/knees so ive had tons!
Yep, same here. And it doesn't matter what the quality of the laptop is - I've had a £2,800 Macbook Pro and a £300 HP laptop break roughly at the same time - 2 years in. Laptops seem to be consumables for me, much as I hate that.
Reply 6
I've got 4 laptops at the moment, and none of them have officially "broken" yet - even the power supplies are intact.

Oldest one is about 10 years old (Fujitsu E8020) running XP and is still going fine.

8 year old XP machine (Packard Bell Easynote MV46) is going fine, apart from a couple of replacement cooling fans.

5 year old Acer Aspire (Windows 7) is fully functional (though needs an OS reinstall) - how, I don't know, as it has cooked itself from since it was 6 months old!

1 year old HP 15ac153sa fully functional (dual boot Win7/Win10) and is my daily driver.

I have seen some people go through laptops very quickly - if they get moved about a lot and not looked after too greatly, they will break - but look after them with care and use them as you would normally do a desktop (as well as occasionally use it on battery for portability when needed) and they will last... and last!
They clearly have planned obsolescence. My parents first oven lasted 27 years whereas now you would be lucky to get 10.
Don't listen to these people talking about spending a thousand on a Macbook, I am a fan of Apple Macbooks but don't be brainwashed.

I laptop is very compact version of a desktop so of course it won't be as durable. I've owned 5 laptops and 2 desktops in my lifetime and I have come to realization that laptops, despite the fact they are very compact and convenient, they are just sh**. Of course they'll break they are fitting everything in a big desktop in a small space, they can't fit it all in there... otherwise desktops won't be this big would they!

I purchased my desktop after having enough of repairing and buying new laptops every few months and I tell you I ain't been happier. I don't think I will ever go back to a laptop as my primary computer again. I've had this desktop for well over 5 years, still like new. I know the fact that you can go on your laptop in bed rather then getting up is the worst part, but at the same time gets you up rather than being lazy in your bed all day!
eeerrrm, because it's a portable device and gets moved around, suffers vibration and shock when it's moved around, is generally treated poorly, people trip over the cords, the screen is hinged, cables strain and get trapped etc. etc.

Desktop devices stay in one place and the power cord is never touched ergo it lasts a lot longer than a portable device.
I've never had a laptop break on me, although I did destroy my last Macbook by tipping coffee into it (insurance company paid out more than it cost, so no problem).
Original post by karl pilkington
About three laptops I have had have all broken usually the power cord goes first whereas my desktop is still hoeing strong.

Your desktop sits still for months or years at a time, the only things that move are the hard drive and fans that are intended to move. Laptops gets picked up and put down, plugged and unplugged, shaken around in bags, they fluctuate in temperature a lot more, and have more moving parts like the hinge. There are simply more points for failure and opportunities to take damage. If you nailed your laptop to the desk, glued the hinge open and soldered your power cord into the socket, it would probably last as long as your desktop.
i have a laptop, about 200 pounds i think (:s)
It's lasted me 5 years and still works fine.... okay yes the battery died about 3 years ago but the power cable hasnt died :smile: not even that slow. My broadband is whats the worst, it cuts out too often :/

you do realise that power cords are replaceable?
Reply 15
Don't get me started on INSPIRONS. Had a 1564 which would overheat in the arctic - thermal throttling practically 100% of the time.

Laptops: more portable than a desktop (but look at micro sized ones if you have access to a screen where you want to be), easier to break than a desktop, easier and more popular to steal than a desktop, harder to expand / repair than a desktop, etc etc etc.
.. and on top of all that, more expensive than a desktop.
Original post by z.amin
Don't get me started on INSPIRONS. Had a 1564 which would overheat in the arctic - thermal throttling practically 100% of the time.

Original post by unprinted
Laptops: more portable than a desktop (but look at micro sized ones if you have access to a screen where you want to be), easier to break than a desktop, easier and more popular to steal than a desktop, harder to expand / repair than a desktop, etc etc etc.

My last five laptops have been acers, and granted to pay more for a good acer, i do think they are worth it. With the correct usage they tend to last at least 2/3 years before they begin to slow down?!
Original post by john2054
My last five laptops have been acers, and granted to pay more for a good acer, i do think they are worth it. With the correct usage they tend to last at least 2/3 years before they begin to slow down?!

What slows them down is software: either a yet more bloated version of Windows or the assorted crap that Windows programs tend to leave even after being uninstalled.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending