The Student Room Group

Training contract offer and wrong GCSE's

Hi,

I have got a TC offer and have just noticed that for one of my GCSE's I wrote D when I got an E by mistake. Do you think they will take my TC offer from me? Everything else is correct on my application.
Original post by jautillaw
Hi,

I have got a TC offer and have just noticed that for one of my GCSE's I wrote D when I got an E by mistake. Do you think they will take my TC offer from me? Everything else is correct on my application.

Congratulations! Well done.

The mistake shouldn't be costly. Neither are GCSE passes (i.e., not A*-C), so if they've hired you on the assumption you got a D, they shouldn't be any less willing because you got an E instead. It's worth mentioning it to them because the legal profession values integrity and honesty so much, but I wouldn't fret about it. I highly doubt it'll be a problem, especially if your other test scores—at GCSE level and beyond—are good enough.
Reply 2
Thank you, I've emailed them but I am worried that they will take the offer away because it doesn't match what I wrote on my application form.

Thank you so much for your congratulations though, it might not be valid any longer haha.
What work experience did you have in order to gain a training contract and what grade did you receive at uni?
Reply 4
Original post by tsrolivia
What work experience did you have in order to gain a training contract and what grade did you receive at uni?

High 2.1 and multiple vac schemes, part time job, uni job, president of a society, committee of two others, CAB etc why?
Reply 5
Original post by J-SP
To correct the above poster, a D is a pass (as is an E though). Passes are anything between A* and G. It is just that a C or above is typically seen as a "good" grade.

Is it only one GCSE? Is it a subject that isn't English or Maths?

If so, I suspect you will be fine as long as there are no other discrepancies (e.g. module grades, dates of work experience) etc.

They will probably want you to explain why you put it down wrong though.

It is not any of those and only one GCSE. It is in German, everything else is correct on my application. I emailed them saying it was a genuine mistake and I am unsure whether it was a typo or whether I genuinely thought it was a D as I was doing from it from memory. I tried to be as honest as possible.
Reply 6
Original post by J-SP
You are lucky that D and E are close to each other on the keyboard. The typo excuse would have been a bit weak otherwise.

Have you triple checked everything else on your application?

Yeah, I have checked everything else, everything matches up. What do you think?
Reply 7
Original post by J-SP
I doubt it will be an issue, given how long ago you took the qualification, the grade was low to begin with, and that it is in a subject not necessary for the job. It would seem pretty harsh to retract on that basis alone.

Thanks, I hope so. I've emailed them now so fingers crossed they are understanding.
Reply 8
What was the outcome please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending