The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I don't think there is anything wrong with considering the diversity of a place when considering where to apply. If you ask people why they like London or another big city, diversity usually comes pretty high on the list. Saying that you would never go somewhere because there weren't people of the same ethnicity would be retarded in my opinion, but to each their own.

As someone who is in a minority in medical school i can say it wasn't the be all and end all, but it was a consideration. I wanted to do medicine enough that i would have gone anywhere, but i would also pick somewhere more diverse over somewhere that is less intergrated.

I know of someone in medical school in newcastle who is black and it is more of an issure for her than it is for me.
Not to sound harsh, I understand your opinion and everything, but does it really matter? The people are going to be the same inside no matter what colour they are.

I'm sorry if this sounds rude (I really don't mean to sound offensive) but it annoys me that if this was about being the only white person on a course there would be an uproar.
Reply 82
scaryhair
I'm sorry if this sounds rude (I really don't mean to sound offensive) but it annoys me that if this was about being the only white person on a course there would be an uproar.
There was a girl here who was essentially bullied off a dentistry course because of the colour of her skin... :rolleyes:
Renal
There was a girl here who was essentially bullied off a dentistry course because of the colour of her skin... :rolleyes:

Yeah, and things like that shouldn't be happening in Universities today...especially something like Dentistry or Medicine.

At the end of the day, we're all the same inside aren't we, so what difference does it make? Just think about when you get a job as a Doctor - you're not going to be able to afford to refuse it just because there isn't enough white/black/asian/green with yellow stripes people working there.
Fluffy
My advice would be to definitely drop the "I'm a graduate/mature student, so my opinion is more valid/more informed than yours" too - it gives us all a bad name...

tami's post did not at all demonstrate the attitude you're supposing. Why don't you get off that pedestal and shut up? And she's giving you a bad name? Far from it! Self righteous, pompous idiots like yourself and Renal are managing to do that all by yourselves.

tami you've been nothing but an objective minded help in this thread, ignore the rest of these arrogant tossers.

Renal
"I want to go to a med school that doesn't have too many darkies."

RACEEST! :wink:

scaryhair

Ahh, and how exactly are you so sure of that? Uproar? I beg to differ. It's becoming increasingly obvious that you (along with many, many others) are just annoyed because you can't stand the fact that some people would rather be with their own, as well as other ethnic groups rather than being the odd one out at a predominantly white school.
Cut the reverse racism crap, it's becoming tiresome.

Renal

Because white people are never racist, are they? :rolleyes:
Just those damn ethnics...
#1_Wasteman
tami's post did not at all demonstrate the attitude you're supposing. Why don't you get off that pedestal and shut up? And she's giving you a bad name? Far from it! Self righteous, pompous idiots like yourself and Renal are managing to do that all by yourselves.

tami you've been nothing but an objective minded help in this thread, ignore the rest of these arrogant tossers.

RACEEST! :wink:

Ahh, and how exactly are you so sure of that? Uproar? I beg to differ. It's becoming increasingly obvious that you (along with many, many others) are just annoyed because you can't stand the fact that some people would rather be with their own, as well as other ethnic groups rather than being the odd one out at a predominantly white school.
Cut the reverse racism crap, it's becoming tiresome.

i completely agree with your whole post! :tsr2:
Reply 86
#1_Wasteman
RACEEST!

Baby jesus wept. If you cannot see the dichotomy...
Reply 87
(The following isn't meant to be racist in any way :s-smilie:):
If I'm honest, I'd probably feel a bit alone/outside/whatever if I went to uni and was the only white person on my course. I guess it's the same when it's the other way round? I'm not saying we should only stick to our own cultures, just that I understand why it's a consideration when choosing where to apply. And yes I know we're all the same on the inside, but surely race is just like gender, or age? If I were applying as a mature student, I might want to apply to unis with lots of other mature students so I'd be with like-minded people. It's a similar situation here.
there is a large emphasis on gender in our culture. however, there's no way i would ever even look up a male:female ratios before i applied anywhere, for any course. i'd go where i wanted. i don't see why the colour of your skin should change anything. i think it's good to have variety, i'm not argueing about that, but i don't think selecting a university based on preconceptions about how diverse it might be is a very sensible attitude.
Reply 89
bright star
there is a large emphasis on gender in our culture. however, there's no way i would ever even look up a male:female ratios before i applied anywhere, for any course. i'd go where i wanted.

Well no, me neither, I was just using gender as an example of a what if situation (how would you feel if you were the only girl on your course? OK so I don't think I'd be complaining that much :p: but there'd be times when it'd be nice to have some girls around as well. I don't see how this is so different.)

bright star
i don't see why the colour of your skin should change anything. i think it's good to have variety, i'm not argueing about that, but i don't think selecting a university based on preconceptions about how diverse it might be is a very sensible attitude

Not purely based on that, no, but all I'm saying is that it's understandable why it's a factor for some people.
why should race matter so much? especially for a course in med and dentistry where u take care of people no matter what race/religion/culture they are

i mean ok, say u go to whatever uni with the ethnic ratio you want right, when u come out with ur mbbs or whatever ur not going to be able to say i want to treat only patients of X race...
oh, here's all this stuff about perceived stigma, and enacted stigma actually relevant.... really should have paid more attention in my igs..... basically if i were the only girl, i might feel self-conscious about it. but the only real problem would be with my attitude towards it. i doubt it'd be an actual problem. similarly, if you were the only person of your race on your course, you might feel a bit self-conscious but i doubt it'd be an actual issue for anyone else. plus gender is totally different to race as an example. your gender is such a huge part of who you are, whereas your race is skin deep. your culture, well that's an entirely different thing :wink:
Reply 92
bright star
oh, here's all this stuff about perceived stigma, and enacted stigma actually relevant.... really should have paid more attention in my igs..... basically if i were the only girl, i might feel self-conscious about it. but the only real problem would be with my attitude towards it. i doubt it'd be an actual problem. similarly, if you were the only person of your race on your course, you might feel a bit self-conscious but i doubt it'd be an actual issue for anyone else. plus gender is totally different to race as an example. your gender is such a huge part of who you are, whereas your race is skin deep. your culture, well that's an entirely different thing :wink:

Given the choice, you'd probably rather go somewhere where you didn't feel self-conscious about your race?
but it'd go away.....
#1_Wasteman

No, actually, quite the opposite. I can assure you there would be an uproar if someone posted a thread saying that they didn't want to be with too many people from ethnic minorities.
It seems that only white people can be racist - if a person called a black person a word rhyming with tigger, you'd be looked down on by all of society, but if a black person called a white person whiteboy, or white trash then there would be nothing.

And to be honest - wanting to be with your own ethnic group? You're in England remember. Its a majority-white country.
bright star

YAY! I totally agree with you!
tami*
why should race matter so much? especially for a course in med and dentistry where u take care of people no matter what race/religion/culture they are

i mean ok, say u go to whatever uni with the ethnic ratio you want right, when u come out with ur mbbs or whatever ur not going to be able to say i want to treat only patients of X race...

Yet another point that makes pure sense to me...
Hmm, I seem to be getting warned for every post I make. At this rate, I'll be banned by the end of the week - but do I care..?

bright star

Now, I frequent many forums. Some which are based on games, movies, gadgets, and a fair few on students/academics. But, this post, is by far the most ludicrously frivolous I've ever had the displeasure of reading. Calling it absolute rubbish is an understatement. I mean, talk about easier said than done. How would feeling self conscious not be an actual problem? How on earth would it just go away? Is this the sort of retarded logic you're relying on to back up your subjective, wholly ignorant point? Pathetic.

For the record, I attend a predominantly white school in a predominantly white area (Coopers Company anyone?) and although I've never (I use that lightly) been subjected to racist abuse, and have no problem whatsoever with white people, the fact that I was the only ethnic in my form from years 7-11 was ALWAYS an issue - one which worsened as I got older. I'm in Sixth Form now and thankfully some external applicants were put in my new form - one of whom was asian (I'm black) and the number of cultural similarities we share surprised even me. It made last year bearable. And people like you are trying to tell me that race/ethnicity/culture isn't an issue? Yeh, like I'm going to willingly put myself in that kind of situation again. Grow a brain, star.

scaryhair
No, actually, quite the opposite. I can assure you there would be an uproar if someone posted a thread saying that they didn't want to be with too many people from ethnic minorities.
It seems that only white people can be racist - if a person called a black person a word rhyming with tigger, you'd be looked down on by all of society, but if a black person called a white person whiteboy, or white trash then there would be nothing.

Here we go again. Reverse racism bullcrap. You know what, I'm not even going to bother...

scaryhair
And to be honest - wanting to be with your own ethnic group? You're in England remember. Its a majority-white country.

Thanks for reminding me - I'd forgotten for a sec there...

scaryhair
YAY! I totally agree with you!
the whole point of my posts here have been to point out that culture and skin colour are not interchangable.... also sorry, i think you have to study here to get the joke as to why my post was so pretentious there.... they make such a fuss about all these theories about goodness knows what that are relevant to nothing. i was just impressed that i found an application for one of them.....

i've been the only girl in my class before. you do get used to it, and of course it stops being an issue. when you first notice it's a bit scary, but if i were waking up every morning thinking "oh no, i have that class in which i'm the only girl" i'd worry about what was wrong with me. i can only see that ethnicity has even less impact than this.
bright star
if i were waking up every morning thinking "oh no, i have that class in which i'm the only girl" i'd worry about what was wrong with me. i can only see that ethnicity has even less impact than this.

And you know this how?

I give up. You, and the rest of your idiotic followers are not even remotely worth it.

Latest

Trending

Trending