The Student Room Group

JP Morgan London Apprenticeship vs University

I'm through to the final stages of the JP Morgan Financial Services apprenticeship in London but have also got great university offers from target universities to study Chemistry with Management.

The apprenticeship awards you with a CISI Investment Operations Certificate and a Level 4 NVQ in Providing Financial Services. I have asked group leaders repeatedly regarding progression opportunities to Front Office roles and they've assured me it is possible post completion of the apprenticeship. Apparently once you're in the firm, you're in and you're treated as any other colleague.

I did ponder doing the apprenticeship gaining the experience for several years and following that with an MBA from LBS. LBS stated a degree isn't essential and will consider candidates with a great career record. Would this be possible?

Is this a viable alternative to university or is going to university the better option

Thanks guys
Reply 1
You're '94 born and haven't been to uni yet?
Reply 2
Original post by Foxab77
You're '94 born and haven't been to uni yet?

Been to uni here and in the USA. Things didn't work out so looking to restart
Reply 3
Anyone with any advice?
If they've assured you that you can land a FT role in front office upon completion of the apprenticeship, then why not. Plus, JPM is pretty much the top performing investment bank atm, so having them on your CV will do wonders.

University is just extremely expensive atm and there's no guarantee that you will land a FO role, even at a target anyways. Also, it's worth researching about top-up degrees, (where you can get a bachelor's degree in 1 year if you have some previous qualfication, so you can ask those universities which offer the programme whether they would accept a level 4 nvq an acceptable entry qualification. That way if the apprenticeship doesn't work as well as you hope, you can go to university for 1 year after and graduate with a bachelor's degree.

I was in a similar situation to you, I had a big 4 school leaver programme offer, decided to go for the university route and actually landed a FO role, but it's not a guarantee.
Reply 5
Original post by Breakingbank
If they've assured you that you can land a FT role in front office upon completion of the apprenticeship, then why not. Plus, JPM is pretty much the top performing investment bank atm, so having them on your CV will do wonders.

University is just extremely expensive atm and there's no guarantee that you will land a FO role, even at a target anyways. Also, it's worth researching about top-up degrees, (where you can get a bachelor's degree in 1 year if you have some previous qualfication, so you can ask those universities which offer the programme whether they would accept a level 4 nvq an acceptable entry qualification. That way if the apprenticeship doesn't work as well as you hope, you can go to university for 1 year after and graduate with a bachelor's degree.

I was in a similar situation to you, I had a big 4 school leaver programme offer, decided to go for the university route and actually landed a FO role, but it's not a guarantee.

They didn't say you're guaranteed to land a FO role but said there aren't any restrictions regarding internal movement within the company once you complete the apprenticeship. A recent apprentice is working in some form of Assett Management I was told.

It's tricky because I do want to go to university to get my degree for my own satisfaction but obviously JP is extremely appealing for the experience and having them on my CV will open doors. I wonder if I may be restricted if I ever wanted to pursue a career change?
Reply 6
Hi, can anyone provide any valuable insight to the kind of questions asked in the Hirevue interview? Are they more competency based or situational? How would you suggest I prepare?
Also any tips you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 7
Go to JP. end of
Go to university after the apprenticeship if it doesn't work out? If you got an offer once, you'll get it again, with even greater reason for going to university, and you'll be able to stand out during the application process.

Go for JPM
Reply 9
Original post by AenigmaFx
Go to university after the apprenticeship if it doesn't work out? If you got an offer once, you'll get it again, with even greater reason for going to university, and you'll be able to stand out during the application process.

Go for JPM

My only reservation with this is I seriously doubt I'd get the same offer I got this year from imperial and doubt I'd be able to get in another year.
When do you hear back from JPM?
Reply 11

Mid-late May they said
I'm actually doing the tech degree for JP Morgan in Bournemouth along with around 7-8 other candidates providing I get the grades required, you've just got to think, you're getting a level 4 qualification, not having to pay anything back and will have a very powerful and respected company on your CV.

Also, from what I heard during the application process from management, there's lots of flexibility to move around the company and in many different departments/locations.
Reply 13
Original post by CHarrisMedia
I'm actually doing the tech degree for JP Morgan in Bournemouth along with around 7-8 other candidates providing I get the grades required, you've just got to think, you're getting a level 4 qualification, not having to pay anything back and will have a very powerful and respected company on your CV.

Also, from what I heard during the application process from management, there's lots of flexibility to move around the company and in many different departments/locations.

Hey could I PM you with some questions please?
Original post by AJA1994
Hey could I PM you with some questions please?

Sure, I can't answer any questions regarding the application process though unfortunately as I've already signed my contract :frown:
Reply 15

Hi, I ended up getting the offer from JP and they've said three former apprentices are in front office roles at the minute in Private Banking and Asset management. This really boosted its appeal.
Anyone attending the JP Morgan assessment centre on the 16th Jan from 13:00 to 15:00??
Hi
I was offered an offer for FS in London early this year. I am doing my A-Levels now but worried about a achieving lower grades than expected.

Any advice?

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending