The Student Room Group

Thinking About Transferring Universities

Okay hey there again people anyway as you lot may know already from my last topic i currently undertake an undergraduate Religious Studies degree course/programme and do Ethics, Philosophy and Religion and History as my minors in my first year at Lancaster University , but now i am thinking of transferring universities not because i don't like the university or not satisfied with the degree programme it's just that i now want to go to a more prestigous university or one that's more higher up in the university league tables. So what i want to do basically is transfer to an uni that has more prestige and a higher reputation than Lancaster that would offer a Religious Studies/Theology degree programme with the possibilty of doing a combined with History.

These are the univeristies that i'm looking at

Cambridge/Oxford- Highly improbable since the deadline for the oxbridge uin's have probably been passed by now but would loved to do their Theology degree
Bristol
King's College London

So please can anyone on here give me any advice on what to do and how to start and if i should actually do this.
Reply 1
Well, do you have at least AAA in your A levels? If not, Oxbridge is probably out.
Bristol may have a good reputation but I would not have thought it was especially good for RS. Lancaster's reputation in RS is quite good, you know.
I would suggest looking at Durham, Edinburgh, Exeter, York, but I have no idea how you go about transferring. I think you have to contact the admissions department of the uni you want to go to.
Are you wanting to transfer now or at the end of the first year?
Reply 2
Well yeah i was thinking at the end of my first year and no i don't have AAA at A-Level so Oxbridge out then.
Reply 3
Try re-posting this is General University Discussion. There will be loads of people on there who have transferred and can tell you how to go about it. Transferring at the end of first year is quite common, you just have to find a uni that will let you do it, and get high enouh marks in your Part 1 courses, so work hard!
Edit: Oh yes. scrub York, apparently they don't do RS.
Reply 4
If you'll drop your expectations just a little, you can come to Sheffield. It's a very good university - the history department is absolutely first class, and the city is great (except for when people get shot in the head, but don't let that put you off)
Reply 5
mmm where is it in the league tables.
what is it with the league tables? :/
Reply 7
Matthew12

You have a problem if you are considering league tables, in that Religious Studies/Theology are not included in the Times tables, and the Guardian are a bit suspect. For example. Bath Spa is up there is the top ten (!). Lovely place and all that, but hardly a top ranked institution.
I would seriously consider Durham if I were you.
PS - Sheffield comes below Lancaster...
Reply 8
Lizj
You have a problem if you are considering league tables, in that Religious Studies/Theology are not included in the Times tables, and the Guardian are a bit suspect. For example. Bath Spa is up there is the top ten (!). Lovely place and all that, but hardly a top ranked institution.
I would seriously consider Durham if I were you.
PS - Sheffield comes below Lancaster...

Okay skimmed through the course syallbus/structure for the Theology single honours degree course at Durham University and yes it looks appealing to me only problem is that it is a Theology course and not really Religious Studies so how could i transfer to doing that, and they(the Theology department) does not offer a combined degree or joint honours degree with History .
Matthew12

League Tables aren't everything...
Reply 10
Matthew12
Okay skimmed through the course syallbus/structure for the Theology single honours degree course at Durham University and yes it looks appealing to me only problem is that it is a Theology course and not really Religious Studies so how could i transfer to doing that, and they(the Theology department) does not offer a combined degree or joint honours degree with History .

Is there not a Combined Humanities, or Arts, or some such course there, where you can combine History, Theology and anything else you fancy?
Forgive my not being more specific, it is now 2 years since I was hoping to go there myself (rejected for not having enough A*s at GCSE!)
Reply 11
Right called Durham University and they said i cannot progress into the second year but can start again in the first year if i applied, but don't wanna do that as it would have mean that i would have wasted a year at Lancaster University
Matthew12
Right called Durham University and they said i cannot progress into the second year but can start again in the first year if i applied, but don't wanna do that as it would have mean that i would have wasted a year at Lancaster University

Have you tried asking Manchester? Try them
Matthew12

...then leave?

Also, what's wrong with Lancaster? It's quite a good uni, I thought? :s-smilie:
Reply 14
jonnythemoose
...then leave?

Also, what's wrong with Lancaster? It's quite a good uni, I thought? :s-smilie:

Nothing it's that i kinda want to go now to a more prestigious university.
Matthew12

Manchester?
Matthew12

If you don't mind me saying...It seems a bit foolish to leave a perfectly decent uni, where you're doing a course you enjoy for the sake of a bit more prestige, especially as you don't seem to have too much of an idea which uni's are 'better' anyway. But I guess I know the feeling that you could do better...I just hated my course, too.

Contact the admissions departments and see what the proceedure is. Almost all if not all will require you to go through UCAS at some point, but some like you to fill in a kind of pre-application and will give you a decision based on that.
Reply 17
Check out the courses you want and email the advisors/departments concerned and have a chat with them about your proposals.

Basically, the main thing to think about is the finance and suchlike involved in a shift like that.
Reply 18
hi!!!i'm "taking advantage" of this thread,but I think i'm in the same situation as matthew12...i'm now attending rhul,studyin for a BA in German and management...i'm an international student and deciding has been quite complicated,and now i think i made the wrong choice,that maybe i could have chosen a more prestigious university..what do you think?!?!!also,is it really possible to transfer to a better uni at the end of the first year?!?!?!thank you very much!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending