The Student Room Group

Can I just relax in my gap year?

I keep hearing that you need to have a “productive” gap year otherwise it will look bad for your Uni application, but is this actually true? I have gained so much stress and my mental health has gotten worse due to my A levels. So really I just want to relax and take some time off. Also I want to go holiday for a long time (like 3-6+ months) to my home country to see family after an extremely long time. I am also going to work to save up money for University, and I have other productive hobbies like programming. But I don’t want to volunteer or go on an internship or whatever other people do in their gap years. Is this okay or will it look bad? I am planning to go to a good Uni.
Original post by Anonymous
I keep hearing that you need to have a “productive” gap year otherwise it will look bad for your Uni application, but is this actually true? I have gained so much stress and my mental health has gotten worse due to my A levels. So really I just want to relax and take some time off. Also I want to go holiday for a long time (like 3-6+ months) to my home country to see family after an extremely long time. I am also going to work to save up money for University, and I have other productive hobbies like programming. But I don’t want to volunteer or go on an internship or whatever other people do in their gap years. Is this okay or will it look bad? I am planning to go to a good Uni.

If you get an offer this year for deferred entry, you can relax with 0 worries. Try clearing or calling to see if unis still have spaces on their courses. If you're looking after your health, and doing something I don't think it really matters, but it depends on the course. What are you applying for?

Have you already applied and got offers or are you going to apply during your gap year?

If you are applying during your gap year I would say at least do something related to the subject for the earlier part of the year so when you apply you will have an extremely strong application. I personally applied during my gap year and have a few offers now waiting for the rest. I did work for about 6 months in a related field and did mention this in my personal statement. I am currently planning on relaxing and traveling during the remaining part of my gap year and have some fun before starting university. Hope this helps feel free to ask any questions I was in a similar position as you last year and would love to help you out. Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by CatInTheCorner
If you get an offer this year for deferred entry, you can relax with 0 worries. Try clearing or calling to see if unis still have spaces on their courses. If you're looking after your health, and doing something I don't think it really matters, but it depends on the course. What are you applying for?

Have you already applied and got offers or are you going to apply during your gap year?

If you are applying during your gap year I would say at least do something related to the subject for the earlier part of the year so when you apply you will have an extremely strong application. I personally applied during my gap year and have a few offers now waiting for the rest. I did work for about 6 months in a related field and did mention this in my personal statement. I am currently planning on relaxing and traveling during the remaining part of my gap year and have some fun before starting university. Hope this helps feel free to ask any questions I was in a similar position as you last year and would love to help you out. Good luck :smile:

I am going to apply in my gap year for Computer Science. I also forgot to mention I’m resitting an A level (or I guess sitting for the first time) because I got taken out of it in sixth form. But I already know most of the content so I don’t need to study that much. I do programming as a hobby but I don’t know if that if that is something that can add to my application.
I am going to apply in my gap year for Computer Science. I also forgot to mention I’m resitting an A level (or I guess sitting for the first time) because I got taken out of it in sixth form. But I already know most of the content so I don’t need to study that much. I do programming as a hobby but I don’t know if that if that is something that can add to my application.

If you do computer science as a hobby for computer science, I would mention it :biggrin:

I mean if you are applying for CS definitely mention it. Good luck with your A levels hope you get the marks you want. One last piece of advice is don't rush with your application unless you are applying to Oxbridge as most universities usually give offers once the deadline is up. Don't leave it until the last minute as well and make sure to include all that you do related to the subject in your ps.
I think it is a big yes because you going to have time to spend with your family and also do family gatherings see old friends that you grow up with ,you will get to go to the beach there will be also a time to think what you going to do for next year meaning which college or university you can go to or to find a job
It's totally okay to relax and it's understandable! :smile:

It might not make or break a career, but this time is still valuable and useful, better to not waste it totally. So, for example, you don't need to work necessarily. If you like programming, do something with it! Perhaps you can volunteer for just a few hours somewhere? Any experience is useful and will put you in better stead :yep:

Your gap year is to do with what you wish. Doing some volunteer work or a summer job may help for future work and maybe uni applications but otherwise, I personally would chill out too. You could argue the point that you believe mental health is important for your productivity so taking time out for yourself felt like the best way to spend that time, so that you can start the next year feeling refreshed and ready to go! Turn it into a positive. :smile: And your hobby of programming is also a useful skill that you can mention that you spent time on developing if it was ever asked.

Get a part time job and have the rest of the days off

I did something similar last year where i resat an A level (well, sat for the first time) and im currently on a gap year. I volunteered for about a week at a charity shop so that I'd have something to talk about just in case and also worked in hospitality because i wanted to earn some money. It really depends on what university you're planning on applying to - for me, Warwick wanted me to provide some information on what i did during my gap year but other universities didn't. In my interviews i didn't really have to mention my gap year stuff, i just did because i could.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by FreshBlaze
I did something similar last year where i resat an A level (well, sat for the first time) and im currently on a gap year. I volunteered for about a week at a charity shop so that I'd have something to talk about just in case and also worked in hospitality because i wanted to earn some money. It really depends on what university you're planning on applying to - for me, Warwick wanted me to provide some information on what i did during my gap year but other universities didn't. In my interviews i didn't really have to mention my gap year stuff, i just did because i could.

I don't understand what I am supposed to tell these universities if they ask - I'm applying like late October, I had finished my A-Levels like 3 months ago, the majority of that being summer holiday (I was expecting to go to university this year but last minute decided not to) so what do I say?

Quick Reply

Latest