The Student Room Group

big problem. man uni entry.

hello guys and gals. i wanna get into manchester uni next year to do business studeis but to do dat i would need an ABB in A level. i can possibly get the AB but not the other B. oh yeah i would like to let u know that i cannot carry on with maths A2 i hav to start math AS again, i feel angry about dis. i got an E in math AS by the way i needed a D to do A2, 11 marks short!!!!!:mad: .
i was wondering what is the best bet? to do 2 AS's in dis final year which counts as an A level or try and plead my math teacher to do A2 math? p.s math A2 is way harder than AS. is it a gamble to do A2 math?
any advice?..

and would voluntary work help to get a course with business studies? and what kind of voluntary work?

i really wanna get into man. uni!!!
pleas help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Right, what do you need the ABB in? Do you require a B in maths (or are you taking 4 A2 subjects)?

Urm, 2 AS A grades may give you as many points as an A at A2, but if a Uni asks for a B in a maths A-Level they won't take a B in AS maths and a B in another AS.
Reply 2
if i do go with 2 AS's i would need an A and B in both of them but i doubt i get an A or B in math. i really wanna go onto A2 math!!!!! i just hate the thought of having 4 subjects again!!
Reply 3
1) You should've gone for a remark.
2) You need to have 3 A2 levels, and taking 2 AS levels doesn't make them equivalent to an A2.
3) SPAG! Sort it out.
4) Don't set your hopes on getting into Manchester, at least not in 2008. Consider looking at other universities which accept lower grades.
5) I thought Xaverian had some standards as to who they let in :frown:
Reply 4
i aint doin no remark because like it'll make no difference. 2 AS's can count as one A level.
Reply 5
lipowicha
i aint doin no remark because like it'll make no difference. 2 AS's can count as one A level.

In the points system, yes, but NOT when they specify grades.

A remark of maths was the best choice. You were 11 UMS short, that's about 6 marks.
lipowicha

No they can't - not for unis like Manchester who make their offers in terms of A level grades and not in terms of tariff points.
Reply 7
I doubt Manchester will allow it, especially as their Business School is well reputed. I think you will need to chose between whether you want to do Business at University of Mathematics A2.
Reply 8
i would i wanna remark my exams. i mean they get paid to do them correct!!

pretty pleas....
Reply 9
J-Curve
I doubt Manchester will allow it, especially as their Business School is well reputed. I think you will need to chose between whether you want to do Business at University of Mathematics A2.

couldnt i do something business-like to show that i have the passion and committed to do business studies instead?
Reply 10
lol, but they're human. You can't expect them to always be perfect. If you got paid to do your exams, would you get 100% on each of them no matter what? I doubt it.

I think the deadline is soon to get them remarked. Call your school and ask.
Reply 11
lipowicha
couldnt i do something business-like to show that i have the passion and committed to do business studies instead?

You could but I doubt they'll lower their offers. Why can't you just work harder in your A-levels and get that B or chose something else at A-level. Speaking of which, what are your other two subjects?
compare http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/search/bysubject/course/?code=05152&pg=3
to
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/search/bysubject/course/?code=00678&pg=3

If Manchester are willing to accept 2 ASs in place of an A level then they state it clearly on their website. Business studies does not accept 2ASs in place of an A level.

Did you take a fourth AS that you could continue with or was it just the AB subjects + maths?
Reply 13
lipowicha
if i do go with 2 AS's i would need an A and B in both of them but i doubt i get an A or B in math. i really wanna go onto A2 math!!!!! i just hate the thought of having 4 subjects again!!

You really can't just do 2 AS's - that's not how it works. I would advise you to plea to get onto A2 maths.

Though, that said, A2 maths is a lot harder than AS, so if you got an E last year you're unlikely to get a B this year.
Reply 14
lipowicha

Only in point-based offers. A university of Manchester's standard will never make you a points-based offer.
Reply 15
i just looked at my math mark again and i got 146/300. so it was 4 marks from a D!!!!!:eek: u still think dey let me carry onto A2?

by the way i got a B in business, C in IT and D in computing. p.s i cant do computing and IT together in last year.

why did i pick math? because i gotta A in math gcse so i fawt i'd carry on.
Reply 16
lipowicha
i just looked at my math mark again and i got 146/300. so it was 4 marks from a D!!!!!:eek: u still think dey let me carry onto A2?

by the way i got a B in business, C in IT and D in computing. p.s i cant do computing and IT together in last year.

why did i pick math? because i gotta A in math gcse so i fawt i'd carry on.

Did you also get a U in English so you thought there was no point in continuing using it?

You were 4 UMS off the grade. That's hardly anything in raw marks, so you should go for the remark.
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/search/bysubject/course/?code=06246&pg=3

do that - retake your Maths AS and boost your grade right up, work your arse off at business and IT and pick up another AS level for your final year at school and you might have a chance.
Reply 18
deej
Did you also get a U in English so you thought there was no point in continuing using it?

You were 4 UMS off the grade. That's hardly anything in raw marks, so you should go for the remark.

no i got a B in english GCSE.
if i did get it remarked wouldnt dare be a chance of the full marks going even lower/down.

i need to get it sorted before monday this is when ma uni starts and new timetable.
Reply 19
PQ
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/search/bysubject/course/?code=06246&pg=3

do that - retake your Maths AS and boost your grade right up, work your arse off at business and IT and pick up another AS level for your final year at school and you might have a chance.

i cant retake math because in order to retake math i needed a D in it but i got an E!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending