The Student Room Group

I need help with qualifications

I’ve signed up to a 19+ college course in engineering. The exact qualification gained would be: Level 3 BTEC National Extended Certificate in Engineering.

I’m really looking forward to the course and what it teaches me. However I’m very worried about where it leads. It seems it doesn’t lead to university as it’s only worth one Alevel and barley any ucas points, and I’m unsure if it leads to work as most want you to be apprentice trained.

I have lots of work experience in engineering but don’t know if there is much point on going on this course. Can anybody help me!?
Reply 1
Original post by WillB041
I’ve signed up to a 19+ college course in engineering. The exact qualification gained would be: Level 3 BTEC National Extended Certificate in Engineering.

I’m really looking forward to the course and what it teaches me. However I’m very worried about where it leads. It seems it doesn’t lead to university as it’s only worth one Alevel and barley any ucas points, and I’m unsure if it leads to work as most want you to be apprentice trained.

I have lots of work experience in engineering but don’t know if there is much point on going on this course. Can anybody help me!?

Is either your college is scamming you or your not sure on the 2 other courses you have been enrolled on. They cant just give you 1 A level in engineering , there must be 2 other subjects on your course that equates to 3 A levels or a diploma that equates to 2 , speak to your college if you are not sure but you certainly cant go to university with just one A level equivalent in engineering , you might as well do a btec level 3 extended diploma in engineering if this is the case
Reply 2
Original post by DO16_DNE
Is either your college is scamming you or your not sure on the 2 other courses you have been enrolled on. They cant just give you 1 A level in engineering , there must be 2 other subjects on your course that equates to 3 A levels or a diploma that equates to 2 , speak to your college if you are not sure but you certainly cant go to university with just one A level equivalent in engineering , you might as well do a btec level 3 extended diploma in engineering if this is the case

It’s labelled as a “part time” course where I’m in college for 1day a week, so it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s only worth 1 Alevel. As far as I’m aware there is no other courses I’ve been enrolled on! I’ve looked at my time table and can’t see anything else.

I asked them if I could enroll on the Lvl 3 Triple diploma in engineering and they said I wasn’t allowed because im 19 and said I can go onto a HNC after the course I’ve mentioned in my post. I highly doubt this as the college itself runs HNCs and need a minimum of 50Ucas points, the course im on gives me 16!!

I really dont think there’s much point of going on it..
Reply 3
Original post by WillB041
It’s labelled as a “part time” course where I’m in college for 1day a week, so it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s only worth 1 Alevel. As far as I’m aware there is no other courses I’ve been enrolled on! I’ve looked at my time table and can’t see anything else.

I asked them if I could enroll on the Lvl 3 Triple diploma in engineering and they said I wasn’t allowed because im 19 and said I can go onto a HNC after the course I’ve mentioned in my post. I highly doubt this as the college itself runs HNCs and need a minimum of 50Ucas points, the course im on gives me 16!!

I really dont think there’s much point of going on it..

Do you have any level 2 qualifications or functional skill equivalents in maths and english ? If you do , you should find a university that has a foundation year in a relative degree in the stem field that will then enable you to a field in engineering or you can do the HNC in your college but uni is better

Quick Reply

Latest