The Student Room Group

Scared of doing medicine??

Hi all,
I've never posted on TSR before but have been lurking around this forum.. I have always wanted to do medicine and like many others, worked really hard to get an offer. Now that I have an offer, I am having doubts about whether a career in medicine is the best choice in this climate. I am hugely passionate about the NHS and healthcare being free at the point of care for everyone. With the current government underfunding the NHS massively, staff stretched to their limit and the junior doctors so unhappy (I've read at least a couple of stories of young doctors committing suicide), does anyone else feel the same way I do about going into medicine? Do these doubts and feelings mean that medicine is not the career for me? I am just so confused about what to do now..
Any thoughts?
Reply 1
Original post by meddoubt
Hi all,
I've never posted on TSR before but have been lurking around this forum.. I have always wanted to do medicine and like many others, worked really hard to get an offer. Now that I have an offer, I am having doubts about whether a career in medicine is the best choice in this climate. I am hugely passionate about the NHS and healthcare being free at the point of care for everyone. With the current government underfunding the NHS massively, staff stretched to their limit and the junior doctors so unhappy (I've read at least a couple of stories of young doctors committing suicide), does anyone else feel the same way I do about going into medicine? Do these doubts and feelings mean that medicine is not the career for me? I am just so confused about what to do now..
Any thoughts?

By the time any of this is relevant to you, the situation hopefully will be better. I'm going to be honest and say your current mindset is not right for medicine as it stands now. So stop focusing on what may happen, and focus on becoming the best doctor you can.
Hi all,
Any thoughts?

No, your thoughts are shared by myself and, undoubtedly, many other offer holders. Its natural when dedicating your life to a career, to have doubts and fears about it, especially if its constantly vilified in the media as medicine is. You have many options when you do graduate and after training, go abroad with your degree, become a GP or go into private sector, people may frown upon it but they may not appreciate the stresses of being a doctor and the bad treatment of junior doctors. It depends on if your fears really make you feel like you really dont wanna do medicine, then thats different but doubts are natural and healthy
Reply 3
Hey, dont worry. Just remember, you are never in the same position alone. I've been having similar thoughts and doubts myself. It's totally normal, given how much of a commitment medicine is, just remember you had a reason to do medicine and its remembering why you started in the first place. However, if it does feel like you really dont want to do medicine, then it might be worth having a think

All the best
It's quite normal that you feel fear before going into such a demanding career. But remember why you want to do this: to provide care and to do your little bit for the greater good. The political debate aside, the NHS's mandate is noble and the politics behind it should not prevent you from wanting to pursue medicine. If it does, you may always pursue medicine in another country, say, Australia or the U.S.

I just want to say that the 'grass always seems greener on the other side'. Medicine, especially in the U.K., may be facing immense challenges but other careers, such as law and banking, are facing equally tough times. If you're ambitious and hard-working, I strongly believe that medicine remains the best option.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by David B
By the time any of this is relevant to you, the situation hopefully will be better. I'm going to be honest and say your current mindset is not right for medicine as it stands now. So stop focusing on what may happen, and focus on becoming the best doctor you can.

this aged well… 😭
Reply 6
Hi all,
Any thoughts?

I don't think there should be any random people in medicine. And there should be no doubts, a doctor should not have doubts, he should know what to do in this or that situation and act for sure. I think medicine is not your life's work.
Original post by HarryStone
I don't think there should be any random people in medicine. And there should be no doubts, a doctor should not have doubts, he should know what to do in this or that situation and act for sure. I think medicine is not your life's work.

This thread is 6 years old.
The OP has nor been online since 2017.

Latest

Trending

Trending