The Student Room Group

Gap year

I'm in year 13 rn and I'm quite undecided if I want to go straight into university for the next 4 years. I'm thinking of applying to UoB for a psychology degree or doing a gap year to work on or build up my CV and chill. As of right now, I believe I am able to get into university with my current grades, but the idea of doing all of this again for 4 years is quite daunting. I also have parents who expect somewhat decent results, so I'm not sure if bringing up the idea of taking a year off of education would sound great to them...
Any of those who have experience taking a gap year or have any information that would be valuable would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Original post by hyouka
I'm in year 13 rn and I'm quite undecided if I want to go straight into university for the next 4 years. I'm thinking of applying to UoB for a psychology degree or doing a gap year to work on or build up my CV and chill. As of right now, I believe I am able to get into university with my current grades, but the idea of doing all of this again for 4 years is quite daunting. I also have parents who expect somewhat decent results, so I'm not sure if bringing up the idea of taking a year off of education would sound great to them...
Any of those who have experience taking a gap year or have any information that would be valuable would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Hi @hyouka ,

This can be a tricky decision to make so it is great to see that you are being proactive about it by doing things like posting on the student room.

Have you spoken to anyone at your school? Teachers or staff who may be able to offer insight.

I went straight from sixth form to university and decided to do this because I wanted to keep in education. But, going straight from sixth form to uni is not for everyone. I have a friend who took a gap year and is now in her final year of studies. In her gap year, she worked to save money for when she was at uni but also travelled.

I would advise doing a gap year if you are unsure about university. It is better to start uni knowing you want to be there for sure.

Finally, if you are unsure of how to bring it up with parents you could show them ideas/things you could do during your gap year so that it is still a productive gap year (if that is something you want) like working, volunteering, reading Psychology articles you find interesting.

I hope this helps.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep - Final year BSc Psychology
Reply 2
Original post by University of Kent
Hi @hyouka ,

This can be a tricky decision to make so it is great to see that you are being proactive about it by doing things like posting on the student room.

Have you spoken to anyone at your school? Teachers or staff who may be able to offer insight.

I went straight from sixth form to university and decided to do this because I wanted to keep in education. But, going straight from sixth form to uni is not for everyone. I have a friend who took a gap year and is now in her final year of studies. In her gap year, she worked to save money for when she was at uni but also travelled.

I would advise doing a gap year if you are unsure about university. It is better to start uni knowing you want to be there for sure.

Finally, if you are unsure of how to bring it up with parents you could show them ideas/things you could do during your gap year so that it is still a productive gap year (if that is something you want) like working, volunteering, reading Psychology articles you find interesting.

I hope this helps.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep - Final year BSc Psychology

Hi University of Kent,

Thanks so much for your input. As of right now, I haven't talked to anyone at school due to me being so busy as mocks are coming up, but I'll definitely have a chat once everything clears up. I've already written up my PS but haven't sent it yet for the same reason.

Going to university to pursue my passion in psychology is my end goal, but I'm not sure what my mental health will look like at the end of my A-levels, seeing as I need to achieve A's across all my subjects, or I might have a change of heart and decide to go to university. I'm not too sure yet.
If I do take a year off, I will make sure I make it productive by doing all sorts of things you mentioned and more. Will my application be affected if I do take a year off? Will I need to take a foundation before doing my first year?

Thank you.
Original post by hyouka
Hi University of Kent,

Thanks so much for your input. As of right now, I haven't talked to anyone at school due to me being so busy as mocks are coming up, but I'll definitely have a chat once everything clears up. I've already written up my PS but haven't sent it yet for the same reason.

Going to university to pursue my passion in psychology is my end goal, but I'm not sure what my mental health will look like at the end of my A-levels, seeing as I need to achieve A's across all my subjects, or I might have a change of heart and decide to go to university. I'm not too sure yet.
If I do take a year off, I will make sure I make it productive by doing all sorts of things you mentioned and more. Will my application be affected if I do take a year off? Will I need to take a foundation before doing my first year?

Thank you.

Hi @hyouka ,

Good luck with your mocks and that is completely fine to wait for the storm to be over with that before you reach out to people at your school.

I do not believe your application would be affected if you took a year off or you will need to do a foundation year so long as you complete your a-levels but it would be best to contact the university you would like to study in or ask your school so you can get a more official answer. It might be worth (if you can) going to the open days and talking to other students in that department/at the uni to see what they thinking about doing a gap year then studying.

I am sorry I cannot give you a clear answer but I hope this helps a bit.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by hyouka
Thank you.

Hi @hyouka ,

I decided to have a gap year as I wanted to have a bit of a break from education after doing my A levels and it was a great decision for me! I found that I was ready to go to uni after having a break and I was looking forward to starting my course and starting learning again, whereas I think if I had gone straight after year 13, I wouldn't have felt like this.

If you already have your grades, this is one less thing to worry about before going to uni as you are not worrying on results day about whether you will get into uni.

You could explain to your parents that you feel this way and that you think the best way for you to get good grades is to have a slight break so you don't feel overwhelmed and you can do your best at uni, rather than going for the sake of it and not doing as well.

I hope this helps,
Lucy - SHU student ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest