The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Its after your filter interview.
Reply 2
how come they ask for the reference so soon, arrrrghhhh. I'm going to have to tell them now, wasn't planning on doing that until I was pretty sure and a bit further through the whole process.

Could be recipe for disaster
Reply 3
grids1979
how come they ask for the reference so soon, arrrrghhhh. I'm going to have to tell them now, wasn't planning on doing that until I was pretty sure and a bit further through the whole process.

Could be recipe for disaster

It dosen't have to be a work employer.

Why what have you done you spanner?
Reply 4
its all good, they wont give me a bad reference, just havent told them i am going to leave, so could be a shock
Reply 5
Grids - they still haven't asked me for mine and I applied a whole year ago - I suspect it will happen if I'm formally offered a place if I successfully complete of Part B.

They WILL ask your other two referees for a reference straight after the filter, though, as QM says. But don't worry - they steer clear of your current employer until much later!
Reply 6
grids1979
its all good, they wont give me a bad reference, just havent told them i am going to leave, so could be a shock

its none of their business until you hand in your resignation. My ex employer just filled it in and sent it off, then he had a conversation about it in the work kitchen a few days after and didn't seem annoyed, more proud :s
Reply 7
I told mine last week, because I need time off for Part B. They weren't pleased (as they've just promoted me :wink: ) but as supportive as you could expect, and if I end up staying, I know it won't be a problem and it won't be held against me. They're now making lots of jokes about hoping I'm medically unfit - at least someone will be pleased if I fail it!
Reply 8
cheers all for your replies.

Phew, what a relief. Just can't be bothered with some hassle from them here.

And true it is none of their business until I hand in notice
Reply 9
Yeah its none of their business but it might be yours if you don't get in then decide that you want to pursue a career at your current employer and they think that you're not particuarly dedicated!
Reply 10
I'm afraid I take the opposing view - it's very much their business if I'm planning to leave, and I shall be giving my employer as much warning as possible if I have my place confirmed, rather than just handing in my resignation precisely one month before I leave, because I don't want to leave them in the lurch! However, it would NOT be the same situation if I was seeking another job in the same field, but because I m contemplating a career change, it makes it much easier to be open with them - in the end, we'll all benefit from that, whatever happens.
Reply 11
If you're planning to leave, you'll give them the statory 4 weeks notice. All employers should be aware of this. They should have other employee's that could temporarily do your job for a while or just employ someone else, 4 weeks is plenty of time.
Reply 12
dont burn any bridges. isnt there an opt-out clause on the form that says they shouldnt approach the previous employer until you allow them too? id check this form over, otherwise give ur old headteacher a ring see if they will reference you.
Reply 13
Dagowly
If you're planning to leave, you'll give them the statory 4 weeks notice. All employers should be aware of this. They should have other employee's that could temporarily do your job for a while or just employ someone else, 4 weeks is plenty of time.

I'm well aware, as are my employers, that, by law, I am only required to give four weeks notice. However, it would NOT be possible either a) to get someone else to cover my job, or b) find a replacement within four weeks. I have an excellent relationship with them, and therefore plan to give them as much warning as possible.

I admit that I am extremely lucky in my current employers, and the relationship that I have with them ... in previous jobs I wouldn't have given tuppence for dropping them in it!:wink:
Reply 14
I've only got a couple of weeks until OASC and my 'non-work' referee still has't been asked for him reference.
I really want them to though, he's a retired Wing Commander!
Reply 15
As has been said above they wont ask for a reference from your current employer until they confirm you have a place at IOT, unless you agree for them to do it earlier. That is standard employment practice and the RAF works the same as any other employer in this regard.

Of course most employment contracts only require someone to give 4 weeks notice. But as a potential officer, honesty and integrity are rather desirable qualities. I think it makes lots of sense if the circumstances work for you to let your employer know as early as you can that you intend leaving. You still dont have to put your formal notice in until the 4 week point (or whatever your contract says).

As one of the posters above said - it is never a good idea to burn your bridges with your current employer - so treating them as well as you can makes sense. You wouldnt be the first person to end up getting medically discharged from the RAF due to some accident, or just not make the grade at IOT and have to leave.
so what references does the RAF require then? a work reference, and a non work reference?

and if so, can these be of your own choosing?

I'm currently umeployed as a student so I don't have a present work referee available, I plan to grab a job this summer and pay of my O/D so will this be enough?
Reply 17
As a student you could always put down a contact at your college/uni and someone from a part-time or temp job, 2 perfectly valid references. A number of people who go on to IOT are 18/19 straight out of college and so have limited work experience and references to go with that. Just be sensible about it and check with the AFCO if you're worried.

Latest