The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Also French is one of the hardest things I've ever done in my entire life.
kateyrib
i think media is a common micky mouse
maily cos so many people do so well at it

Total rubbish.

Most people do very badly at it, or averagely well. Very few get the top grades. Please research before posting sweeping unfounded generalisations.

If you think it is Mickey Mouse, fair enough, that's an opinion, but don't justify it with a statement that isn't even true.
Reply 22
acolyte
In my opinion:

Mickey: These will actually harm your chances at Oxbridge
Accounting, Business Studies, English Language, Law, Psychology, Sociology

Semi-Mickey:These are neutral
Economics
English Literature
French
Spanish

Good:These will help with your Oxbridge application
History
Physics
Chemistry
Maths
Pure Maths

In summary, do the traditional subjects.
The non-traditional "new" subject are for slackers.

Actually, even though the OP doesnt want to apply to oxbridge, what you are stating is not true for Oxbridge. If you look at the Cambridge website, English Literature and Modern Languages are considered very useful for whatever subject you choose to do. The only subjects on the OPs list that arent so useful are business studies and accounting
http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/requirements/

So stop talking rubbish. And to the Op, although you dont want to apply to oxbridge, at least they provide a list of what they consider to be mickey mouse.
Reply 23
Christop III
I'm sorry if you misunderstood my tone. I wasn't trying to be snobby and I'll apologise if that's the general impression, I was generally asking for your views on what made truly made a worthwhile course. I was never intending to patronise or undermine people who chose those courses, in fact I have nothing but utmost respect for you people. Lack of direction and foresight is one of the reasons why I initally made mistakes in choosing my subjects which is why I'm asking this question in the first place.

I might delete this thread, as no disrespect for you but it obviously didn't come across as I had intended when I made it and I'm sorry if anybody took it personally.

My post wasnt directed towards you by the way! Sorry if it seemed like it was!! :smile:
And I didnt mean to be rude so Im sorry, what I meant was that you should do what you want to do without worrying about what other people think- there will always be people that think that certain courses are better than others (afterall its a matter of opinion) so its a no-win situation! :wink:
Reply 24
Really it is best to do what you enjoy doing rather than go for a degree that will get you the best job, more money etc don't you want to enjoy your life?
Why do something that you don't enjoy just for financial gain:confused:
Reply 25
Anything that old people don't understand. English language? onono Media Studies? yesyeysyyes
acolyte
In my opinion:

Economics
English Literature
French
Spanish

History
Physics
Chemistry
Maths
Pure Maths

Even if the person in question is hoping to study Law, Psychology, English, Economics, or French?

I'm at a complete loss as to how studying Physics, Chemistry, and Maths would "help" a person's Oxbridge application if they were applying to study English Language & Literature.
Reply 27
acolyte
In my opinion:

Economics
English Literature
French
Spanish

History
Physics
Chemistry
Maths
Pure Maths

Dont listen to him whatever you do!!!

thisbemadness
Seriously, does it really matter?!!

I hate all this snobiness, do want you want to study and you think you would enjoy, who cares about what other people think?!!

ok, your a bit aggressive. All they were trying to do was find out which subjects were respected im sure they will still do ones tehy enjoy so calm down!

Christop III
I'm sorry if you misunderstood my tone. I wasn't trying to be snobby and I'll apologise if that's the general impression,

I might delete this thread, as no disrespect for you but it obviously didn't come across as I had intended when I made it and I'm sorry if anybody took it personally.

your tone was fine, justy a few nuts in this box. And dont delete this thread all you were trying to do was find out some info. And your not the one who labeled them as 'Mickey Mouse' so no harm done.

As for your subjects it really depend son what you want to do e.g chemistry would favour medicine over french.

but as for respect levels i would say the top would be:

Chem, economics, english lit., french, history, maths, physics and spainish.

whereas subitable ones: eng lang and psychology.

and micky ones: Bus studies. law and sociology
Reply 28
I'd say simply, do what you enjoy.

If you choose something that you don't enjoy, just because you're thinking about reptutation, then not only will you have a hard time studying because you'll find it so dull but chances are you'll fail at it.
If you're doing something you love then you're far more likely to do well, and that is what you should think about first.

I repeat, pick the ones you actually want to do and will enjoy, don't think about what some close-minded people might say because a lot of the time they really don't know what they're talking about.
its much better to do what you enjoy - i mean sure you might be completing a course in a highly 'respected' course but if you don't enjoy it, chances are that your grades wont be as high as they would be in a course you enjoy.

I enjoy sociology, i did that at A Level and I have never enjoyed a course as much as it.

And ANYWAY in the end, a lot of the worth of a degree is that you actually have one - it'd be better to get a first in a degree you love than a 2:2 in a course you dont enjoy
minelli
English Lang are you having a laugh. Eng Lang is not considered a mickey mouse subject. Oxbridge actually offer courses in it, and Im assuming you would need it at Alevel to be offered a place? Does anyone else on here think it is Mickey Mouse?

Yep, I was thinking the same too. English is a traditional subject?!?! I can't stand all this snobishness about 'easy' and 'hard' A-levels. It's down to a person's ability and interest in the subject. Also, there are other universities in the country apart from Oxbridge!
more adventurous
Even if the person in question is hoping to study Law, Psychology, English, Economics, or French?

I'm at a complete loss as to how studying Physics, Chemistry, and Maths would "help" a person's Oxbridge application if they were applying to study English Language & Literature.

Oooh well said :smile:
Reply 32
strawberry_wise
Total rubbish.

Most people do very badly at it, or averagely well. Very few get the top grades. Please research before posting sweeping unfounded generalisations.

If you think it is Mickey Mouse, fair enough, that's an opinion, but don't justify it with a statement that isn't even true.

sorry i didnt mean to offend you :s-smilie:
at my school..everyone litterally gets A's
Reply 33
Here's what I think are micky mouse/respectable at A-level:

Micky mouse/drive-thru/breeze
Business studies (I took this at A-level, wouldn't reccomend)
Psychology
Sociology
Media studies
Drama/ theatre
R.E
General studies (Jesus, lol)

Respectable
History
Geography
Economics
Eng. lit
Eng. language
Languages

Very respectable
Chemistry
Physics
All the different type of Maths
Biology

At degree level, I've seen surfing studies :laugh:
W0nker

At degree level, I've seen surfing studies :laugh:

Laugh all you want, the surf science and tech degree at Plymouth looks pretty serious to me - lots of coastal oceonography.

http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/course.asp?id=1645
Reply 35
Respected subs-
Chemistry, English Literature, French, History, Maths, Pure Maths, Physics and Spanish.

Nothing wrong with English Language, but most unis see lit as more academic.

Economics, law and accounting aren't even needed to take the degree so it might be more sensible to pick a traditional subject.

And i'm not saying Psychology or Sociology are easy or "mickey mouse" subjects but they are generally considered as being less academic, no harm if you take one alongside other more respected subs tho.

As other people are saying, unless you're aiming for the top unis the best thing is to pick subjects you have a passion for and will lead you into a degree you'll enjoy.
Reply 36
ChemistBoy
Laugh all you want, the surf science and tech degree at Plymouth looks pretty serious to me - lots of coastal oceonography.

http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/course.asp?id=1645

I don't care if it's a science, but come on! Surfing... wtf!
W0nker
I don't care if it's a science, but come on! Surfing... wtf!

Why is it any different to studying sports science (excluding the fact that the degree is not just about the sporting aspect of surfing)?

The degree is more than just sitting on your board waiting for the next big one. You might think this is a waste of time, but the academics who devote their careers to studying this would disagree. Degree is a whole different argument to A-level - just look at economics and law. Stick to talking about either A-levels or degrees, but don't mix up the two.
Reply 38
ChemistBoy
Why is it any different to studying sports science (excluding the fact that the degree is not just about the sporting aspect of surfing)?

I wouldn't want to waste 3 years of my life and money studying surfing. But that's my opinion.
Reply 39
W0nker
I wouldn't want to waste 3 years of my life and money studying surfing. But that's my opinion.

Well you're not the one doing it. :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending