The Student Room Group

I need help, please someone help me out...

Ok I really dont know where to post this kind of a comment or where to start so im just going to go for it...

After leaving my previous school, Ive had immeasurable amounts of ups and downs and I really dont know what to do with my life.

At university I want to study something to do with the built enviroment such as Architecture, Chartered Surveying, Urban Design etc or go along the routes of professional Product Design. For my GCSE's I obtained 5A/A*'s, 4 B's and 1 C, which was the second best in my school as the overall pass rate at 5 GCSE's at A*-C was something like 27%. So i think I performed reasonably well under the circumstances.

Now heres my problem, my parents have being going through what seems to be a horiibly messy divorce over the past year or so, (this was all happening whilst doing my exams). This has greatly affected me and I now am SERIOUSLY considering giving up 6th form to go and get a job and do work-based training.

After leaving my school, I ended up going to quite a prestigious 6th form which placed something like 30 out of 4000 state schools in the country for exam results. There I was frowned upon and made to feel totally inadequate by both the staff and some of the students. There I was studying Eng Lit, Maths, Art, Design and Tech and Critical Thinking.

After becoming ill and very depressed and what i can say was an unusual amount of tears for me, I left and went to a different 6th form, though not as highly academically perfoming more enjoyable. There I am studying Eng Lan and Lit, Business Studies, Art and Design and Tech. Also AS Citizenship. I plan on dropping Business at AS and picking up maths

This is where the real problem comes in, I found out that the day before I had done the Single Award Science GCSE a day before my exam, which has revealed itself to be totally useless in terms of univeristy admissions so I am TRYING to do the double or additional science, but no success has been found so far for someone to cater to teach me. Also I never studied a humanities or language at GCSE which has which is also narrowing my restrictions.

Im going to say now, the same thing is happening again, I am not enjoying my 6th form experience, I constantly sit at school and worry about my father who could be kicked out by January and all I want to do is make sure he is ok. I doing the work with relative amounts of ease but my heart is not in it and feel that I will fail my first set of exams :frown:

What should I do, go back and re-do some of my GCSE's? Stay on and feel miserable? Quit and look for work-based training?

Im at my wits end and really dont know what to do wth myself anymore, I just want to give up altogether. So much has happened since September and we're now only just beginning November :frown:

What should I do? I know I want to do something and train to be something with myself but I dont think I've got it in me anymore. Please...someone...I need some advice.

Scroll to see replies

I don't really feel qualified to give much advice, though I will say this: consider that your parents may take some comfort in the middle of this situation in knowing your education is continuing. I can only imagine it may stress them even more to know that their problems are affecting your schoolwork. I'm not saying you must stay on, whether you want to or not, for their sake; I'm saying I wouldn't drop out due to worry, as you're going to be worrying about your dad just as much in either instance. I also wouldn't go picking up extra AS-levels and dropping others, as that is also pretty stressful, even if you do it at the beginning of the academic year. The second year of sixth form isn't the easiest thing in the world, and IMHO you don't want the added stress of new subjects; you'd be much better off sticking it out with your original plan, I think. Are you really sure Single Award science is useless? And I wouldn't worry too much about the humanities GCSEs: they're not core subjects, and they'd surely only provide a big hindrance if you wished to study a humanities subject at degree level? I definitely wouldn't advise going back to GCSE-level.. I think you just need some encouragement to plough on with sixth form. :smile:

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. :frown: Hope things start looking up soon.
Reply 2
alot of the insititute don't acount GCSE as much as others, depends on your target .. what university do you want to go? and reasearch into it, phone up admintion tutors, they will always be helpful. only after you've set your target you can then think about planning to achive the target. because then you will have an idea, firm idea of what you need you need to do to achive the target, there is a problem at home, but why bother, it may depresse you, and i can understand.. you have to believe in your self first.. and maybe put the famly business after the learning.. you have to reduce the effect it has on you, other wise you will ahte your self then you've grown older.

if you having a tough time at home, maybe you can do some foundation courses first, you are good in academics it always helps.

oh use one thing, inform the universities to look at the teaching qulity of the school you are attending, because it's all about atmosphere of learning .. and i think you will be counted as the *peak of the normal distrubution* which the only let down was the teaching quality it self, then it's not your fault to get what you have achived...

and also i'm only advicing .. sorry about the poor spellings and grammar .. *sigh* when can i learn how to speak english properly?
Reply 3
I was looking at going to UCL (University Central London) to do any of the built enviroment degrees, but preferably Architecture. Other than that I was also looking at Sussex and Brunel to do Product Design or Architecture ( I cant remember whether they do architecture there or not)

I know its hard but my family do play a lot on my mind, and in response to Ellen Marie commment, Single Award still does have some value. It does mean that I studied science and have a reasonable competance in them.

TSR does tend to have a highly over-achieving student focus and it does not reflects the general spectrum of most students, put i feel now after everything im just edging towards that mediocre state.

I know ive got what it takes to go down the fast lane and take the full educational route but like I said, my hearts not in it. I know plenty of people that have left school with not many qualificatons and have found themselves to lead successful and profitable careers.

I just always saw myself with a degree up until now, even though i know i can make money and still live comfortably without masses of qualifications, I dont feel id hold much pride in myself without saying that id exhausted every possible means.

I guess what im really searching for is happiness and im not going to find that at the moment...
Reply 4
Let me just say this. You have excellent GCSE results. Bear in mind that a lot of people on TSR are privately/grammar school educated - they have a definite advantage. If you have been to a private/grammar school, you would have left with straight A*s. Don't doubt your own ability - you are just as good as anyone else.

You seem to be piling too much onto your plate, which will always make you lose heart. Try finishing your A levels and then taking a gap year and work/travel/do whatever you need to in order to make you happier with learning again. Work out what you want to do in a situation when everything isn't moving so fast.

Give yourself a break - you are intelligent and worthwhile.
Hey I gave up years ago, all I do everyday is play chess and drink vodka.

I've decided to drink and smoke myself to an early grave. :-)
Reply 6
I did come from a comprehensive school when i did my GCSE's, most of which i did in Year 11 alone because in Year 10 the school was put under special measures.

So I guess if you put it that way, it doesnt sound too bad. Would a "good" university take this into consideration?
Reply 7
i guess you miss happy times .. but it will come don't worry, i have my self applying to UCL architecture.. it's a long process.. i want to go there my self too .. looked very interesting, so are you in year 12 at the moment?
that's like the turning point of lifes, alot people find them self not smal kids at that age.

keep looking at the universities, you are still in an early stage, talk to teachers too.. go to some of the opendays comming up next year ..

ust don't give up and you will be there.. and you will find what you want.. you just needs to stand up on your feet, as long as you have place to live, things to eat, i won't give up that this stage.. remember yo set your self a target .. happyness can be a good one
Reply 8
Universities will almost always take extenuating circumstances into account, and you have one hell of a lot of them. Contact UCL by e-mail or phone and see what their reaction is.
I'd also advise not trying to take any more sciences. Stop trying to pile more work on top of what you've got - you really don't need to prove yourself.
Reply 9
oh, just a reminder, architects never give up .. if you really want to be one.. make your self usful
Reply 10
Secret_F
i guess you miss happy times .. but it will come don't worry, i have my self applying to UCL architecture.. it's a long process.. i want to go there my self too .. looked very interesting, so are you in year 12 at the moment?
that's like the turning point of lifes, alot people find them self not smal kids at that age.

keep looking at the universities, you are still in an early stage, talk to teachers too.. go to some of the opendays comming up next year ..

Yes im in Year 12 at the moment and I know exactly what you mean, theres the illusion of freedom given to you when really its always on the end of that rope being pulled away from you.

Its always good to know theres someone else doing Architecture, UCL is an amazing place. I hope this doesnt sound like too much of a boast but im one of those people that displays what their potential is in other forms rather than letters on a bit of paper. I was Head Boy, have had numerous forms of media coverage about the quality of my work and I also know a famous alumini member of UCL that im "hoping" (fingers crossed) will write me a reference.

The subjects that I got A's and A*s in at GCSE i felt i was more proficient at than the people who went to a top grammar were. I just hope somewhere like UCL will look at this in their interviews and take into account my circumstances and the position that the school was under whilst I was taking my exams.

How do you or anyone reading this think i'll stand at UCL against other candidates?
Reply 11
yes for sure ... look at the architecture + built enviorment borad .. and you will get plenty of help there... you will be fine ... i mean i only got 3A*3A in GCSE due to poor quility of teaching ... one i was pridicted C,and D in my AS, but now i'm pridicted 6 and half A in A2 ... so .. any thing can happen .. just don't give up .. it's always a good idea to get to know the subject before you do it .. go out look for some work experience, and read some books around architecture .. i probly sound too geeky .. but i justlove the subject
Reply 12
Already there and have the T-Shirts with all the reference material on Architecture. Its just such a diverse and fascinating world the Built Enviromental with so much potential.

You can make so much difference towards people and their enviroment with Architecture and thats why I want to do it - for the right reasons, not the money. It just hurts now to think im going through all of this at the moment and I may give it up. :frown:

But the TSR comments so far are spurring me on to do my utmost. I just wish the people who have commented so far, (apart from that message about vodka and giving up) were around me to help me out.
Reply 13
we will always be around you ... you can add my msn when i get back home after today's work experience .. drawing CAD ... such a boring job ...
Secret_F
we will always be around you ... you can add my msn when i get back home after today's work experience .. drawing CAD ... such a boring job ...

Ditto.. though I don't use MSN, but I'm around on TSR often enough at the moment. :smile:

Oh, and I've replied to your PM!
Reply 15
Secret_F

cheers, PM with your MSN anytime
Reply 16
*ellen marine*
Ditto.. though I don't use MSN, but I'm around on TSR often enough at the moment. :smile:

Oh, and I've replied to your PM!

Just read your PM and I do greatly appreciate it. I think you're all helping me make up my mind as to what seems right...though I have to admit, it is a hard choice to make.

I'll just grit my teeth and see what life brings me for the time being. I think im going to go out for a walk to clear my head and take in the daisys, best way to re-evaluate myself.
Reply 17
yeah ... things like this always happends ...
ahh .. i'm having problems my self at the moment too ... this goes way back to when i was 3 ...
Reply 18
Well im sorry Secret_f for you woes at present, feel free to console anything with me, youve done alot for me today...
Reply 19
if i have time today i will ... have to do task for UCL .... takes too much time :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending