The Student Room Group
Campus
University of Wales Trinity Saint David

Primary Education Interview

Hey!
I sent off my UCAS yesterday at 12 and by 4:00 yesterday I had received my first offer for an interview for the QTS course at Carmarthen, then today at 9:30 my second interview for the Primary Ed course at Carmarthen (and another Uni just gave me a conditional offer, but different uni). My first interview is for the Primary Ed and that is at the start of January and my second in the middle of Feb. Anyone else have an interview? Also, do we have to do a portfolio? I read that on the mytsd thing and got a bit confused as it hadn't been mentioned before... Curious is all I am!
Hey there, just had my interview there today. I would suggest you take a portfolio with you (just three pieces of written work) just in case they ask you about it. Also make sure you do lots of practice for the skills test, as there are a few there that almost caught me out. Good luck when it comes to your interview though.
Campus
University of Wales Trinity Saint David
Original post by SpoonOfTheEarth
Hey there, just had my interview there today. I would suggest you take a portfolio with you (just three pieces of written work) just in case they ask you about it. Also make sure you do lots of practice for the skills test, as there are a few there that almost caught me out. Good luck when it comes to your interview though.

Hey!
Thanks for the response. Ooh, how did it go (do you think?) Ah okay, I will do so. Do you think unmarked work will be okay or marked work? I wasn't sure... Yeah, I did the one that they recommend on mytsr, but there was only one practice, do you know if there are any other practice ones anywhere else? Thank you. I try not to think about it too much. I might have to drive myself down there too which is added pressure as I have never driven that way at all ever before! Thanks!!
Original post by wonderland.16
Hey!
Thanks for the response. Ooh, how did it go (do you think?) Ah okay, I will do so. Do you think unmarked work will be okay or marked work? I wasn't sure... Yeah, I did the one that they recommend on mytsr, but there was only one practice, do you know if there are any other practice ones anywhere else? Thank you. I try not to think about it too much. I might have to drive myself down there too which is added pressure as I have never driven that way at all ever before! Thanks!!

Yeah unmarked ones are fine. If the marking shows that it is a good piece of work however that might be better (I only took unmarked so I'm only guessing).
Don't think there are any other tests, but especially on the numeracy the test had similar if not the same questions included in it. But yeah I think my interview went well overall. Might have been completely unprepared for it but it didn't seem too bad. One last piece of advice, keep your eye on what is happening in Welsh education currently. A couple of the questions in the group discussion were about them, which with me living in the south west of England knew nothing about. Just a quick heads up about that one.
Hi there, I know I’m 2 years late to this conversation, but I’ve got an interview for the same course soon and I was just curious about what they mean by a portfolio? Does that mean any essays/work I’ve done in my A-Level subjects or do they mean lesson plans/things relating to primary education? Also, do you remember any of the types of questions they asked you? Thanks so much in advance :smile:
Original post by pcdrowyso
Hi there, I know I’m 2 years late to this conversation, but I’ve got an interview for the same course soon and I was just curious about what they mean by a portfolio? Does that mean any essays/work I’ve done in my A-Level subjects or do they mean lesson plans/things relating to primary education? Also, do you remember any of the types of questions they asked you? Thanks so much in advance :smile:

Hey! For the portfolio I just took some graded and some ungraded work from my alevel subjects. They didn't really look to be honest, but that might have since changed. Definitely not lesson plans etc unless you've had to do them for something else. They asked many general questions, e.g. why I wanted to teach etc. As the above poster said, current affairs in education (nothing overly detailed but simply a discussion/opinion) knowledge would definitely be beneficial. And what makes a good teacher. I can't really remember much else to be honest. I had a group interview as well as an individual. Obviously all of this is just what I experienced 2 years ago and in Wales, so might be totally different to elsewhere. Good luck!
Hey! For the portfolio I just took some graded and some ungraded work from my alevel subjects. They didn't really look to be honest, but that might have since changed. Definitely not lesson plans etc unless you've had to do them for something else. They asked many general questions, e.g. why I wanted to teach etc. As the above poster said, current affairs in education (nothing overly detailed but simply a discussion/opinion) knowledge would definitely be beneficial. And what makes a good teacher. I can't really remember much else to be honest. I had a group interview as well as an individual. Obviously all of this is just what I experienced 2 years ago and in Wales, so might be totally different to elsewhere. Good luck!

Thank you so much!!
Hey! Have you had your interview? Mine is there on the 23rd..
Hi! Yes I had my interview before Christmas! Very calm interview and very easy basic questions! To begin the day you are taken to a hall where they explain the course. In my previous interviews no one brought their parents so I didn’t ask my parents to come, however, at Trinity everyone brought their parents with them so if you wanted someone to come with you that would be fine. We did some maths and English tests which were easy and wrote a brief essay on the importance of education. There was then a brief tour of the campus led by students currently in their final year and then we were taken in small groups of 5/6 for a group interview. They may give you an item and ask you explain how you would use it in a classroom. After the group interview we all left the room and were invited to come in 1 by 1 for the interview. Mainly concerned with checking your GCSE grades in this part and I had to say one thing I would like to improve upon/ a weakness. Once you finish your solo interview you can leave. The only difficult part of the whole day was finding my way to the car park. Best of luck! Hopefully see you in September!
Hey!
I sent off my UCAS yesterday at 12 and by 4:00 yesterday I had received my first offer for an interview for the QTS course at Carmarthen, then today at 9:30 my second interview for the Primary Ed course at Carmarthen (and another Uni just gave me a conditional offer, but different uni). My first interview is for the Primary Ed and that is at the start of January and my second in the middle of Feb. Anyone else have an interview? Also, do we have to do a portfolio? I read that on the mytsd thing and got a bit confused as it hadn't been mentioned before... Curious is all I am!

Interview tips!!! - I've just finished my final interview for P Ed yesterday! A few tips... if you have a group interview, then don't worry about being the one to always talk and speak out, when I was at one of mine, some of the girls were very very active in the discussion but possibly too much - I was quite reserved, but then said a really good point when I had a chance to speak. It's not about the quanitity of what you say but more the QUALITY!! If you have to do any presentations - be very well prepared, take notes with you as it does look really good and makes you stand out if your'e not always saying "erm.. and erm..". For individual interviews, don't overthing the questions - I have been asked a wide variety! Make yourself aware of current issues - Ofsted, new Reception baseline assessment - too much pressure? Do your research! Why you want to be a teacher..? It's not a trick question- just be honest!!!! Keep smiling throughout the whole thing as they also want to be able to visually see the teacher within you - so if you are sitting there with a blank face, even if you give good answers they probs won't be as engaged to take you on - so SMILE! Be confident! Be YOU! Good Luck xxx
Original post by Amy__Lou2
Interview tips!!! - I've just finished my final interview for P Ed yesterday! A few tips... if you have a group interview, then don't worry about being the one to always talk and speak out, when I was at one of mine, some of the girls were very very active in the discussion but possibly too much - I was quite reserved, but then said a really good point when I had a chance to speak. It's not about the quanitity of what you say but more the QUALITY!! If you have to do any presentations - be very well prepared, take notes with you as it does look really good and makes you stand out if your'e not always saying "erm.. and erm..". For individual interviews, don't overthing the questions - I have been asked a wide variety! Make yourself aware of current issues - Ofsted, new Reception baseline assessment - too much pressure? Do your research! Why you want to be a teacher..? It's not a trick question- just be honest!!!! Keep smiling throughout the whole thing as they also want to be able to visually see the teacher within you - so if you are sitting there with a blank face, even if you give good answers they probs won't be as engaged to take you on - so SMILE! Be confident! Be YOU! Good Luck xxx

These are great tips. I could have used this insight when I applied. I am now half way through 2nd year so if you have any questions about the course itself etc. then feel free to ask!
A.
Original post by pcdrowyso
Hi! Yes I had my interview before Christmas! Very calm interview and very easy basic questions! To begin the day you are taken to a hall where they explain the course. In my previous interviews no one brought their parents so I didn’t ask my parents to come, however, at Trinity everyone brought their parents with them so if you wanted someone to come with you that would be fine. We did some maths and English tests which were easy and wrote a brief essay on the importance of education. There was then a brief tour of the campus led by students currently in their final year and then we were taken in small groups of 5/6 for a group interview. They may give you an item and ask you explain how you would use it in a classroom. After the group interview we all left the room and were invited to come in 1 by 1 for the interview. Mainly concerned with checking your GCSE grades in this part and I had to say one thing I would like to improve upon/ a weakness. Once you finish your solo interview you can leave. The only difficult part of the whole day was finding my way to the car park. Best of luck! Hopefully see you in September!

I am glad that your interview went well- I am actually at Carms studying the course I was asking about in the original post now- in my second year. If you have any questions feel free to give me a shout!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending