The Student Room Group

The British guide for applying to a Dutch University (and surviving)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
In that case why are there university courses offering languages at beginner's levels to people? You can definitely pick up a language after 18. Just look at all the joint Languages graduates.

No you can't. Like how you aren't fluent in french or german or spanish after learning it for 5 years in school. Something called the critical period hypothesis, look it up.

They teach it so you know the basics, it doesn't make you fluent, neither can you hold a meaningful conversation.
Original post by faisal_islam
No one can pick up another language at 18. Not fluently at least.

I do agree the Dutch have very good universities. But given Academia is in general written in English, the UK and US have the edge over the world because of that.

Even being able to communicate in another language is pretty useful... one does not have to be fluent in a given language to understand and make conversations with other people.

And that is a really Anglo-centric way of looking at things... plus this thread is talking about university courses in the Netherlands that are taught in English. Yes most academia is generally written in English but that doesn't mean that UK/US/Australian/Canadian Universities have an edge over universities in other countries especially because a lot of these countries like Singapore and Hong Kong also teach most of their degree programmes in English...
No you can't. Like how you aren't fluent in french or german or spanish after learning it for 5 years in school. Something called the critical period hypothesis, look it up.

They teach it so you know the basics, it doesn't make you fluent, neither can you hold a meaningful conversation.

Perhaps it was because we had other subjects to worry about? At uni you'll be doing just that language and a joint honours and then you have the year abroad so you're forced to use it.
It's true though. You are better off applying at MSc level, though why would you, given some of the best universities in the world are in the UK.

Because I am doing my MSc at Utrecht instead of crappy QMUL who rejected me?

You get much better bang for your buck on the continent. UK places are over-saturated like the London housing market.

faisal_islam
No one can pick up another language at 18. Not fluently at least.

Yes, you can; shut up. There are hundreds of thousands of immigrants in the Netherlands who speak fluent Dutch, as with any other country and language.
(edited 7 years ago)
Perhaps it was because we had other subjects to worry about? At uni you'll be doing just that language and a joint honours and then you have the year abroad so you're forced to use it.

Have you noticed the languages you are fluent in were all acquired before the age of 8. Whatever they are for you.
Have you noticed the languages you are fluent in were all acquired before the age of 8. Whatever they are for you.

Because I was forced to use them and was constantly taught it. Same can be said for any language you learn over the age of 18 at uni.

I couldn't speak English until I was 10. I speak better English than Hindi.
(edited 7 years ago)

There is a difference between being "fluent" and being a "native speaker". Anyone can become fluent in any language at any age. I can produce a million examples of this. Now stop trolling.
What languages do you speak fluently?

English and Hindi. But I'm better in English.

Now can you please stop trolling? I've tried to make a useful thread. The last thing I want is some troll who pretends to be a linguistics know it all.
Definitely all the people who can speak a language fluently and without an accent were able to speak that language perfectly fine before their 8th birthday. Must make all these people what? The new superior breed of humanity?
@dorababy1995 Need me to add anything else?
Reply 30
Right so because of higher tuition fees, more students are looking at university in the Netherlands because of how much cheaper it is and because we also like to be thrown out of our comfort zone :biggrin: As I might not be on this site any longer from September onwards, I've decided to make a guide about applying to Dutch universities for any future TSRians who plan to make the first step to studying abroad.

I'm currently holding an offer from the University of Amsterdam for Linguistics so I'm open for questions about the whole applying process. I'll try to cover everything though!

How do I start?
First you look up if Dutch unis actually have your course. Some universities word the degrees a little differently but if you just google Dutch unis you'll get a whole list of universities that may potentially have your course. When you do look them up, do make sure the course is in English.

Helpful link to find courses in English in the Netherlands: http://www.eunicas.ie/

Once you've done that, you make a Studielink account. This is like the Dutch version of UCAS and if you're an international student, you register without DigiD identification. You get given a username and once you make your account, you start making your application. You can choose upto 5 Dutch universities so you make 5 different applications. In your Studielink account, you get these mini emails confirming that unis have your application and the portal links you need to fill out applications. I'd personally advise applying early because the details are a pain to fill out. You can withdraw your applications whenever you like.

What documents do I need?

You'll need a copy of your passport, a motivation letter (so this is a personal statement but much more businesslike), your GCSE grades, your AS grades and your A2 predictions. I'm not sure about other universities but Amsterdam Uni required 6 qualifications from me (so 3 GCSEs at A-C grade and then 3 A2s). So it is super important you remember everything or your application lags behind.

How long does it take for them to give offers?

Depends on uni to uni but Amsterdam got back to me within 3 months (but this was mainly because there was a hitch in their application system and so my motivation letter was in the wrong format or something)

Can I apply for Medicine in the Netherlands?

Yes you can. The Dutch have a system for medical/dentistry applicants called "Numerus Fixus" where applicants are picked out at random but this only lasts for a certain time. So you quite literally have as much chance as anyone.

Do the Dutch have a Freshers week?

Yes they do but the name differs from uni to uni. Amsterdam's freshers week is known as Intreeweek (which takes place a week after results day) and international students are put together in groups and basically let loose in Amsterdam. Video for Intreeweek is down below!

[video="youtube;axF25eO4msY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axF25eO4msY[/video]

What are the university holidays like?

This one differs from uni to uni but generally, summer holidays are like a month and a half, Easter holidays are literally a weekend, Christmas is 2 weeks and you get Dutch National holidays off!

Can I still be cheap if I go abroad?

When in the Netherlands, Lidl will be your best friend.

Do I get financial support?

Yes. You can get a tuition fee loan from the Dutch government and if you work a 56 hour job per month, you get about 1000 Euros and discounted travel.

What about housing?

The universities work alongside landlords to provide housing for students. If you're an international student, you're guaranteed accommodation. If you apply for Amsterdam University like I did, grab the first accommodation offer you get. It's so hard to get decent housing in Amsterdam because everybody wants to live there.

What Dutch uni is basically like Oxford/Cambridge?

Funnily enough, the Dutch aren't huge fans of league tables. If you want to check out the highest ranking universities in the Netherlands, look at QS World rankings. I'm not sure about what position Amsterdam Uni is in but I know it's ranked above Durham and Bristol.

@wolfmoon88 Can you sticky this please? It'll be easier to see then :smile:

I'm tired at the moment so not that many questions are coming to mind but feel free to add on!

Are Dutch degrees recognised in the UK to the same level as Russel Group degrees are?

like if its cheaper and if I can get a good high paying job after it. Brilliant, bu the thought of applying to one in the Netherlands is scary. I'm all alone and have never been to the country... if I'd have support and a group that'd help me. I'd be MUCH better with the idea though.
Original post by Owain5
Are Dutch degrees recognised in the UK to the same level as Russel Group degrees are?

like if its cheaper and if I can get a good high paying job after it. Brilliant, bu the thought of applying to one in the Netherlands is scary. I'm all alone and have never been to the country... if I'd have support and a group that'd help me. I'd be MUCH better with the idea though.

Yes they're actually pretty respected. And I did say that Amsterdam is ranked above Bristol and Durham. And I'm pretty sure employers would love that you took the step to go abroad because it shows nerve.

It's the same with me. I've never been to the Netherlands. But to me that's what makes it more exciting. Also there's a lot of British students at one uni in the North of the Netherlands and they have open days for British students only as well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
Yes they're actually pretty respected. And I did say that Amsterdam is ranked above Bristol and Durham. And I'm pretty sure employers would love that you took the step to go abroad because it shows nerve.

It's the same with me. I've never been to the Netherlands. But to me that's what makes it more exciting. Also there's a lot of British students at one uni in the North of the Netherlands and they have open days for British students only as well.

Yeah, I saw :smile: they were high in the international rankings and that's brilliant. The course I applied for at British universities and have had offers for (business management) they do business courses there too. But I tried looking at entry requirements and I am totally clueless lol. I saw GCE A-level yes, but I'm doing BTEC Extended Diploma level 3. Plus I'm retaking my english GCSE cos I failed it at school.

Open days for British students? It is THAT popular for British people? Like the Amsterdam one would probably be brilliant because of how high ranked it is. But is the other one ranked well?

I'm just a little scared seeing it really. My biggest fear would be accommodation and living costs. Like, ok for the 1st year you might be sorted with accommodation yeah. But what about after that? And living costs? No idea
Original post by Owain5
Yeah, I saw :smile: they were high in the international rankings and that's brilliant. The course I applied for at British universities and have had offers for (business management) they do business courses there too. But I tried looking at entry requirements and I am totally clueless lol. I saw GCE A-level yes, but I'm doing BTEC Extended Diploma level 3. Plus I'm retaking my english GCSE cos I failed it at school.

Open days for British students? It is THAT popular for British people? Like the Amsterdam one would probably be brilliant because of how high ranked it is. But is the other one ranked well?

I'm just a little scared seeing it really. My biggest fear would be accommodation and living costs. Like, ok for the 1st year you might be sorted with accommodation yeah. But what about after that? And living costs? No idea

That one you'd have to email the uni about. But they do need proof that you've got decent grades. If you look up Groningen University, they have quite a lot of British students there because a lot of them tend to go for it. Amsterdam have an open day next week. Maybe check it out? Groningen's in the top 100 in the World rankings (above Nottingham I think). Accommodation wise, you have people in the uni who help you find it and as for living costs, you can get a job to keep yourself going.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Medicine and Dentistry applicants given offers at random?? Whaattt

Some British Unis are seriously looking at this for interviews not offers.

You'd still take BMAT/UKCAT etc but they wouldn't bother reading PS (because too many are fake, coached or professionally written) and they would use a higher test score % instead. They would interview the top 500 or so automatically - the rest if would be 'every fifth name' or whatever. Its only a thought at the moment - but the Dutch system still identifies good potential students, so its is a possible move for the future. Its no more 'unfair' than inflated predicted grades, fake PS and name-dropping in the reference. You would obviously still need to pass the MMIs/Interview so only those who were really on the mark would get an offer.
(edited 7 years ago)
On the topic of Groningen, wasn't one one of their staff awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry?

I can't believe how obsessed people are on here with "rankings". :lol:
Original post by RamocitoMorales
On the topic of Groningen, wasn't one one of their staff awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry?

I can't believe how obsessed people are on here with "rankings". :lol:

Yup one of their staff got it last year bless him.

It's sad isn't it?
Yup one of their staff got it last year bless him.

It's sad isn't it?

It's kinda sad, but can't blame people. I would rather graduate from an uni that's an established name in the world in a certain field than an uni that none have heard about. Also those high ranking unis have a broad network which the students also can benefit from, which can make applying for a job later easier.
Original post by Stevenzhao
It's kinda sad, but can't blame people. I would rather graduate from an uni that's an established name in the world in a certain field than an uni that none have heard about. Also those high ranking unis have a broad network which the students also can benefit from, which can make applying for a job later easier.

Yeah that's obviously true. But it's to an obsessive level on here sometimes.
Yeah that's obviously true. But it's to an *obsessive* level on here sometimes.

The obsession is so much worse here in East Asia... plus vocational pressure as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending