The Student Room Group

Is Mechatronics/Robotics a valuable degree?

I was intending on applying to Manchester , Sheffield and QMUL for Mechatronics and Robotics as that is the area of Engineering im most interested in, however i've been told that choosing such a niche early on isnt advisable and that most companies would rather hire a Mechanical/CS/EE Engineer instead as in Mechatronics you get "spread too thin" between ME/EEE/CS without getting the indepth knowledge you would have in other degrees. So is Mechatronics still a viable degree to go into if you want to eventually end up working in Robotics?
Reply 1
If you select degrees with a placement year you will have relevant experience on your CV, and work contacts - and possibly you first job offer - when you graduate. Go for the degree subject that interests you.
Original post by saif12346789
I was intending on applying to Manchester , Sheffield and QMUL for Mechatronics and Robotics as that is the area of Engineering im most interested in, however i've been told that choosing such a niche early on isnt advisable and that most companies would rather hire a Mechanical/CS/EE Engineer instead as in Mechatronics you get "spread too thin" between ME/EEE/CS without getting the indepth knowledge you would have in other degrees. So is Mechatronics still a viable degree to go into if you want to eventually end up working in Robotics?

Hi!
My name is Izzy and I'm a 4th year mechatronic Engineering student at Lancaster University. I chose Mechatronic Engineering because combines Mechanical and Electrical & Electronic engineering but also includes robotics, control engineering, programming and more!

At Lancaster, many of our coursework projects are multidisciplinary so members of the team do different engineering courses. As a mechantonic engineering student I understand both the mechanical and electronic parts of the project so I can take responsibility of either of those sections if needed. Additionally, as a mechatronic student I can also help integrate and program both the mechanical and electronic parts together. So a broad range of knowledge is useful in project work. At my time at Lancaster, I've built and worked with multiple different robots and I've had the opportunity to work with people from industry. Some people think Mechatronics is too niche but ultimately if you are passionate about mechatronics then you should pursue it. You could also do some research into engineering graduate schemes/jobs for robotics to see which university disciplines/courses they recruit from.

I hope that helps. Best of luck with your application and if yo have any more questions, I'd be happy to help!
Izzy (Lancaster Engineering Student Ambassador)
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi!
My name is Izzy and I'm a 4th year mechatronic Engineering student at Lancaster University. I chose Mechatronic Engineering because combines Mechanical and Electrical & Electronic engineering but also includes robotics, control engineering, programming and more!

At Lancaster, many of our coursework projects are multidisciplinary so members of the team do different engineering courses. As a mechantonic engineering student I understand both the mechanical and electronic parts of the project so I can take responsibility of either of those sections if needed. Additionally, as a mechatronic student I can also help integrate and program both the mechanical and electronic parts together. So a broad range of knowledge is useful in project work. At my time at Lancaster, I've built and worked with multiple different robots and I've had the opportunity to work with people from industry. Some people think Mechatronics is too niche but ultimately if you are passionate about mechatronics then you should pursue it. You could also do some research into engineering graduate schemes/jobs for robotics to see which university disciplines/courses they recruit from.

I hope that helps. Best of luck with your application and if yo have any more questions, I'd be happy to help!

These are all the reasons I am applying for mechatronics engineering at Lancaster uni. I am very interested in mechanical engineering but also interested in electrical engineering, computer science and automated systems/control systems along with robotics. So I think it would be the perfect course for me!
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi!

Great reply ! Your toolkit of skills sounds awesome . The future is mechatronics / automation - because it's the most useful upto date blend of industry needs. Most traditional departments have heavily invested in their respective institutes and so have become limited in scope and out of touch with the cutting edge . You should work for Elon Musk !

Quick Reply

Latest