The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jim Dunlop Jazz IIIs are the place to be, but it's another case of different strokes for different folks. For a while I used 3mm "big stubbies" but they were far too unwieldy. Generally anything around 1mm is alright for general purpose playing. Not so keen on the metal-on-metal sound of coins or metal plectrums (anyone else try those? ugh), also string wear is probably an issue in the long term.
Original post by SunburnedCactus
Jim Dunlop Jazz IIIs are the place to be, but it's another case of different strokes for different folks. For a while I used 3mm "big stubbies" but they were far too unwieldy. Generally anything around 1mm is alright for general purpose playing. Not so keen on the metal-on-metal sound of coins or metal plectrums (anyone else try those? ugh), also string wear is probably an issue in the long term.
I've used coins before through sheer desperation of needing something to pick with.

I can't say I've ever enjoyed it - I don't like the grating metal sound from the picking, and the lack of tip makes picking a chore.

Any pick between .81 and 1.00 mm seem to suit me just fine. Dunlops do seem to be superior, though, from experience.
Reply 7982
Not so keen on the metal-on-metal sound of coins or metal plectrums (anyone else try those? ugh), also string wear is probably an issue in the long term.

I don't know about string wear but I don't like the sound either - too 'clicky' and bright. Coins are a problem as has been said since they don't have a tip it is difficult to pick with a small surface area. That said, Brian May gets a good sound out of a coin so it must be possible...

Are Jazz IIIs the red ones? I used to use those and also the purple ones - they are quite good actually as they force you to use good RH technique since you have to pick shallowly and they do offer a pretty nice round tone.

Although i might seem trivial, I actually think that the pick and picking style are two very important factors in overall tone and sound. I tend to practice a lot unplugged and you can really hear the difference...

For instance, listen to the difference in pick attack between say, Paul Gilbert and Guthrie Govan - you can really hear it.
(edited 13 years ago)
In the event you don't have a pick to hand, you can usually fingerpick.
It worked for Mark Knopfler and I do it a lot too, you won't be able to play quite as quickly as before but you'll be able to get a wider variety of tones.
Original post by TommyD
Electric. Am still figuring.

Been told to start with a yamaha pacifica

Not quite sure what thats like :p:

I started out with a yamaha pacifica 112. I would recommend the 112 over the 012 though.

It was a very nice first guitar.
Reply 7985

Those are tiny!

Didn't like them at all, horses for courses I guess though.
Original post by Manitude
In the event you don't have a pick to hand, you can usually fingerpick.
It worked for Mark Knopfler and I do it a lot too, you won't be able to play quite as quickly as before but you'll be able to get a wider variety of tones.

To fingerpick properly like Mark Knopfler takes a lot of practice though, it's not like he just replaced his pick with his finger and thumb.
Original post by Shaun1991
To fingerpick properly like Mark Knopfler takes a lot of practice though, it's not like he just replaced his pick with his finger and thumb.

To finger pick exactly like him would be nigh on impossible. I've been playing dire straits songs for about 5-6 years now, so the general idea of playing in that style is almost second nature to me. I can't promise that it sounds exactly the same as when knopfler plays, but I reckon it's a reasonably good immitation at times.
Reply 7988
I wish to join, but the join link doesn't work.
Reply 7989
To finger pick exactly like him would be nigh on impossible. I've been playing dire straits songs for about 5-6 years now, so the general idea of playing in that style is almost second nature to me. I can't promise that it sounds exactly the same as when knopfler plays, but I reckon it's a reasonably good immitation at times.

You should post some of those up!

He's a great guitarist, saw him live last year!

I can just about fumble my way through romeo and juliuet lol

I saw an interview with him somewhere where he said his big breakthrough was when learnt to use his thumb independently of the other fingers rather than just as a base note or at the start of a bar. I haven't got that down at all yet! Not sure I ever will either :tongue:
Original post by Big_C.
You should post some of those up!

He's a great guitarist, saw him live last year!

I can just about fumble my way through romeo and juliuet lol

I saw an interview with him somewhere where he said his big breakthrough was when learnt to use his thumb independently of the other fingers rather than just as a base note or at the start of a bar. I haven't got that down at all yet! Not sure I ever will either :tongue:

In time I will, I've been working on the local hero/wild theme for ages.
Also I reckon I've got brothers in arms up to a reasonable standard.
I can't play sultans of swing properly, I know most of it (or at least I can play something vaguely similar for most of it) the really fast twiddly bits at the end I can't do, even with a pick.

I saw him last year at the MEN - it was absolutely brilliant!
Reply 7991
In time I will, I've been working on the local hero/wild theme for ages.
Also I reckon I've got brothers in arms up to a reasonable standard.
I can't play sultans of swing properly, I know most of it (or at least I can play something vaguely similar for most of it) the really fast twiddly bits at the end I can't do, even with a pick.

I saw him last year at the MEN - it was absolutely brilliant!

Yeah I have a feeling we had this conversation on here then :p:D

Post up brothers in arms, epic tune!

I can play quite a bit of local hero/wild theme but dont really have the effects/single coil guitar to make it sound nice.
Original post by Big_C.
Yeah I have a feeling we had this conversation on here then :p:D

Post up brothers in arms, epic tune!

I can play quite a bit of local hero/wild theme but dont really have the effects/single coil guitar to make it sound nice.

I had a mess around with my camera before, doing both of these songs.
I'm not sure whether the speaker in my camera is to blame, but I couldn't seem to get it to sound good - I could here the acoustic part of my electric even though I was standing on the other side of the room.
ERventually I turned the volume of my amp up a bit which helped, also sounds considerably better louder with it being a valve amp an all that.
But by that point I thought it'd be a good idea to start playing Wishbone Ash...and then the rents came home and I don't like playing loud when there's other people around to hear it.

I'll try and upload something within the next couple of days, if not later tonight.

Bridge pickup on the strat with tone at around 2-4, raising to about 5-6 towards the end is where it's at for local hero. And plenty of reverb!
Aside from reverb I don't really use any effects any more - my pedal isn't high enough quality (it was only £50) to make it worth using with with £1100 worth of guitar and amp...
Original post by Big_C.
Those are tiny!

Didn't like them at all, horses for courses I guess though.

Oh I use the XL ones, they are the same size as most plectrums. Tiny plectrums are just weird. Or for tiny hands.

Spanish classical pieces are good practice for fingerpicking, or some fast ragtime.
What guitar would you recommend as a step up from a Yamaha Pacifica? :colondollar:

Been playing it for a while and looking to upgrade to something better, yno, eventually.

Any ideas?
Original post by Colonel.
What guitar would you recommend as a step up from a Yamaha Pacifica? :colondollar:

Been playing it for a while and looking to upgrade to something better, yno, eventually.

Any ideas?

What sort of music/budget?

Obvious choice would be a higher end Fender Strat/Tele

Although depending on what equipment you have already, you may get more improvement by investing in a nice valve amp amd using your current guitar.

IMO Cheap Guitar + Quality Amp > Expensive guitar and cheap amp.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7996
Original post by Lapis lazuli
What sort of music/budget?

Obvious choice would be a higher end Fender Strat/Tele

Although depending on what equipment you have already, you may get more improvement by investing in a nice valve amp amd using your current guitar.

IMO Cheap Guitar + Quality Amp > Expensive guitar and cheap amp.

I'd say what you've suggested there is less of a step up and more a giant leap lol

Going from what is presumably around a £200 to a £1000 american strat/tele seems a little overkill! :tongue:

Unless the OP has that kind of budget :redface:

I'd say something like on of the mid rang ibanez's or an LTD would be a good step up from a pacifica if you like metal. Or maybe a mexican strat/tele or something if you like more classic rock! :smile:
Reply 7997
Oh I use the XL ones, they are the same size as most plectrums. Tiny plectrums are just weird. Or for tiny hands.

Spanish classical pieces are good practice for fingerpicking, or some fast ragtime.

Ah fair enough I only ever tried out the tiny ones, I have large fingers and it was just weird and silly really!:tongue:
Reply 7998
I had a mess around with my camera before, doing both of these songs.
I'm not sure whether the speaker in my camera is to blame, but I couldn't seem to get it to sound good - I could here the acoustic part of my electric even though I was standing on the other side of the room.
ERventually I turned the volume of my amp up a bit which helped, also sounds considerably better louder with it being a valve amp an all that.
But by that point I thought it'd be a good idea to start playing Wishbone Ash...and then the rents came home and I don't like playing loud when there's other people around to hear it.

I'll try and upload something within the next couple of days, if not later tonight.

Bridge pickup on the strat with tone at around 2-4, raising to about 5-6 towards the end is where it's at for local hero. And plenty of reverb!
Aside from reverb I don't really use any effects any more - my pedal isn't high enough quality (it was only £50) to make it worth using with with £1100 worth of guitar and amp...

Yeah I imagine that sounds pretty sweet! :cool:

I played around with the delay and volume swell combination on the pods effects and it's interesting, will be good when I'v got a pedal to control the swells properly :tongue:

Has your amp got a record out? You could try plugging that into your pc maybe and using audacity or something like that?
@ Colonel: My Mexican Dlx Strat served me very well; if you're looking to keep the strat vibe going without breaking the bank, I'd recommend em :wink:

Latest