The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone have any tips- whenever I take my finger off of the frets to play another note the string always makes a noise eg if I'm taking my finger off the g string it will sound the note g. How can I improve on this? It's driving me crazy! It's especially noticeable in songs such as 'snow hey oh'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9981
Hi everyone, fairly new to this society so I could use some advice!

I seem to have hit a brick wall with my guitar playing. Have been playing for years and would like to think that I am a fairly decent player, although I am probably fairly average in the grand scheme of things.

Basically, I need some new songs to play to really push my abilities! I like all sorts of music so genre doesn't really bother me, no pop though please.

To give you a rough idea of where I am with my playing, the last song I learned all the way through was sultans of swing by Dire Straits. I can play pretty much every AC/DC song / solo, and I have the Freebird solo down to a tee. So some relatively complex stuff on the face of it, but if you actually look at the music they are fairly straightforward once you have mastered a few basic techniques.

I feel that I have been playing the same stuff for a while now and not really pushed the boundaries much, and I would really like to push my playing further this year :smile:

Original post by thescientist17
Does anyone have any tips- whenever I take my finger off of the frets to play another note the string always makes a noise eg if I'm taking my finger off the g string it will sound the note g. How can I improve on this? It's driving me crazy! It's especially noticeable in songs such as 'snow hey oh'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like you are doing a "pull off" by mistake, i.e. plucking the string with your fretting finger by accident as you take your finger off. Try lifting your finger directly off the string instead :smile:
Original post by 1992LP
Hi everyone, fairly new to this society so I could use some advice!

I seem to have hit a brick wall with my guitar playing. Have been playing for years and would like to think that I am a fairly decent player, although I am probably fairly average in the grand scheme of things.

Basically, I need some new songs to play to really push my abilities! I like all sorts of music so genre doesn't really bother me, no pop though please.

To give you a rough idea of where I am with my playing, the last song I learned all the way through was sultans of swing by Dire Straits. I can play pretty much every AC/DC song / solo, and I have the Freebird solo down to a tee. So some relatively complex stuff on the face of it, but if you actually look at the music they are fairly straightforward once you have mastered a few basic techniques.

I feel that I have been playing the same stuff for a while now and not really pushed the boundaries much, and I would really like to push my playing further this year :smile:

What about some tech death? :p:

Or some PtH?

Or some Dreeeeeam Theater or Chimp Spanner?

Hello people! I have only just discovered this thread, but I will probably be frequenting it from now on :biggrin:. A little about me, guitar wise: I have been playing for about 7 years, electric guitar that is. I own a beautiful Fender Custom Shop Strat that is my pride and joy :love:. My favourite guitarists include classic/prog rock, blues, and jazz fusion players such as Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, Dave Gilmour, Gary Moore, Joe Bonammassa etc. I also love some of the more thrash virtuoso stuff from likes of Steve Vai, Buckethead, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert, John Petrucci etc. In terms of my level I'd say intermediate (maybe pushing advanced?), but not as crazy as the people on youtube seem to be these days!

I've been working a lot on my improv over the last year or two, and bringing my theory up to scratch. A typical jam session in my room would include practicing my modal patterns and improvising over some backing tracks, then trying to play some more bluesy stuff over some more backing tracks. currently I am obsessed with playing the solo from Fade to Black over a live version I've got which is about 170 bpm, it's an incredibly fun solo to play, especially at speed! I wish I had more time to play guitar, I do practice most/every day(s) but I am currently in my last year of college and trying to get into medical school, so I can't play as much as I'd like to :smile:. If anyone has got any questions about guitar playing I'd be happy to help out. (although you'll probably find far better players on here to ask than me!)

Original post by Tanzin Bushra
Okay so does anyone here lives in London (probably north London) and is good at guitar (both acoustic and electric), doesnt have to be professional but knows everything and want to tutor other people? I am looking for a cheap tutor. I had a tutor the year before last year! He was really cheap and amazing but he left for uni so I am looking for another tutor from February.I am a beginner. Mainly looking for acoustic and then learn electric. Thanks :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I'm probably not good enough to tutor you (and I probably don't have enough time!), but I live in north London and would be happy to help out with any questions you might have, feel free to PM me :smile:

On a final note, a little present :biggrin:. Fans of virtuoso playing, you've got to see this. It's Andy James (the master himself) playing a quick licks DVD solo in the style of Steve Vai. It will blow your head off. Brilliantly melodic, he really captured Vai's tone and feel. I have the DVD and have been putting off starting learning this because, well it just looks incredibly difficult and I doubt I'll be able to learn it, but I'll never know until I try! Still a beautiful solo though.

[video="youtube;YfSkG5wj7Zo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfSkG5wj7Zo[/video]

:thrasher:
Hi Jonny.
Original post by + polarity -
Hi Jonny.

Hello polarity sir! :biggrin:
Hi! I just saw this thread, and thought I'd join you, if that's ok. :smile:
I recently got a Washburn D10SB, and I'm still learning though I only know VERY basic chords!
I'm into alternative/ rock music but I'm open to other genres too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9989

I do like the Dream Theatre one, thanks for the suggestions! Think the others will take a bit of getting used to, but I shall persevere!

On a slightly different note, I am looking at upgrading my amp later on this year. I currently have a Line 6 Spider II which is pretty good, but I do feel that I have grown out of it a bit.

Was looking at the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe iii and the Marshall Vintage Modern series, anyone got any experience with them?

Under a Glass Moon, brilliant solo on there, unbelievably fast runs :cry:!
Original post by jonnyb123
Under a Glass Moon, brilliant solo on there, unbelievably fast runs :cry:!

Yes, it's glorious :coma:

I like the solo in Lost Not Forgotten too (the songs are similar), but the one in Under A Glass Moon is best :biggrin:
Yes, it's glorious :coma:

I like the solo in Lost Not Forgotten too (the songs are similar), but the one in Under A Glass Moon is best :biggrin:

Yeah it's brilliant, I have the lick library DVD for dream theater too. Hell might as well have a go at Under a Glass Moon right now :biggrin:, I can get up to about 5:04 in that video in the solo before falling apart (minus that ridiculously fast upwards mixolydian run). It will be many years before I can play it anything like his-Petrucciness.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by 1992LP
I do like the Dream Theatre one, thanks for the suggestions! Think the others will take a bit of getting used to, but I shall persevere!

On a slightly different note, I am looking at upgrading my amp later on this year. I currently have a Line 6 Spider II which is pretty good, but I do feel that I have grown out of it a bit.

Was looking at the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe iii and the Marshall Vintage Modern series, anyone got any experience with them?

I have a hot rod deluxe and it's great. Excellent for blues and rock. The high gain isn't very punchy/clear so it's not great for metal. But if you have a guitar of similar quality then they'll work really well together. I've only ever played a strat through it and that sounds amazing, I reckon a LP would too.
My main gripe other than the clarity of the gain channels with it is the volume. Playing quietly isn't an option. It's either off, just-about-as loud-as-you-can-get-away-with-in-your-bedroom or really loud.
10k posts, so you guys need a new thread. :tongue:

I've created one for you here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2341314 :smile:

Latest