The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Transferring & Repeating 1st Year

Hello,

I am currently thinking to transfer to Kingston University from Greenwich and repeat my first year. I have looked at the FAQ and filled out the UCAS again. I am worried as I am past the deadline as I was still unsure if I should transfer.
I am a bit confused about the route I should follow, do I put the same PS (Personal Statement) or modify it to add why I am transferring? I know the tuition fees will be considered in the gift year, I am guessing the 'gift year' doesn't include the maintenance loan right?

I am hoping this application will be accepted as I have read here that if you are repeating your first year in another university you have higher chances, is that true? I have also been accepted initially to Kingston, so my grades shouldn't be an issue.

Is there anything else I should know while transferring?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by umaiwa
Hello,

I am currently thinking to transfer to Kingston University from Greenwich and repeat my first year. I have looked at the FAQ and filled out the UCAS again. I am worried as I am past the deadline as I was still unsure if I should transfer.
I am a bit confused about the route I should follow, do I put the same PS (Personal Statement) or modify it to add why I am transferring? I know the tuition fees will be considered in the gift year, I am guessing the 'gift year' doesn't include the maintenance loan right?

I am hoping this application will be accepted as I have read here that if you are repeating your first year in another university you have higher chances, is that true? I have also been accepted initially to Kingston, so my grades shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks in advance!

Maintenance loan isn't affected by previous study so you should have that for all years of a new course.

Your PS should talk about your current studies if you're not changing course but you don't have to go into detail about why you want to transfer. As long as your current university and course are listed in your education section that's all that's required.

Have you spoken to your tutor at Greenwich about them providing a reference?
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Maintenance loan isn't affected by previous study so you should have that for all years of a new course.

Your PS should talk about your current studies if you're not changing course but you don't have to go into detail about why you want to transfer. As long as your current university and course are listed in your education section that's all that's required.

Have you spoken to your tutor at Greenwich about them providing a reference?
I have just requested the reference after talking to my tutor, that should be fine. For the PS, I am staying on the same course just swapping universities and I think they already have my old one. I read that people recommend explaining the transfer but I'm not sure on it. Also I don't really understand how 'gift year' works. Do you mind explaining a bit?
Original post by umaiwa
I have just requested the reference after talking to my tutor, that should be fine. For the PS, I am staying on the same course just swapping universities and I think they already have my old one. I read that people recommend explaining the transfer but I'm not sure on it. Also I don't really understand how 'gift year' works. Do you mind explaining a bit?

Everyone gets one gift year of tuition fee loans for a repeat year or a restart. That’s about it really.

What it means if you use it to transfer/restart is that if you later need to repeat a year due to failure or illness then that second “extra” year wouldn’t get a tuition fee loan unless you can provide evidence of compelling personal reasons for the second restart/repeat
Original post by umaiwa
Hello,
Thanks in advance!
Hi @umaiwa,

I was also a transfer from another university to Kingston.

From personal experience, I know that you can get a both maintenance and tuition loan for 4 years. I would not get too worried about your application being late as people still get accepted later in the year (unless the course is full which does not happen often). In your statement, you have to show your passion for the subject. I will get back to you about what you should include in the personal statement =) You have nothing to lose by applying through UCAS and seeing what happens.

Hristiana (Kingsotn rep)
1st year Mental Health Nursing Student
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by umaiwa
Hello,
Thanks in advance!

Hi I know this does not relate but is Greenwich worth going to
Original post by umaiwa
Hello,
Thanks in advance!
Hi @umaiwa,

Regarding the personal statement, I think it would be best to check with the admissions team at: [email protected] or +44 (0)20 3308 9932.

Alternatively, you can also submit a form at: https://www.kingston.ac.uk/enquire/undergraduate-ksa/ and they will get back to you.

What course are you studying😊?
Hristiana (Kingston rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending