The Student Room Group

Part Time work and University application

Do universities check out your place of work? (Morrisons in my case) In order to ensure you havent mislead them or anything. I'm not trying to fool anyone with my personal statement. Its just that I've currently got a part time job, which i'm thinking of leaving.

The problem is, I've only just started. I just cant do all of the work plus college. My main issue is that travelling back and forth from college takes 3 hours a day, almost doubling my time spent away from home. Work & college just means that I have less spare time at the moment. But come January I'll have very little time to revise and the chances of getting time off/reducing hours are very slim.

I know two of my university choices are going to call me in for an interview, so I'll probably have to tell them about leaving/plans to leave. Hopefully they will be understanding of my time contstraints. But I have a bad feeling it will perhaps show lack of dedication?

Otherwise, with my other 3 choices, will there be any need to declare my leaving? Will they contact Morrisons at anypoint to check my credibility?

Note: Ucas has been sent, so it's too late for me to make any changes

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
I dont think they check up unless the job is really relevant to the application, which I doubt Morrisons would be.

The only time they'd probably ask you about it is in interview, where you can explain the situation. Giving up part time work shouldnt be a biggy because, as you said, it will just leave extra time for your studies.
They'll generally only phone up if it's work experience relevant to the course (i.e. work experience as an engineer for Rolls Royce and applying for an Engineering degree), as in that instance, it can be a useful distinguishable feature between two otherwise equal candidates. An irrelevant job like Morrisons just shows time management, an aspect which they may note but doesn't serve to their advantage to check up on.

Latest

Trending

Trending