The Student Room Group

Bristol combined mechanical and electrical engineering

Hi,
I was rejected from bristol for mechanical engineering, however, they said they would like to consider me for their new mechanical and electrical engineering degree (I would be in the first year to do it). This interests me but I was wondering how it would affect me if at the end I wanted to get a job in a purely mechanical or aerospace engineering role.

The main differences between straight mechanical, and the combined mechanical and electrical engineering degree seem to be that the combined one doesn't appear to have any modules on materials or computer-based modelling and it has 1 less module on fluid dynamics and quite a bit of electronics (obviously).
This is the link to the course info: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2017/electrical-electronic-eng/meng-mechanical-and-electrical-engineering/

I also hold an offer for BEng mechanical engineering at UCL, but I preferred bristol when I visited.
Original post by Cannoning
Hi,
I was rejected from bristol for mechanical engineering, however, they said they would like to consider me for their new mechanical and electrical engineering degree (I would be in the first year to do it). This interests me but I was wondering how it would affect me if at the end I wanted to get a job in a purely mechanical or aerospace engineering role.

The main differences between straight mechanical, and the combined mechanical and electrical engineering degree seem to be that the combined one doesn't appear to have any modules on materials or computer-based modelling and it has 1 less module on fluid dynamics and quite a bit of electronics (obviously).
This is the link to the course info: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2017/electrical-electronic-eng/meng-mechanical-and-electrical-engineering/

I also hold an offer for BEng mechanical engineering at UCL, but I preferred bristol when I visited.

Probably won't affect you that much, if it does at all. My uni does a mechanical and electrical degree (which albeit very few people take) and from what I know those who graduated from it had no problems securing mechanical work. It is perhaps slightly concerning that there do not appear to be any modules on CAD, but you can learn this yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
Probably won't affect you that much, if it does at all. My uni does a mechanical and electrical degree (which albeit very few people take) and from what I know those who graduated from it had no problems securing mechanical work. It is perhaps slightly concerning that there do not appear to be any modules on CAD, but you can learn this yourself.

Thanks. Do you think the lack of materials modules would be much of a disadvantage?
Thanks. Do you think the lack of materials modules would be much of a disadvantage?

What do you mean by materials modules? Just asking as some people mean solid mechanics when they say materials but others (like myself) mean materials science and engineering when they say materials.
Reply 4
Original post by Smack
What do you mean by materials modules? Just asking as some people mean solid mechanics when they say materials but others (like myself) mean materials science and engineering when they say materials.

Well on the mechanical engineering course it says there are modules such as materials 1 whereas there isn't that in the combined mechanical and electrical course. I'm guessing it would be to do with properties of different materials and how they fail. There is a thing called multi-physics finite element analysis on both though.
Well on the mechanical engineering course it says there are modules such as materials 1 whereas there isn't that in the combined mechanical and electrical course. I'm guessing it would be to do with properties of different materials and how they fail. There is a thing called multi-physics finite element analysis on both though.

Won't really matter. A lot of what you learn during university isn't necessarily the same stuff you will be using if you are an engineer in industry, and a lot of what you do use on your job, you will learn on the job.
Reply 6
Original post by Smack
Won't really matter. A lot of what you learn during university isn't necessarily the same stuff you will be using if you are an engineer in industry, and a lot of what you do use on your job, you will learn on the job.

Ok, thanks for the help.
Reply 7
Hi,

So long as it's accredited by iMechE it's fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
So long as it's accredited by iMechE it's fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, the degree is new so it isn't accredited yet but I'll ask them what accredditation it will get.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Thanks, the degree is new so it isn't accredited yet but I'll ask them what accredditation it will get.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure Bristol will get it accredited by the time you graduate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did u choose to go to Bristol in the end for this course and how was it (And what did they say about accreditation)
Hi,

Hey did you end up doing the combined course at Bristol, or know anything knew about whether the course is good or not? I have to firm in less than a week.
Original post by Bensayfyourdad
Hey did you end up doing the combined course at Bristol, or know anything knew about whether the course is good or not? I have to firm in less than a week.
Did you firm?
Hi,

hi, when did you get an offer for mechanical engineering from ucl?
also, i got the same reply from bristol and i am not sure what to do-- i think i prefer Southampton from Bristol -- i got an offer a few months ago
Original post by Katerina23
also, i got the same reply from bristol and i am not sure what to do-- i think i prefer Southampton from Bristol -- i got an offer a few months ago
Accreditations, may be worth checking if this course is accredited by IMechE or only IET.

Latest