The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Worst university

I would like to share my experience with Middlesex university. I am at my last year here and since the beginning of my journey the teachers have been very unprofessional and the lectures are just very bad but of course there are 1 or 2 teachers whom are very good out of 10 teachers for example. Most teachers here are after their income, not to teach. Rather than helping you achieve the best they put you down and tell the students that they will fail. The education system here is rubbish, at all costs please avoid this university. I have been here for 3 years and have not learned a single thing. They expect you to know these things before hand and they will not teach you. Teachers here are not willing to teach. As they say its all about the 'MONEY'. If you are coming here to study Computer Engineering, Computer Science or Information Technology. Please choose another university and save your future.

The security is also just worrying here, last year we had 2 people who were stabbed at the university. People can just walk in and do what they want. The only time ID is required is when you go to the Library. I have had so many bad experiences with teachers, most have very low knowledge about the course and just talk ********.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Deathsoul
I would like to share my experience with Middlesex university. I am at my last year here and since the beginning of my journey the teachers have been very unprofessional

Sorry, but what 'journey'?
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London
A couple of things:

Middlesex sucks. Everyone knows it. Take out the medical-allied courses and you have a terrible university. Surely you knew this beforehand?

Security - in fairness, most universities have no real security other than directly on to buildings. The incidents you mention are probably a combination of the quality and ilk of the students, and the population density. A couple of months ago a tourist was stabbed to death basically on the doorstep of SOAS/IoE, but when you take into account the population density, these things are going to happen.

One other thing - the Middlesex you know now is a huge improvement on a few years ago. The bit of Colindale where the halls are has improved out of all recognition in the last 5-6 years. For years, the Grahame Park Estate was just the absolute pits.
Useful to know. I''so sorry for your experiences. Iurge you 100% to complain. The Deans wil take it very seriously and everyone is fearful of the NSS (National Student Survey) coming back not satisfactorily. You should also have a student rep for the year. Write a letter on behalf of the class but put it through them. You should see henomenal changes as the teachers will have to respond. This would all be anonymous by the way.

Alternatively, just try and pass, get that piece of paper and put it behind you. Best of luck x
Reply 4
I wanted to report a teacher and everyone hated the same teacher because she was not teaching us and always arguing with us, also she was very threating. So i asked for everyones signatures to try and get things going on but suddenly everyone backed out! She said 'I will fail you' to me because i spoke up to her and said 'Miss you haven't taught me anything and all you have done is put us lot down' because she was just talking crap and not talking about our module! it was frustrating. So i lost all my motivation towards university now, My attendance has dropped quite a lot. Also we found out that she is the leader of 'Information Technology' which is what i am studying. I was shocked!! how can someone with small knowledge and a brain of a kid teach students. I feel fed up.

Middlesex environment does also suck, there are a lot of people here who are part of gangs and so on. Just to point it on. There are so many students here who is a drug dealer. I just wish i could go back in time and go to another university. Nothing i can do, it just sucks for me.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's not about telling people. It's about people listening.

There are a ton of business and law type courses - these are generally the problem. They are easy and cheap to teach, and there are big pools of low quality home and foreign students.

The foreign students are irrelevant, except that they significantly reduce the quality of the courses and social aspects of the university. The home students are very often made up of relatively local students with fairly poor A-levels. They have probably been told that university will improve their lives, and if they are first generation undergrads, it's very very hard to put them off that perceived opportunity. They will want very much to believe that they can succeed as long as they put the work in. The universities will trot out some stats and tell them that x number of their graduates have gone on to be barristers or merchant bankers - and the students will believe it.

The most often used line is "x uni is actually very highly regarded for subject y" We all know its not true, but the person can't be told. How can they pass up what they see as a life-changing opportunity because someone else (who has almost certainly not been to that institution) says so?

They all think they will buck the trend, and magically all their negatives turn into positives. In this, TSR is especially culpable. They read on here that actually, contrary to what everyone else might think, going to a crap comprehensive school actually makes you a better person and that people who went to the best schools (sometimes the best schools in the world) are not "rounded individuals"......as if an equivalent lower middle-class teenager somehow has some notably superior life experience. Apparently, working hard and struggling through adversity to get your ABD actually makes you a better candidate, than someone who coasted to A*A*A. They think that it's all made up that people at Cambridge and Imperial and UCL and Exeter also struggle sometimes to get training as a lawyer, or on to the best vacation placements in banks, or the best engineering firms. No, they've had a hard life (apparently) and their crap GCSEs, crap A-levels and crap degree from a crap institution is going to turn a roadman into the bloke off Suits.

It's all utter fantasy, and TSR plays its part.
Bear in mind that university is not like school - your lecturers are only really there to guide your learning not to teach you completely from scratch. If you feel their teaching is below standard by all means complain (in the appropriate, official way), but don't just blame them entirely for your lack of understanding/ learning. Spend your time going through the recommended textbooks and using online resources instead :smile:
Original post by Trinculo
In this [Pollyanna attitude], TSR is especially culpable.

I don't see it, except in the advertising and the 'official representative' business.

On the boards it goes much more often too far the other way: Oxbridge or inevitable despair, the sneering at ex-polys and Mickey Mouse degrees.
Reply 8
Is MiddleSex University that bad? There is Middlesex University Campus in Mauritius and apparently It's a good university...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Trevish
Is MiddleSex University that bad? There is Middlesex University Campus in Mauritius and apparently It's a good university...

Posted from TSR Mobile

The education system is quite bad in England, maybe thats why. :smile:

Ah okay. Your name reminds me of a minecraft friend who had same name lel

Rather sweeping generalisation, that!
Hello,

We really value your feedback as students here at Middlesex. We put a lot of effort in ensuring that students have opportunities to feedback about their experiences and these comments are taken very seriously by all staff.

Our campus security has been reviewed and improved to ensure that our students and staff can live and study in a safe environment.
It’s a shame to hear your comments about international students. Middlesex University is built on a pillar of embracing diversity and being inclusive; giving all the students the opportunity to experience an international environment, which will prepare them for a global workforce. Additionally, all our courses have entry requirements to ensure that only students with the potential to succeed are admitted.

In regards to the issues that you are having related to your course, the best thing to do is to get in touch with your Student Voice Leader or with one of the officers of the Students’ Union. The University works in partnership with our Students’ Union to ensure that all student feedback is utilised.

Best wishes

Middlesex University
Original post by Middlesex University
Hello,

We really value your feedback as students here at Middlesex. We put a lot of effort in ensuring that students have opportunities to feedback about their experiences and these comments are taken very seriously by all staff.

Our campus security has been reviewed and improved to ensure that our students and staff can live and study in a safe environment.
It’s a shame to hear your comments about international students. Middlesex University is built on a pillar of embracing diversity and being inclusive; giving all the students the opportunity to experience an international environment, which will prepare them for a global workforce. Additionally, all our courses have entry requirements to ensure that only students with the potential to succeed are admitted.

In regards to the issues that you are having related to your course, the best thing to do is to get in touch with your Student Voice Leader or with one of the officers of the Students’ Union. The University works in partnership with our Students’ Union to ensure that all student feedback is utilised.

Best wishes

Middlesex University

Middlesex University Mauritius Campus seems great though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't actually believe this surely?
I wholeheartedly believe that Durham University is the worst university in the United Kingdom.
Original post by Palmyra
I wholeheartedly believe that Durham University is the worst university in the United Kingdom.

WTF I hate my red trousers now
Based on rankings alone, the overall worst university of 2017 is the London Metropolitan University.
Original post by l'etranger
WTF I hate my red trousers now

:lol:

I really hate how vacuous and empty Durham is, their entire psyche revolves around being a poor imitation of Oxbridge (the College system for instance) whilst simultaneously believing they are a worthy alternative to Oxbridge.
Original post by Palmyra
:lol:

I really hate how vacuous and empty Durham is, their entire psyche revolves around being a poor imitation of Oxbridge (the College system for instance) whilst simultaneously believing they are a worthy alternative to Oxbridge.

Every time I hear the word ''DOxbridge'' I just role my eyes and groan internally. It's so based on unwarranted association

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending