The Student Room Group

Anyone Ever Done a Gliding Scholarship?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
yay I just completed my GS at about half 12 today.
Reply 41
Where? Aircraft? Blue/Silver/Gold?:lolwut:
Congratulations, did you solo? Great way to start 2009!

Richard
Reply 43
I did it at 612 vgs which is in Abingdon. I did it in a Vigilant T Mk 1 and yes I did solo :smile:
Reply 44
Hi, i've been offered a gliding scholarship at Abingdon aswell.
However they have given me two weekends with hopefully 3hours flying each day.
Do you think I will be able to get solo and how is it at Abingdon?

thanks

CD x
Reply 45
MrHowlett
I did it at 612 vgs which is in Abingdon. I did it in a Vigilant T Mk 1 and yes I did solo :smile:

Hi, i've been offered a gliding scholarship at Abingdon aswell.
However they have given me two weekends with hopefully 3hours flying each day.
Do you think I will be able to get solo and how is it at Abingdon?

thanks

CD x
Reply 46
Small world, I know you Mr Howlett :smile:
Reply 47
eyes on
Small world, I know you Mr Howlett :smile:

aha really? well do I know you?
Hi, I did a Royal Navy gliding scholarship at RNAS Yeovilton back in April and it was the best experience of my life. I am not part of the cadets or anything (only Scouts) so it was really great being on a working base and landing at Yeovilton with 2 Junglies behind you in the queue! I got to do 3 solo flights after 23 launches, which was amazing. Anyone who is not in the Air Cadets or whatever should have a look here at the FAAOA, as thats how I applied for mine, alternatively some people got it through their RNLO at the careers office.
http://www.fleetairarmoa.org/
cheers
Reply 49
Came across this thread...perhaps this is an opportune place to ask for advice :wink:

I was an Air Cadet for four years, but my Squadron (to remain anonymous) were unorganised. I applied for a gliding scholarship three times over three years and never got it. I never went flying or shooting with the cadets, in fact I signed up for every opportunity with flying or gliding that there was- and because I had never been I was always placed at the top of the list...but still it never happened.

But funnily enough, two friends of mine from the same squadron applied roughly 6 months after I did and both of these men got it the first time they applied! The first time the staff mentioned that they must have 'misplaced' my application and promised to process the second copy I handed to them.

I am a member of the Air League however it looks like they only offer scholarships to PPL holders or people who are still cadets (I am 20 so too old to be a cadet, although I was never technically 'signed off'). How can I go about getting a flying or gliding scholarship?

Many thanks if you had time to read this! Any advice would be appreciated, sorry it's long xD

Quick Reply

Latest