The Student Room Group

Can i do a law degree with a BTEC extended diploma in engineering

I am currently studying btec engineering at college about to start my second year and had a change of heart regarding my career path as I would now love to become a lawyer. Does anyone know if I would be able to get onto a law course at uni considering I am predicted D*D*D* in engineering, or will i be completely disregarded?
Original post by jacobnicholls77
I am currently studying btec engineering at college about to start my second year and had a change of heart regarding my career path as I would now love to become a lawyer. Does anyone know if I would be able to get onto a law course at uni considering I am predicted D*D*D* in engineering, or will i be completely disregarded?

Yes it will be fine. There are no set subjects. You should work on your PS though to show why they should pick you and your interest in the subject.
Yes, but just probably not with any of the top 10/20 universities who will be looking for you to have done an essay-based subject. And definately not Oxbridge :frown:

You won't be completely disregarded with those grades for most unis, but they'll be looking for evidence you have the skill-sets needed for the course. After seeing your Btec, they'll probably look for evidence of this in your GCSE English and humanities subject grades. If these are high, you should be all good.

Personal Statement is key, would help if you can find some work experience to boost it that involves a lot of reading/writing. Law is a bit different to other subjects with the depth of reading in first year, and the standards required. As such, unis will want to make sure you are prepared for this.

If you are about to enter second year at college I highly recommend doing an essay-based lvl 3 extended project on a legal topic if extended project is offered there. If you work hard you can probably get this done in about 3-6 months.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by jgoddard08
Yes, but just probably not with any of the top 10/20 universities who will be looking for you to have done an essay-based subject. And definately not Oxbridge :frown:

You won't be completely disregarded with those grades for most unis, but they'll be looking for evidence you have the skill-sets needed for the course. After seeing your Btec, they'll probably look for evidence of this in your GCSE English and humanities subject grades. If these are high, you should be all good.

Personal Statement is key, would help if you can find some work experience to boost it that involves a lot of reading/writing. Law is a bit different to other subjects with the depth of reading in first year, and the standards required. As such, unis will want to make sure you are prepared for this.

If you are about to enter second year at college I highly recommend doing an essay-based lvl 3 extended project on a legal topic if extended project is offered there. If you work hard you can probably get this done in about 3-6 months.

hi i do level 3 applied science and i would like to do criminal law in university. im only in my first year of college but wondering if i can still do criminal law with that course. my course is based on exams and lots of assignments.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending