The Student Room Group

Biochemistry, Biomedical and Biological Science Applicants 2018 Entry

Hey! I haven't noticed a thread for this yet, so as summer is starting and we've all been (or will be) visiting universities and writing statements, why not start this now!:smile:
Introduce yourself with how your AS or internal equivalents went, GCSE grades and where you are thinking of applying to!
And pretty much anything else uni related :cool:

The unis I'm thinking about are:
Oxford - Biochem
Manchester - Biochem with Spanish
Imperial College - Biochem with Spanish OR medical biosciences
Durham - Natural Sciences - Biology and Chemistry
York - Biochem with study abroad
Liverpool - Biochem
Lancaster - Biochem

I got 6A*s 4As and a B at GCSE, and everyone in the internals did horrendously because they messed up the timings and papers so badly lol

Scroll to see replies

Someone is eager :smile:.
Reply 2
Yeah I am I suppose, I'm just ready for everything to happen now!
Original post by Rangzii
snip

:hello: You might want to add this to the OP:

University choices:
What subject(s) are currently studying?:
Predicted A2 grades:
AS grades:
GCSE grades:
Why biology, biochemistry, biomedical or biological sciences?
Reply 4
Original post by Snufkin
:hello: You might want to add this to the OP:

University choices:
What subject(s) are currently studying?:
Predicted A2 grades:
AS grades:
GCSE grades:

Ahh I will do! Never done one of these threads before haha
Reply 5
Although I'm only really going to apply to Oxford for biochem, the rest will be chemistry or natural science (:
Hi!

University choices: Birmingham, Warwick, Oxford, Nottingham, Leeds
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Maths, Biology, Chemistry
Predicted A2 grades: AAA (not really sure though, my teachers haven't confirmed anything)
AS grades: AAA and a B in English Literature
GCSE grades: 9 A*s
I only decided to do biochemistry recently, after not being able to decide on what to do, because I realised that I enjoyed that aspect of biology the most. It's a way of me doing what I'm interested in for the next few years before pursuing a graduate degree in something more specifically aimed at a job. (I was previously aiming to do Medicine but it was something I was never really sure about in the first place because I never had that passion for it that others seemed to have, but if I am interested in it after the undergraduate course then I might decided to pursue it.)
University choices: Birmingham, Warwick, Southampton, Sussex, Liverpool
What subject(s) are currently studying?: maths, chemistry, Biology
Predicted A2 grades: A*AA
GCSE grades: 9A*s 1A

I just put in my UCAS application today- has anyone else applied yet or got any offers (I don't know how early they start giving them out??)

Good luck everyone
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
University choices: Oxford (biochem) St Andrews (biochem) + undecided
What subject(s) are you currently studying? Maths, chemistry and biology
Predicted A2 grades: A* AA
AS grades 4 As (maths, chem, bio, physics)
GCSE grades: 9 A*s 2 As
Initially I was very undecided and thought medicine would be my choice however recently I decided to choose biochemistry because this aspect of the biology AS spec interested me the most. I may consider medicine in the future however, if I enjoy biochemistry I would like to do a PhD!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Literally the same thought process as me haha. Also applying to Oxford biochemistry. Good luck!

Original post by anisaxvi
Hi!

University choices: Birmingham, Warwick, Oxford, Nottingham, Leeds
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Maths, Biology, Chemistry
Predicted A2 grades: AAA (not really sure though, my teachers haven't confirmed anything)
AS grades: AAA and a B in English Literature
GCSE grades: 9 A*s
I only decided to do biochemistry recently, after not being able to decide on what to do, because I realised that I enjoyed that aspect of biology the most. It's a way of me doing what I'm interested in for the next few years before pursuing a graduate degree in something more specifically aimed at a job. (I was previously aiming to do Medicine but it was something I was never really sure about in the first place because I never had that passion for it that others seemed to have, but if I am interested in it after the undergraduate course then I might decided to pursue it.)
Reply 10
Good luck for applications! :biggrin:

I remember being in your position, I ended up doing biological sciences at UEA and now pursuing an MRes in Translational Oncology at Sheffield.

If you have any questions at all feel free to quote or message me and I'll get back to you when I can
University choices: Leeds, Newcastle, Sheffield and two undecided back ups
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Biology, Chemistry and Psychology
Predicted A2 grades: LMainly As and A*s (dropped Religious Studies and took EPQ)
AS grades: AAAA
GCSE grades: 6 A*s, 2 As and 1 C
Why biology, biochemistry, biomedical or biological sciences? I love learning about diseases and what makes them so deadly and incurable (morbid I know) so I guess spending the next few years of my life studying it is perfect!
Original post by nisha.sri
What did you apply for? :biggrin:

sorry forgot to say - Biomedicine
(also just got an offer from Liverpool :smile: )
University choices:
Oxford
Manchester
York
Edinburgh
Birmingham
(All for Biomedical Science)
Current subjects:
Biology, chemistry, maths, German
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A*A*
AS grades: AAAA
GCSE grades: 9A*s, 4As
Why?: I've always loved science but mainly been interested in the human body. Teachers have tended to encourage me to think about medicine but it's definitely not for me! Biomed will give me the chance to learn about the science behind medicine and I just want to learn exactly how the body functions. I want to do a masters afterwards and then probably a PhD so I can go into research 😊
Reply 14
Hi everyone - I applied to Newcastle and got an offer last night for biomed! Super excited :wink:
Hi, I'm hoping on taking Biomedical Sciences next year possibly just for 3 years. I've looked at several unis including: Kent, Southampton, Bristol, Bath and Sussex. Currently Southampton looks like my favourite.

I am in my third year of Sixth Form (Its complicated) and have already completed some of my A levels.
Currently I have done my A Levels in Biology (B) and Geography (A) - Although I may retake biology as I was ill during the exam period.
This year I'm doing A level Chemistry, Physics and Drama and Theatre Studies - I'm predicted an A in all of these and have got an A in Chemistry AS.
I didn't do the drama exam last year as we are doing it all at the end of this year and Im doing Physics in one year (I am mad if you haven't gathered).
At GCSE I got 8A*s, 4As and a B

I'm doing biomedical sciences because its an ever changing degree and is both a broad and deep subject to learn about. I also prefer Human Biology to Ecology etc. and find the content more interesting and relatable.

Spoiler

University choices: Newcastle, Sheffield and Oxford (all Biomed, applied to Newcastle twice and got 2 offers!)
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Biology, Chemistry, Maths and doing an EPQ
Predicted A2 grades: A* A* A* A* (crying because I'm never gonna get that lol)
AS grades: A A A
GCSE grades: 10 A*s
Why biology, biochemistry, biomedical or biological sciences? I'm super interested in the human body and how it works, all the 'small' biology is fascinating to me, I want to ideally go into research and learn as much as possible about how people work and what can go wrong!
Reply 17
Anyone got any offers? If so where from? Haven't submitted mine and dreading Oxford will reject me
Reply 18
University choices:
Oxford - biochemistry
Manchester - biochemistry with a modern language
York - biochemistry
Lancaster - biochemistry
Heriott Watt - biochemistry
What subject(s) are you currently studying? Biology, Chemistry and Spanish
Predicted A2 grades: A* AA
GCSE grades: 6A*s 4As 1B
I've gone back and forth between biochem and chemistry, but I think biochem will definitely fit my interest better (:
University Choices: (For Biological Sciences), Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Birmingham and Bristol
What subjects are you studying? Biology, Maths, Religious Studies and WBAC
Predicted A2 Grades: A* A* A A (As in biol and wbac)
GCSE Grades: 7A*s, 4As 2Bs and a Distinction in Additional Maths
Why Biology?
I would love to work with either NASA or ESA in the future on astrobiology/space biology projects.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending