The Student Room Group

Not sure whether to take a year off university?

Is taking a year off university a bad idea to work and save money? Do people see you as a failure to hold back university for a year? I can't decide whether sticking through university or having a year off to work is the right thing to do.

I'm currently going into my 2nd year of nursing this year. I absolutely love my course, and I'm very eager to go into 2nd year studies and to go on placement this semester. The only thing that is making me consider taking a year off is my well being and mental state.

I got to a university that is 4 hours from my home town, and I don't have any family and barely any friends where my uni is. During my first year of nursing, I got caught up in a serious relationship that ended at the start of this year. Because I spent most of my time with him, I believe that I didn't put the extra effort in to make friends in my new city. I find myself driving to my home town whenever I have a couple of days off work just to see my family and friends. And when I'm driving back up to my current city, I feel very lonely and isolated.

My hometown actually has a university and offers nursing, the reason why I choose to go the my current university is because it has a very good reputation and has a great nursing school. I'm thinking about having a year off university and move back to my home town, and go to the university in my home town next year, and finish my degree there. (I might even pick up subjects in semester 2).

During my year off, I would work as much as I could and save money. I budget a lot where I am right now, so the thought of having money to spend on things I love, and having savings really excites me. I would even like to save and go on a Contiki trip sometime this year.

The only fear I have about having a year off is what people would think of me and being a year behind my course. Would people in my hometown think I was a failure for coming back? And will I regret being a year behind?

I know 100% that I will finish my course because of my passion for nursing. I don't even want to put a hold on my degree, but i'm just worried I will keep falling into depression, and it will get worse over time. I am just not happy where I am. I know I may possibly meet friends and will be busy with my studies, but I don't want to risk getting stuck here for another year being unhappy.

I have asked a lot of my friends for their opinions, but I would like to hear strangers opinions. I've had my friends who also study tell me "stay at uni and keep pushing through" and "you'll be a year behind if you have a year off." And then i've had others tell me to put my well being and mental state first and have that year off and come home.

Should I have a year off? Or should I push through my unhappiness to finish my degree?

Thank you!!! :smile:
Hey, what did you decide to do in the end?? I hope everything worked out for you :-)

Latest

Trending

Trending