The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Thanks a lot for the reply, much appreciated.
Hi people. I'm back.
Reply 1582
Wanderlust
Hi people. I'm back.

Greetings.
Where did you go?
Euan_hmfc
Hey guys...

I guess I have now joined this little society, since I picked up my first ever guitar today. It only set me back £70, which is all I'm interested in, but I believe Squier's are a not-bad starting kit? Also got a starting book which seems to have a lot of classic-Scottish tunes, which will be a good starting place.

Since I'm at the very infancy of (I hope) a long and successful guitar career, what's the best advice anyone can give me?

I haven't looked at what anyone else has put, so apologies if I repeat what you've already been told. There are two things that you need to have: motivation, and inclination to practise.

Without the former, you'll eventually think of the guitar as a chore, and you'll never practise, without which you'll never improve. Implicit with this is tenacity - don't give up! I don't know how many times I've felt like I was *never* going to get the hang of something, but sheer effort carries you through. So, just stick with it, basically :smile: Time will do the rest :wink:.

Enjoy! And welcome to the soc :party:
*Shakes his head* three days without me, and you guys progress as far as a handful of posts? *Is disgusted* :p:.

Sorry for the inactivity, though - internet's been down at mine. Oh well, it's meant that I've put in hours more practise on my guitar (which came back on saturday having been set up - it plays magnificently! Definitely worth the £50 my mum paid for it :p:).
As long as we stay on the first page of the music forum I'm happy.
Here's something I recorded, it's not the whole thing though (I'm working on it). It was my first try as well, but there's a bit on the first verse which I fluked, it sounds better than what it normally is, but some reason I can't do it again :p:

Link
Reply 1588
I'm back as well (if anyone had noticed I'd gone :smile:)
I noticed! By the fact that you hadn't ever signed into MSN after you gave me your address lol.

And Mustard-man: great recording, man! Sounds awesome :biggrin:. Once I get No Such Thing down to pat (the next best song by John Mayer, and actually much harder than Why Georgia, I think) I might record that.
Happy Unicycling
As long as we stay on the first page of the music forum I'm happy.

I'll make it my mission, then :wink:.
Demon_AS
Dime-what? Who? He a guitarist?

He's also dubbed the 6th member of Anthrax. :biggrin:
Anthrax? :confused: Is that a good thing?
Reply 1593
Demon_AS
Anthrax? :confused: Is that a good thing?

They're quite an old thrash metal band :p:
Classic 80s thrash... well they started out alright but were never quite as good as the "big 3" IMO. They have a few killer tracks mind.
Hehe, thrash metal's not really my sort of thing. I'm more of a Jack Johnson/John Mayer/Jimmy Eat World person :p:.
Be A Steve Vai kinda person.

You know you want to.
Steve Vai? He's amazing, sure... but I've seen some of his videos on youtube. As far as his music is concerned, though, he's just comes across as this self-obsessed maniac who just shreds and shreds and shreds and... well, there's almost nothing melodic (that I've heard). I like melody :wink: My choice of artists shows that, I think :biggrin:.
Watching his videos on youtube isn't the best way to appreciate his music, because I assume the more technically impressive stuff will be on youtube. Vai is actually a really good songwriter (for a shredder anyway) and has a a very lyrical soloing style (in fact, he doesn't go ridiculously fast that often on his albums). Passion And Warfare has a couple of good examples of his songwriting abilities, such as 'Blue Powder'.

I don't want to talk about this too much though, any discussion about whether shredders can write good music or not is best avoided :smile:
Lol, I gather people around here have strong opinions on that sort of thing :p:. But, being something of an acoustic man, shredding isn't all that appealing to me - it'd be nice to have the skills, though! So, to that end, I'm working on it :wink:.

*Carries on playing No Such Thing by John Mayer* This song has some fantastic chord progression! I recommend it to any mediocre guitarists who wants to improve on his or her rhythm skills!

Oh, and this is to Happy Unicycling: How did working out the above song go? :wink:

Latest