The Student Room Group

Summer part time jobs

Hi, I will be finishing my A levels in just under a week, and I am strongly considering looking for part-time employment in order to supplement my student maintenance loans for uni, which are relatively low.
Keep in mind that I never have been employed before, and finding opportunities is quite tricky at the moment, are there any tips that I should take into account to find a good part-time job over the summer? Like what job types to look for, CV tips etc.
Original post by Kingemperor07
Hi, I will be finishing my A levels in just under a week, and I am strongly considering looking for part-time employment in order to supplement my student maintenance loans for uni, which are relatively low.
Keep in mind that I never have been employed before, and finding opportunities is quite tricky at the moment, are there any tips that I should take into account to find a good part-time job over the summer? Like what job types to look for, CV tips etc.

It's very very unlikely that you find anything of substance over these 3 months at such late notice. If you wanted a part time job, you should have really applied a lot earlier.

Tips:

Consider recrutiment agencies, since they have a lot of temp work at short notice

Focus on manual labour, holiday work, or hospitality, as it's commonly expected there to be quite a bit of vacancy, accept people at short notice, and they usually accept anyone

Medium and large companies tend to require you to go through a lengthy application process; try to focus on smaller companies where they are not as fuss or formal

Network as much as you can; having friends in the company that you want to get a job at would really speed up your application as well as improving your odds dramatically

As you have no previous employment history, there is little to nothing noteworthy on your CV. I would still try to include stuff like awards, personal side projects, and relevant stuff that you do outside of your work to show off a well rounded personality

Try to be flexible and be open to work at any time of the week.

For most low skill work, mentioning your GCSE Maths and English Language is more than enough on the education side (for basic numeracy and literacy skills). Most other qualifications mean very little unless it's very relevant e.g. if you intend to apply to be a lifeguard, having an (NPLQ) or Level 2 Award for Pool Lifeguard would be relevant (see: https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/lifeguard); any other qualifications usually mean nothing for lifeguard roles.

The most important thing about the format of your CV is to make it easy to read through in less than 5 seconds. If the reader needs to squint or think remotely hard about what's on your CV, it can very likely end up in the bin (especially if they have to go through hundreds or thousands of CVs)

There's usually a lot of competition for low level jobs, so expect a lot of rejection and a lot of applications. If you don't routinely send out 10 a day, you're not doing enough.

Don't have the same CV for all applications unless the jobs are very similar. Tailor your CV to the job, and ideally the company; this usually doesn't involve a lot.

If you need to check what is required for specific entry level jobs, consider looking at National Careers Service (https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/explore-careers) and Career Pilot (https://www.careerpilot.org.uk/job-sectors/sectors). Usually you don't need a whole host of qualifications for specific jobs, but it can help you go above the compeition. Work related qualifications tend to stand out like a sore thumb

For future reference, if you intend to do part time work during university, think through very carefully about how you go about it. I wouldn't recommend anything more than 20 hours a week (otherwise it can affect your study), with 5-10 hours being ideal.
Some of the top end universities can be picky about whether their students work, so I would check their policies.

When looking for types of jobs to apply for when you have more time, I would expand my horizons and not just go for the more commonly applied for jobs e.g. hospitality, retail, care, supermarkets. Consider roles that are not as commonly applied for e.g.

Personal trainer (needs a level 3 certificate with REPs, which you can do in a few weeks via an online course)

Sports trainder (needs a level 2 certificate in the particular sport)

Child minder at nurseries (needs a level 3 NCFE certificate I think)

Recycling centre and bin collector

Computer repairs, or something in IT e.g. cybersecurity, networking (you might benefit from getting specific professional IT certificates for some of these roles e.g. CompTIA)

Teaching asistant

Teaching English as a Foreign Language (ideally with a CELTA or CertTESOL)

Tutoring (not sure on the requirements)

Bookkeeper (if you can spare the time during weekdays; recommend AAT if you are not doing an accounting degree)

Something at the NHS

Delivery driver via supermarkets

Something at factories (be aware of forklift driving as you will likely need a licence)

Animal care

Farms

Some of the above involves self employment, and you would need to be aware of the legal and tax responsbilities you need to be aware for the specific job that you do.

In an ideal world, you would be doing a part time job that is closely related to the role that you want to do after university. As I don't know what this is, I recommend you to look through the requirements for the part time roles you want via National Careers or Career Pilot.
If you pick up certain skills that are useful for the job you want during your degree (e.g. programming for tech roles), then so much the better. I would use these skills for relevant roles on a part time basis, if they exist.
In any case, I would prioritise internships at large companies over the summer and winter breaks where possible. These would carrya lot more weight than any part time job that you apply for. Skills and relevant experience would still trump anything, so even if it's something small it still counts so long it's relevant.
Reply 2
Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed and informative response to my question :smile:
Reply 3

There are plenty of recruitment sites that list temporary, part time jobs. Just Google summer jobs! You should also look at company websites as some just advertise there. Eg supermarkets, hotels, restaurant/bar chains will advertise on their own websites. Have a think about businesses near you that might be looking for temp summer help and look at their websites.

Heya I was in this position and found a job on GiGL! Because it's video and audio applications you don't need a CV and there are some jobs that don't require experience (mine didn't hehe)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending