London

Can I get into Imperial?

I got BBCU at AS and my predictions are AAB:

(UMS)
Math (C). Predicted (B)
Physics (B: 78%). Predicted (A)
Chemistry (B: 79%). Predicted (A)
Economics (U)

These grades are relatively terrible when applying for Computing at Imperial, so i'm nearly 100% sure I don't have a chance. But if i were to bang straight A*'s (or at least A*AA) in Maths, Physics and Chemistry, take a gap year and then apply with those grades during the gap year, would i have a chance. Most applicants i see have done a crazy number of A-Levels, (like 5) an extra AS and almost all of them do Further Maths, not to mention are most often prefects and have usually done a bizarre amount of programming. The only thing i have done is experiment with game engines like Unreal Engine 4 and i have barely learnt much about game programming. With such overwhelming competition, would triple A*'s and possibly making a video game help me at all?
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
I got BBCU at AS and my predictions are AAB:

(UMS)
Math (C). Predicted (B)
Physics (B: 78%). Predicted (A)
Chemistry (B: 79%). Predicted (A)
Economics (U)

These grades are relatively terrible when applying for Computing at Imperial, so i'm nearly 100% sure I don't have a chance. But if i were to bang straight A*'s (or at least A*AA) in Maths, Physics and Chemistry, take a gap year and then apply with those grades during the gap year, would i have a chance. Most applicants i see have done a crazy number of A-Levels, (like 5) an extra AS and almost all of them do Further Maths, not to mention are most often prefects and have usually done a bizarre amount of programming. The only thing i have done is experiment with game engines like Unreal Engine 4 and i have barely learnt much about game programming. With such overwhelming competition, would triple A*'s and possibly making a video game help me at all?

Few things firstly you need to ask yourself why you did get the grades to begin with. Be honest with yourself as well.
Did you fail to get the grades because you lack the ability?
or was it simply lack of effort?
Significant mitigating circumstances

if you struggle/lack the ability is Imperial the best choice even if you get the grades and get in you might really struggle which may not end up with you graduating with a good degree.

if lack of effort you need to ask why and what is going to change? a degree is a serious commitment so even if you can change during that the next year or two could you maintain that new effort for the a 3/4 year course?

Most people in this scenario will normally select the third option, because it gives them a get out on how thing will be rose and perfect in the future. However be honest with yourself is this legitimate mitigation? is that really a good excuse or could you have not worked round and it and performed better anyway.

Now if you accept 3 and you think it is legitimate are the same issues dealt with can they be dealt with or will they resurface again?

sometimes there are legitimate reasons and improvements that can be made and things will work out or people truly learn from past mistakes but you need to be honest with yourself because not doing so poses a risk to your future.

Now as for actually getting into Imperial normally for such competitive courses you need to exceed the entry requirements because they will reject most applicants who meet or are expected to meet them.

so you will need to get very good grades and may still get rejected we can only speculate.

never give up if you are serious though. Just remember your grades still are pretty good and you likely could still get onto a decent course though not as good as imperial. With a good degree you could still get a decent job. So its not game over yet.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending