The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ah! I understand. Yes, good point :p:.
Tendonitis is no fun.
Thats right.

I had it in my hip: Made me have to give up swimming.

Somehow though, when I got it in my shoulder, I managed to practise through it and it just went.

But, if one does get what may be tendonitis/Carpal tunnel syndrome whilst playing, you should stop playing immediately and go see a doctor.

My friend has scars from where CTS went mad on his wrist and he had to have surgery.

Is not fun.
*Prays it never happens to him*

I can't imagine giving up guitar having gone through the trouble of learning it in the first place! I haven't been able to play properly for a week, because I hurt my little finger on my left hand playing cricket. It's funny how something so small can have such a large effect? Who knew I used it that much? lol
Hi,

Just introducing myself.

Electric guitar player, 2 years, grade 7 in december on 'Registry for guitar tutors'.

Guitars: Jackson DK1 Dinky, Epiphone 'Strat' Style.
Pedals: Digitech Digi-Delay, Whammy, BOSS DS2 Turbo distortion.

Pieces: 'The Finish Line'- Angelo Batio
The guitar solo on 'Sidewinder' By Avenged Sevenfold
'Echo Etude' Yngwie Malmsteen

Some Guitarists

Suppose I'll go for my teacher Kevin Briggs
Tom Morello for creativity
Dimebag
Angelo Batio
Wes Montgomery at the moment, im diggin' the Jazz.

Cheers!
Welcome :biggrin:

Just thought I'd mention, it could be my last ever guitar lesson tomorrow :frown:.
guitarphantom
Hi,

Just introducing myself.

Electric guitar player, 2 years, grade 7 in december on 'Registry for guitar tutors'.

Guitars: Jackson DK1 Dinky, Epiphone 'Strat' Style.
Pedals: Digitech Digi-Delay, Whammy, BOSS DS2 Turbo distortion.

Pieces: 'The Finish Line'- Angelo Batio
The guitar solo on 'Sidewinder' By Avenged Sevenfold
'Echo Etude' Yngwie Malmsteen

Some Guitarists

Suppose I'll go for my teacher Kevin Briggs
Tom Morello for creativity
Dimebag
Angelo Batio
Wes Montgomery at the moment, im diggin' the Jazz.

Cheers!
*is impressed*

I've never been much of a fan of Angelo Batio (I think he's boring) but his stuff is pretty damn hard. Have you ever tried to play 'No Boundaries'? That's the only piece by him I've ever learned by him, and it's horrendously difficult :p:
ad absurdum
*is impressed*

I've never been much of a fan of Angelo Batio (I think he's boring) but his stuff is pretty damn hard. Have you ever tried to play 'No Boundaries'? That's the only piece by him I've ever learned by him, and it's horrendously difficult :p:

As for No Boundaries- I daren't even step over that boundary right now! The tempo changes, and the jumps between 6's and 7's are pretty difficult to follow precisely, although I might give it a go over the summer. I liked his idea of the two guitars although it's a bit inaccessible to other players as most do not have the money to buy a signature two headed guitar just for the sake of that technique. And is rather pointless as most players aren't ambidextrous and you can also tap chords on your left hand and play lead on your right one one guitar, sounds quite nice even. I agree he is boring though, I don't think I'd like to sit through one of his CDs more than a couple of times, he's a bit obsessed as most shredders are, with how many notes he can fit into a second, talented guy nonetheless.

Because I've only been playing for two years my main ambition has been to get good really fast so I hardly have the time to learn anything between practising and school etc... but I learned The Finish Line because I liked the boogie follow on with the neoclassical and the shredding and arps wern't too hard
Lol, the only difficultish piece I'm learning at the moment is More Than Words by Extreme, and even that isn't too bad. I'll catch up with you guys... one day!
Reply 989
Hello all! Acoustic player here, been playing for just under a year, and, though I'm finding it pretty hard going, I'm enjoying it. Currently trying to work out barre chords, and suffering massive pain as a result.
Yeah, barre chords are a bitch to get down, but once you get it, it makes things much more easier. In fact, most of the common songs tend to have barre chords in them, so you'll be able to play rhythm for almost anything :biggrin:.

Keep at it, I know it took me two months of hard practise before I could do the major and minor barres without pain :biggrin:.
Also, when you're attempting barre chords, make sure your thumb is behind the neck, down the middle.

not choking the neck.
Wanderlust
Also, when you're attempting barre chords, make sure your thumb is behind the neck, down the middle.

not choking the neck.

..Just to add some more advice...

Barres are Bitches to put it plainly.

I remember the skin off my index peeling off when i was trying to learn, and that was only on an electric guitar.

I'll dish out some tips that I found useful when I was learning, and some things I discovered along the way

Remember to make sure none of the strings are inside the grooves of your finger- people often do this with maybe one string, and it when it doesn't ring they keep pushing and pushing in vain.

Another thing is, ideally you should be able to play a barre chord with only enough pressure from the thumb to prevent pushing the guitar into yourself. If you use the thumb too much you will not be strengthening the right muscles in your hand. I was told that, but what i worked out from it was that if you were to strengthen the muscle behind your thumb, it becomes useless because you cant use it that much for long stretches, in addition, you will find legato playing (with one hand) much easier, and playing in general with your 4 fingers because the muscles needed for that will already be stronger!

Oh and Lower the thumb to make room for stretches (particularly applicable if you have small hands like myself).

Hope that helps!
Demon_AS
Welcome :biggrin:

Just thought I'd mention, it could be my last ever guitar lesson tomorrow :frown:.

Same here, except I had that lesson last week :frown:.

Hey, I play classical guitar & have been doing for nearly 7 years. I mainly play fingerstyle & can read from notation & tabs (but not both at the same time...). I particularly like singing & playing guitar at the same time. I'm in a band, but I'll be leaving when I go to uni :frown:. I didn't originally wanna play guitar but my Dad put me down for guitar so I thought I'd give it go...
I'm thinking about building a fender stratocaster from parts i find on ebay, genuine fender parts only. i know its gonna be alot cheaper then buying a ready built strat!
what do you guys think?

wooo i got the 1000th post on hear
Reply 996
guitarphantom
..Just to add some more advice...

Barres are Bitches to put it plainly.

I remember the skin off my index peeling off when i was trying to learn, and that was only on an electric guitar.

I'll dish out some tips that I found useful when I was learning, and some things I discovered along the way

Remember to make sure none of the strings are inside the grooves of your finger- people often do this with maybe one string, and it when it doesn't ring they keep pushing and pushing in vain.

Another thing is, ideally you should be able to play a barre chord with only enough pressure from the thumb to prevent pushing the guitar into yourself. If you use the thumb too much you will not be strengthening the right muscles in your hand. I was told that, but what i worked out from it was that if you were to strengthen the muscle behind your thumb, it becomes useless because you cant use it that much for long stretches, in addition, you will find legato playing (with one hand) much easier, and playing in general with your 4 fingers because the muscles needed for that will already be stronger!

Oh and Lower the thumb to make room for stretches (particularly applicable if you have small hands like myself).

Hope that helps!

Cheers for the tips! Thing is, I prefer playing lead guitar (I played other instruments for ages before starting guitar, so have a good musical ear), but I feel I'll need to master these sooner or later if I want my rhythm playing to at least reach competant. Grr.
Was a member of this society and requested to join twice since...
done
Girdag
Cheers for the tips! Thing is, I prefer playing lead guitar (I played other instruments for ages before starting guitar, so have a good musical ear), but I feel I'll need to master these sooner or later if I want my rhythm playing to at least reach competant. Grr.

Well... there are a crap load of chords out there, so it depends on what you mean by "competent". For example, I've been learning since last may, and I've learnt the chords that come out of any grade six book - 9ths, sus4's etc. Just don't forget that there's more than just major and minor barre shapes... then, of course, you have the CAGED-based barre chords, so that's five different shapes for a barre chord, which can be split in to many other chords... *breathes*. So, just take it a step at a time... once you can barre a fret, the rest is all practise.

Latest