The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

University of Warwick 2021 Applicants

Since the 20/21 cycle is starting up soon I think it's about time to have a 2021 thread. Use this thread to chat to other applicants!

If you have any questions you can ask on the Ask a Warwick Student thread. I'm a maths student going into the second year and happy to answer questions.

Some ice-breakers:

What course are you applying for?

Why Warwick?

What other universities are you applying for?

Subject Threads:

Offer Tracker:

Mod note: The forms and documents in this thread are not managed or operated by The Student Room, and are set up by members of the community. Please do take this account when entering your details into this form. All data you share is at your own risk. If you have any questions, please come and talk to us in Ask The Community Staff.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/help/staying-safe-on-the-student-room
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Hello everyone, planning to apply to Warwick alongside Cambridge, Birmingham, UCL, LSE. Applying to do History and Politics or some course similar, I was on the Warwick Sutton Trust Pathways programme. I live fairly close so I haven't decided if I will stay there, I have heard accommodation isn't the best is that true?
Original post by AI03
Hello everyone, planning to apply to Warwick alongside Cambridge, Birmingham, UCL, LSE. Applying to do History and Politics or some course similar, I was on the Warwick Sutton Trust Pathways programme. I live fairly close so I haven't decided if I will stay there, I have heard accommodation isn't the best is that true?

Any specific concerns? The accommodation is pretty nice and appreciably cheap compared to some other universities. The vast majority of first years live on campus in the first year.
Reply 4
Original post by _gcx
Any specific concerns? The accommodation is pretty nice and appreciably cheap compared to some other universities. The vast majority of first years live on campus in the first year.

Some people have said the area it is near is not very nice, don't know if it is true though. Also after first year is it hard to find accommodation off campus?
Reply 5
Hey everyone. I’m looking to study international management at Warwick and marketing and management in Lancaster, Oxford brookes, Queen Mary, UEA or Southampton. Not really sure between those two
Original post by AI03
Some people have said the area it is near is not very nice, don't know if it is true though. Also after first year is it hard to find accommodation off campus?

That's probably fair, Canley isn't the nicest. It's pretty much bog standard for England and indistinguishable from your average street elsewhere. A lot of people choose to live in Leamington second year for that reason but I didn't really want to commute. The actual university and the on-campus accommodation are all nice enough. The university owns a lot of properties in the local area and in a worst case scenario you can apply to be matched with a group looking to get an extra person.
Reply 7
Original post by _gcx
That's probably fair, Canley isn't the nicest. It's pretty much bog standard for England and indistinguishable from your average street elsewhere. A lot of people choose to live in Leamington second year for that reason but I didn't really want to commute. The actual university and the on-campus accommodation are all nice enough. The university owns a lot of properties in the local area and in a worst case scenario you can apply to be matched with a group looking to get an extra person.

Ah I see, thanks for your advice. I wouldn't have thought the commute from Leamington would be that long, I would assume though that it's pretty pricey over there.
Original post by AI03
Ah I see, thanks for your advice. I wouldn't have thought the commute from Leamington would be that long, I would assume though that it's pretty pricey over there.

It's not, I just preferred to be within walking distance of campus!
Reply 9
Original post by _gcx
It's not, I just preferred to be within walking distance of campus!

Ah yeah makes sense, don't have to wake up as early
Hi there :smile: do you think Warwick only accepts people based on high achieving GCSEs and Alevels? I want to study business management there. My GCSEs do meet the minimum entry requirements and my chosen alevels are business, psychology and English but I really want to do well in my alevels so it can make up for my mediocre results. I can’t help but feel like people with straight As at GCSE will have a much greater chance than me:frown:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by katiegsu5
Hi there :smile: do you think Warwick only accepts people based on high achieving GCSEs and Alevels? I want to study business management there. My GCSEs do meet the minimum entry requirements and my chosen alevels are business, psychology and English but I really want to do well in my alevels so it can make up for my mediocre results. I can’t help but feel like people with straight As at GCSE will have a much greater chance than me:frown:

I don't believe GCSEs are a decisive factor as long as you meet their minimum GCSE entry requirements. Not many universities look at your GCSE performance.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong
Hi everyone! I’m applying to Warwick for psychology, as well as Oxford, York, Bath and St Andrews. I visited the Warwick campus the other day and it was lovely! How good is it in terms of social life—I’ve heard going offsite isn’t that nice unless you commute a bit.
Original post by HarveyCB
Hi everyone! I’m applying to Warwick for psychology, as well as Oxford, York, Bath and St Andrews. I visited the Warwick campus the other day and it was lovely! How good is it in terms of social life—I’ve heard going offsite isn’t that nice unless you commute a bit.

Hiya, I live in bham but I’ve been to Warwick Uni and the surrounding area quite often and yup, off site accommodation for 2nd and 3rd years isn’t as nice because the surrounding area is kinda trash. And believe me, I live in Birmingham so I’m quite accustomed to below average areas hidden by above average areas😅 it’s mainly because Warwick Uni isn’t actually in Warwick, it’s in Coventry, and many ppl aren’t really fans of Coventry. But also, to contradict myself a little, many students live there perfectly fine!
As an alternative, Leamington Spa is apparently very nice. Definitely consider looking into 2nd and 3rd year accommodation there but like you said you’ll have to commute a bit but it’s honestly not too bad.
(current Warwick students feel free to correct me if I’ve got anything wrong!)
Well yeah no-one really goes to Warwick for the area (to put it politely lol) they go for the uni. Wouldn't say it's a "below average" area though, basically average (pretty much indistinct from most other places in England) but it's natural to have higher standards when you're moving into a new area :tongue:
Original post by justjas33
Hiya, I live in bham but I’ve been to Warwick Uni and the surrounding area quite often and yup, off site accommodation for 2nd and 3rd years isn’t as nice because the surrounding area is kinda trash. And believe me, I live in Birmingham so I’m quite accustomed to below average areas hidden by above average areas😅 it’s mainly because Warwick Uni isn’t actually in Warwick, it’s in Coventry, and many ppl aren’t really fans of Coventry. But also, to contradict myself a little, many students live there perfectly fine!
As an alternative, Leamington Spa is apparently very nice. Definitely consider looking into 2nd and 3rd year accommodation there but like you said you’ll have to commute a bit but it’s honestly not too bad.
(current Warwick students feel free to correct me if I’ve got anything wrong!)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
Well yeah no-one really goes to Warwick for the area (to put it politely lol) they go for the uni. Wouldn't say it's a "below average" area though, basically average (pretty much indistinct from most other places in England) but it's natural to have higher standards when you're moving into a new area :tongue:

True...I’ve just heard quite a lot from people about the surrounding area being not the best, they compared it to places I know well in Birmingham that aren’t the nicest (like where I am lol) so it formed that sorta ‘below average’ image in my head! Plus before I went I expected more, idk why but I’d built up this awesome picture of Coventry before I’d went, assuming it was a cute modern student lil city, so when I went and saw it wasn’t it probably looked ‘worse’ to me. But yes like you said, nobody really goes to Warwick for the area - it’s not Exeter or Edinburgh. But it’s a great uni, you defo can’t really deny that, hence why I’m considering applying there this year :smile:
Warwick and Leamington are nice areas. I go there quite frequently.
Coventry is not nice but fine.
I am applying to Warwick.

Course: Economics, Politics and International Studies (BA/BSc) Requirement: A*AA.
Warwick is an excellent university with good graduate prospects.
I am also applying to: Birmingham (Political Economy), KCL (Political Economy), Leicester (Economics and Politics) and Loughborough (Economics and Politics).
Universities: LSE,UCL,Warwick and Durham
Course: Econ or EPAIS
PG- 39 or 40 IB and 9 AP's at 5 (International student)
Why Warwick: good un for econ
Reply 18
What course are you applying for? Law
Why Warwick? It is far away but also because it seems like a good university
What other universities are you applying for? Cambridge, Durham, and two from Bristol, Exeter, Nottingham
Reply 19
Hi guys! I'm applying for PPE because Warwick is known to be a pretty good university, especially for Humanities-related subjects.

I'm also applying to Oxford (PPE), King's College (Political Economy), Sheffield (Politics and Econ), and Edinburgh (Econ and Politics).

Quick Reply

Latest