The Student Room Group
New College of the Humanities
Northeastern University London
Visit website

NCH 2017 Applicants

Hello,

I've applied to NCH to study an Economics with Politics & International Relations BSc. I submitted my application over the October half term (outside of UCAS, so they had to wait for my reference to be sent over), had my interview on November 16th and then got an offer today (November 30th). My predicted grades are A*A*A with the A*s in Economics and History and an A in Maths.

Anyone else out there with interviews/offers/considering applying? Where else have you applied?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm going to be applying fairly soon, once I confirm a few things about finance. I'll be applying for straight Law.
Predicted A*AA in Psychology Politics and Biology respectively. I've applied to KCL, UCL, Durham and York as well.
What were the conditions of your offer, out of curiosity?
New College of the Humanities
Northeastern University London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Sarahorr1_
Hello,

I've applied to NCH to study an Economics with Politics & International Relations BSc. I submitted my application over the October half term (outside of UCAS, so they had to wait for my reference to be sent over), had my interview on November 16th and then got an offer today (November 30th). My predicted grades are A*A*A with the A*s in Economics and History and an A in Maths.

Anyone else out there with interviews/offers/considering applying? Where else have you applied?

Congrats!
I've gotten an interview to the same course, but I'm quite nervous.. How was it for you? What kind of unseen text did you get?
Reply 3
Original post by Michael_Fishy
I'm going to be applying fairly soon, once I confirm a few things about finance. I'll be applying for straight Law.
Predicted A*AA in Psychology Politics and Biology respectively. I've applied to KCL, UCL, Durham and York as well.
What were the conditions of your offer, out of curiosity?

I have an unconditional offer
Reply 4
Original post by Elidan
Congrats!
I've gotten an interview to the same course, but I'm quite nervous.. How was it for you? What kind of unseen text did you get?

I really enjoyed it, but I tend to like most verbal/conversational-type things. I had a passage from a sort of short story, so it wasn't blindingly obvious economics, and there were prompt questions (e.g. how is this economics). The text is more of a warm up but I tried to expand on it a lot, then I got asked about bits from my personal statement like my summer internship and some reading. I wasn't asked much about politics/IR other than why I wanted to do it as he had thought (reading my academic reference) that I would've rather done history as my minor.
I have an unconditional offer

Wow. Congrats!
I got my interview invitation recently. Really looking forward to it.
Reply 6
Wow. Congrats!
I got my interview invitation recently. Really looking forward to it.

Sorry only just seen this - good luck with it/ the result! Yeah I'm really happy but I'm still waiting on a couple of other offers and I'm finding it hard making the choice between London and a more rural/town-y place.
Sorry only just seen this - good luck with it/ the result! Yeah I'm really happy but I'm still waiting on a couple of other offers and I'm finding it hard making the choice between London and a more rural/town-y place.

Thanks, I had the interview on wednesday, it didn't go brilliantly in my opinion, but it was my first real interview so I have nothing to compare it to, it may have gone better than expected

It was also my first time in london and I must admit I fell in love with the city, it was amazing. Massive culture shock for someone like me who's only lived out in the country
Reply 8
Thanks, I had the interview on wednesday, it didn't go brilliantly in my opinion, but it was my first real interview so I have nothing to compare it to, it may have gone better than expected

It was also my first time in london and I must admit I fell in love with the city, it was amazing. Massive culture shock for someone like me who's only lived out in the country

I'm feeling a bit miserable about my NCH application TBH. I was interviewed there for PPH with Politics Major on 30 November. I had interviews at Oxford the week after for Hpol. I was hoping to hear something positive from NCH or at least something definite, but then exactly a fortnight later had an email saying that they needed to give me another interview to make sure I was suitable for their unique teaching style. I thought the first one had gone OK but I had admittedly been rather nervous about it as I was anxious about Oxford. I heard on the 11th that I'd been rejected by Oxford (no surprise! very competitive course!!) and then had to go back up to NCH for another same kind of interview the next day. I still haven't heard whether or not they will take me - maybe not. I am predicted A*A*A at A level. The good news though is that I do have a place at KCL and also heard the next day that I have an offer from Durham. Am inclined now to go with Durham.
Reply 9
Original post by hertagg
I'm feeling a bit miserable about my NCH application TBH. I was interviewed there for PPH with Politics Major on 30 November. I had interviews at Oxford the week after for Hpol. I was hoping to hear something positive from NCH or at least something definite, but then exactly a fortnight later had an email saying that they needed to give me another interview to make sure I was suitable for their unique teaching style. I thought the first one had gone OK but I had admittedly been rather nervous about it as I was anxious about Oxford. I heard on the 11th that I'd been rejected by Oxford (no surprise! very competitive course!!) and then had to go back up to NCH for another same kind of interview the next day. I still haven't heard whether or not they will take me - maybe not. I am predicted A*A*A at A level. The good news though is that I do have a place at KCL and also heard the next day that I have an offer from Durham. Am inclined now to go with Durham.

Well at least a recall is better than an outright rejection- if you were nervous, maybe they just didn't feel you were receptive enough to things they were saying/ too quiet for quite a dialogue/discussion-driven teaching style? I felt like a bit of a tit at how outgoing I was at certain times, especially when the interviewer seemed to laugh at (with?) me but its just another thing that shows you're passionate about your subject. Also, I should think that if you do get rejected on the basis of your suitability for the teaching style, that's actually in your best interests. Personally, I love debate and discussion in lessons so I'm really not sure about 'conventional' unis with lectures and stuff. My only issue with NCH is that its in London and its likely I'll end up living there, or in another city, for the majority of my life so I should stay in the country a little longer, and also being a bit of a lost and poor student in London.
Reply 10

I love London too :smile: It's like my second home lol but unfortunately that's also what's making me apprehensive about studying there- I'd quite like something new.
Re. the interview, all you can do now is wait. I thought I messed it up because I took ages answering a simple maths question (went in prepared for game theory or differentiation applied to econ, and just sat there for a good while looking at the question until he said '...do you want to make an equation..?') but it clearly went fine. And if not it's not the end of the world!
Reply 11
Well at least a recall is better than an outright rejection- if you were nervous, maybe they just didn't feel you were receptive enough to things they were saying/ too quiet for quite a dialogue/discussion-driven teaching style? I felt like a bit of a tit at how outgoing I was at certain times, especially when the interviewer seemed to laugh at (with?) me but its just another thing that shows you're passionate about your subject. Also, I should think that if you do get rejected on the basis of your suitability for the teaching style, that's actually in your best interests. Personally, I love debate and discussion in lessons so I'm really not sure about 'conventional' unis with lectures and stuff. My only issue with NCH is that its in London and its likely I'll end up living there, or in another city, for the majority of my life so I should stay in the country a little longer, and also being a bit of a lost and poor student in London.

I absolutelu LOVE debating and discussing so tutorials are ideal for me. I actually lead the debating society in my school. I did well at the Oxford interviews I was told. So it isn't that. I wouldn't be applyin to NCH otherwise. Bu thanks anyway.
Has anyone received an offer from NCH for Law? :smile:
Original post by Caitlin3
Has anyone received an offer from NCH for Law? :smile:

I did about an hour and a half ago
I did about an hour and a half ago

Congratulations! I did too! Is it your first choice?
Congratulations! I did too! Is it your first choice?

Congrats!
I'm not too sure. Its my first offer but they've given me a scholarship and low entry requirements. Really tempted to make it my first but I'm going to wait to see what other offers come in, as well as what they sort with the student funding this year, since law doesn't get SLC funding as it is. If they sort that it will almost definetly be a firm, otherwiss not sure

What about you? Is it your first?
Congrats!
I'm not too sure. Its my first offer but they've given me a scholarship and low entry requirements. Really tempted to make it my first but I'm going to wait to see what other offers come in, as well as what they sort with the student funding this year, since law doesn't get SLC funding as it is. If they sort that it will almost definetly be a firm, otherwiss not sure

What about you? Is it your first?

I've gotten a few other offers, but I'm also tempted to make it my first choice but i'm not totally sure yet. I'm debating whether or not to go for a more liberal arts approach somewhere else or take law with European legal studies

Where else have you applied?
I've gotten a few other offers, but I'm also tempted to make it my first choice but i'm not totally sure yet. I'm debating whether or not to go for a more liberal arts approach somewhere else or take law with European legal studies

Where else have you applied?

Kings, UCL Durham York and Kent.
KCL UCL and NCH are my top three.
Apart from Kings, I've applied for just Law, I applied for PPL at kings
Kings, UCL Durham York and Kent.
KCL UCL and NCH are my top three.
Apart from Kings, I've applied for just Law, I applied for PPL at kings

Cool! King's is a really nice uni! What are your predicted scores?
Cool! King's is a really nice uni! What are your predicted scores?

A*AA in Psychology Politics and Biolog. WBU?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending