The Student Room Group

American and British English.

I'm from the States and I decided it would be an adventure for me to attend college in England. I love being in England. But I didn't realize that y'all spoke and wrote English words differently. A lot of words are completely different and sometimes I'll be looking at people with a blank mug not knowing what they just said. Slang is also VERY different. I would appreciate it, if y'all took the time just to tell me some of the common slang (speaking) words that people around here use. It'd make things a whole lot easier. Thankuu!!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
im_a_star
I'm from the States and I decided it would be an adventure for me to attend college in England. I love being in England. But I didn't realize that y'all spoke and wrote English words differently. A lot of words are completely different and sometimes I'll be looking at people with a blank mug not knowing what they just said. Slang is also VERY different. I would appreciate it, if y'all took the time just to tell me some of the common slang (speaking) words that people around here use. It'd make things a whole lot easier. Thankuu!!!!!!

Are you from the south? (Y'all has etymological origins in redneck-land)?
Reply 2
im_a_star

There's really too many to go through here, just ask people what the words mean.
If they know you're from the USA, they'll understand and should be happy to explain and probably then go on about how British English is the 'real' English. :biggrin:
Reply 3
It's pronounced "Ed-in-borra".

If you remember that, you'll be miles ahead of most Americans.
Reply 4
Hmmm... a tip to stop people looking at you funny when you pronounce something differently.

Pronounce words how you would spell it. E.g. Nuclear. "New. Cle. Ur."
Can't go wrong.
Reply 5
americans : 'can i buy some sneakers'

british : 'can i get some size 11 trainers'
Reply 6
I like the way Americans say Aluminium :p:

But I hate the way computer software nearly always has one English language option - English (American) :mad:
Reply 7
We have Jam not jelly

Stand up for british english the way it is meant to be
Reply 8
Cortez
I like the way Americans say Aluminium :p:

But I hate the way computer software nearly always has one English language option - English (American) :mad:

Exactly! You'd think being called 'English' they'd include the real English version.
Reply 9
Hmm.. how about giving some examples?

What words don't you understand?
Reply 10
wizard710
We have Jam not jelly

Well we do have jelly, but it's not what you call jelly.
Your jelly is our jam (sweet, fruity, put on scones and crumpets)
Our jelly is coloured, made from boiled bones and is served to kids at parties.

And you say "Al-oo-min-um" and spell it Aluminum.
We say "Al-oo-min-ee-um" and spell it Aluminium

You have "sidewalks". We call them "pavements".

Any words ending ine -ize for you (like "realize") are spelt with -ise for us (so we say "realise")

In america, you say "ass". Over here, an ass is a donkey. If you want to talk about your butt, it begins with "ar" and ends in "se" and is pronouced "ahhhhhhrz"

This wikipedia page tells you spelling differences and stuff.
Reply 11
pants = underwear
chips = fries
candy = nothing
****** = insult
color = colour
center = centre

Our style of comedy is different and a little more harder to understand if your used to us comedy.
Reply 12
HeadShock
pants = underwear
chips = fries
candy =
nothing
****** = insult
color = colour
center = centre

Our style of comedy is different and a little more harder to understand if your used to us comedy.

candy = sweets?
Reply 13
US - UK
pants - trousers
mailbox - post box
hickey - lovebite
garbage - rubbish
ZIP code - postcode
sneakers - trainers
diaper - nappy
band aid - plaster
cell phone - mobile phone (although often called a "mobile")
gasoline - petrol

Over here, a fanny is a vagina.

This site has more
I'm guessing when you say 'college' you mean university right?
Argh, it irritates me no end when people say 'fries' to mean chips... I tell 'em to piss of to Mc (boil-a-cow)Donalds if they want 'fries', it is after all a chip-shop
Reply 16
Why would you particularly want to learn British English? Most UK universities would not care if you wrote in American English as an American and aside from that, it's like anywhere: you'll pick up the local idioms eventually.
Reply 17
Bubblebee
Argh, it irritates me no end when people say 'fries' to mean chips... I tell 'em to piss of to Mc (boil-a-cow)Donalds if they want 'fries', it is after all a chip-shop

Island mentality :rolleyes:
Damn right, best ****ing island in the world!!
Reply 19
HeadShock

I wonder what an American's reaction to Little Britain would be...

Latest

Trending

Trending