The Student Room Group

Is applying for Trinity worth it?

Hello, I have been looking into applying for Cambridge to do maths for a good amount of time now, I was thinking about Trinity but I have noticed a pretty sizeable number of posts on this website that talk about how much they did and all their grades (Just in general, *very* impressive candidates, even by Cambridge standards), but did not get an offer, and in some cases some were not invited to interview whilst clearly being outstanding students. I was wondering, then, if it was better to apply to another college to get a better chance of getting in. I was thinking Trinity Hall or Gonville & Caius, as I have gone to T. Hall a few times and like the campus, and G&C because they run a lot of support programs for my county, and so it might be worth applying to them. Of course, Cambridge will still be selective in the same ways, but from what I have seen, Trinity seems to be a big risk on my chances of getting in. I was wondering if this was true, and if I would benefit from applying to any other colleges? Because honestly I am not super fussed about where I go, I am only worried about getting in, so it would be nice to go to Trinity, but if it is a risk, I should weigh my options carefully.
Trinity is nice but if you want to be on the slightly safer side I'd say go for gonville and caius as its also lovely and support programs between counties could maybe give you an edge. Tit hall is very incestuous and small and is probably as hard as trintity because its so smalll
if a person applies to Trinity, do they have a chance of being pooled to another college?
Reply 3
Original post by beautifulworld
if a person applies to Trinity, do they have a chance of being pooled to another college?

Yes, many Trinity applicants are pooled to various colleges post-interview.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I have been looking into applying for Cambridge to do maths for a good amount of time now, I was thinking about Trinity but I have noticed a pretty sizeable number of posts on this website that talk about how much they did and all their grades (Just in general, *very* impressive candidates, even by Cambridge standards), but did not get an offer, and in some cases some were not invited to interview whilst clearly being outstanding students. I was wondering, then, if it was better to apply to another college to get a better chance of getting in. I was thinking Trinity Hall or Gonville & Caius, as I have gone to T. Hall a few times and like the campus, and G&C because they run a lot of support programs for my county, and so it might be worth applying to them. Of course, Cambridge will still be selective in the same ways, but from what I have seen, Trinity seems to be a big risk on my chances of getting in. I was wondering if this was true, and if I would benefit from applying to any other colleges? Because honestly I am not super fussed about where I go, I am only worried about getting in, so it would be nice to go to Trinity, but if it is a risk, I should weigh my options carefully.

Hello :smile:

The College you apply to does change your chances of getting in, because of the pooling system Cambridge operates. There is some guidance about choosing a College available here: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/colleges/choosing-a-college Try not to stress about your College choice too much, as they have many more similarities than differences, and students settle in quickly and really enjoy their College, whichever that ends up being!

If you have an opportunity to visit Cambridge in-person we'd recommend you have a look around a few of the Colleges on your shortlist. There's an Open Day in September where all of the Colleges will be open, otherwise you can email a couple if you have some dates you may be in the UK and see if they are open for visits (most are!). https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/events/cambridge-open-days

Also don't forget that what you read on TSR is a very small piece of the bigger picture.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending