The Student Room Group

Medicine or Dentistry

I want to become a doctor, no matter what. I understand that being a doctor requires a lot of dedication and sacrifice in my personal life, but I still want to have a good quality of life with my family and friends. Dentistry is a good option as it offers weekends off, whereas if you are a specialized doctor, you can be called anytime and work the entire week. Should I become a GP, which only has weekday work from 9-5, or should I consider dentistry? I know the days worked may not be important to some, but they are important to me. I think I like medicine more than dentistry.But please advice
(edited 2 months ago)
Dentistry applicant here. If you like medicine more, you should go for medicine (but get some work experience to gain insight on both careers).

From my research, both require a lot of hard work anyway outside of working hours. As a dentist, you still may need to do extra appointments if there's an emergency, not just if you're a doctor. As both are professions, you also need to do continuous professional development to maintain and improve your skills with the ever-changing healthcare world. Medicine and dentistry both require much more significant investment in time than many other careers and it can be tiring for many. Commitment is important and it can still be possible to maintain friendships in these careers, it's just more difficult to find the time to do so.

Have you tried posting in the medicine forum? They can tell you more.
Reply 2
Original post by EquivocateU2
Dentistry applicant here. If you like medicine more, you should go for medicine (but get some work experience to gain insight on both careers).

From my research, both require a lot of hard work anyway outside of working hours. As a dentist, you still may need to do extra appointments if there's an emergency, not just if you're a doctor. As both are professions, you also need to do continuous professional development to maintain and improve your skills with the ever-changing healthcare world. Medicine and dentistry both require much more significant investment in time than many other careers and it can be tiring for many. Commitment is important and it can still be possible to maintain friendships in these careers, it's just more difficult to find the time to do so.

Have you tried posting in the medicine forum? They can tell you more.

first of all , thank you so much for the reply , I have been waiting for days.
yes I will also try posting in the medicine forum!
Reply 3
I am just a dental nurse, but I would definetly recommened you get some sort of insight to the role! Dentistry is an amazing feild but you have to be sure you can deal with the stress of working in someones mouth whilst they are concious and fearful, if you were to be a surgeon youre likely dealing with people sedated and as a GP there is a huge amount of pressure of being timely and not always having the time to slow down for your patients. Private dentists allocate their time and decide their working times. Theres huges differences with them, but you need to have good people skills and compassion as you will get lots of angry/anxious patients that seem tought but are simply scared and you can build some lovely relationships with them! Good luck with your future!
idk sorry
Reply 5
Original post by Jwal9
I am just a dental nurse, but I would definetly recommened you get some sort of insight to the role! Dentistry is an amazing feild but you have to be sure you can deal with the stress of working in someones mouth whilst they are concious and fearful, if you were to be a surgeon youre likely dealing with people sedated and as a GP there is a huge amount of pressure of being timely and not always having the time to slow down for your patients. Private dentists allocate their time and decide their working times. Theres huges differences with them, but you need to have good people skills and compassion as you will get lots of angry/anxious patients that seem tought but are simply scared and you can build some lovely relationships with them! Good luck with your future!
thanks for the reply x

Quick Reply

Latest