The Student Room Group

What does "markets wrap" mean in the financial world?

See this quite often when reading Bloomberg, but I can't seem to find a defition on the world wide web.
I think they mean it as in markets briefing, or situation when the market wraps (closes).

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by AmeliaLost
I think they mean it as in markets briefing, or situation when the market wraps (closes).

Spoiler

I think it refers to the directionthe market is taking but again, I don't really know. Appreciate the answer though :smile:
It’s more a journalism term. In a headline on Bloomberg like this: "Stocks Stall as Investors Mull Growth; Yen Climbs: Markets Wrap", it’s not about "wrapping markets" but about an article covering (literally to wrap) the markets. It’s a noun, not a verb here, I believe.

To clarify, the headline could be like this: Stocks Stall as Investors Mull Growth; Yen Climbs: [here is our] Markets Wrap [for you].
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
It’s bafflegab, kids. Probably a holdover from the old movie days, when at the end of shooting a scene, the director would announce, “That’s a wrap!” In other words, “The market closed (for the day).”
Reply 5
If the meaning is
Original post by Vallern
See this quite often when reading Bloomberg, but I can't seem to find a defition on the world wide web.

It's suggesting the market is either closed or else unlikely to change in direction today. According to ChatGPT, if a headline reads, "stocks drop after rate increase: markets wrap" during trading hours, the phrase "markets wrap" would mean that the overall sentiment in the markets has shifted downward due to the news of a rate increase. This could indicate that stocks have dropped as a result of the news, and that the day's trading activity may end with a net loss.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 7
Hey, do you happen to frequently read Bloomberg News? I'm currently doing a research project on it. Let me know if you are available to interview! I would be really thankful because I could not find anyone to interview as of now...
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending