The Student Room Group

Grayce graduate scheme

Hi,

I am looking for any information anyone has on the Grayce graduate scheme and if anyone would recommend it. I have tried researching it myself, but found some mixed reviews on glassdoor with some claiming they are a recruitment agency in disguise. Any information on what it is actually like from people that know more about it would be appreciated. Also if anyone has information on salary that would be great, no where seems to say. I'm looking at change+ and not data+ btw

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

hey, did you end up applying/ how was it?
Reply 2
Original post by randomperson3333
hey, did you end up applying/ how was it?

Terrible and I wouldn't recommend it. I reached out to there past grads on LinkedIn and they didn't have good things to say. All of the stuff mentioned on glassdoor is true and the good reviews are from the Grayce admin team at their HQs. It's a scam where they farm out grads cheaply to companies for their own profit. If your desperate for money and have 3 years to waste being underpaid and tide into a contract then money is money, but otherwise I would steer clear!
I was offered 26k for the graduate program. is that low?
Hey, 26k is the standard starting salary for year one in London. It’s not the best starting salary but definitely not the worst either. How are you finding the application process?
Original post by Cookieandfudge
Hey, 26k is the standard starting salary for year one in London. It’s not the best starting salary but definitely not the worst either. How are you finding the application process?

I should also add that I’ve reached out to some Grayce members on linkedin and they were actually quite positive about it. However, they did say, and I have experienced this, that they make out that once you’ve done their second interview you’re in with a job. Not true at all. You still have to do interviews for the placements and also they take their sweet time finding them. (For me it’s been too long to the point where it makes me question how Grayce can stay competitive). Just something for people viewing this to keep in mind.
I should also add that I’ve reached out to some Grayce members on linkedin and they were actually quite positive about it. However, they did say, and I have experienced this, that they make out that once you’ve done their second interview you’re in with a job. Not true at all. You still have to do interviews for the placements and also they take their sweet time finding them. (For me it’s been too long to the point where it makes me question how Grayce can stay competitive). Just something for people viewing this to keep in mind.

After the second interview, there will be more interview for placement? when do they start paying the salary then?
Original post by piggywaternoodle
After the second interview, there will be more interview for placement? when do they start paying the salary then?

So if you pass the second interview you join Grayce and they look to match you with a client.
they phone you every week looking for roles for you. Once they find you a role you then do an interview for it with the company. If you pass that interview, and are accepted by a client, you’d then get the salary. Some people say they were offered a client interview like the week after passing the second interview, but also some people say that it takes a lot longer and they’re just left twiddling their thumbs whilst Grayce can’t find them a placement.
I haven't looked it up, but from what you are describing, this isn't a graduate scheme at all, it's a fancy cover for a recruiter who creams a margin off your potential pay and places you with client companies.

People need to stop getting so hung up on the term 'graduate scheme'. Graduate Scheme is not a protected phrase, so anyone can call anything a graduate scheme. The original purpose was that it was a training scheme for high quality applicants, to match them to specific career paths in large and complex organisations and fast track them into management positions. Nowadays, it's a meaningless label to try and sucker people into thinking it is more than it is, much like 'apprenticeship'.

This is a scam, like FDM (?), the company is simply making money out of placing you, and read the small print, do you have to do any preliminary training, or any training if not placed within x months. And if you do the training and don't then get places within Y months, do you have to pay anything for the training? Do you have to pay anything if you leave the placement early?
So if you pass the second interview you join Grayce and they look to match you with a client.
they phone you every week looking for roles for you. Once they find you a role you then do an interview for it with the company. If you pass that interview, and are accepted by a client, you’d then get the salary. Some people say they were offered a client interview like the week after passing the second interview, but also some people say that it takes a lot longer and they’re just left twiddling their thumbs whilst Grayce can’t find them a placement.

I just did my second interview last week, from the sound of it they were going to give me an offer. Although I was quite apprehensive because of the mixed reviews that I have read so far. And based on what you're saying it means that you would have to go through another round of interviews for placement and even that is not definite and it would probably take a while until we get paid? Do they ask you to do any training? Did you apply for any other jobs though?
Original post by threeportdrift
I haven't looked it up, but from what you are describing, this isn't a graduate scheme at all, it's a fancy cover for a recruiter who creams a margin off your potential pay and places you with client companies.

People need to stop getting so hung up on the term 'graduate scheme'. Graduate Scheme is not a protected phrase, so anyone can call anything a graduate scheme. The original purpose was that it was a training scheme for high quality applicants, to match them to specific career paths in large and complex organisations and fast track them into management positions. Nowadays, it's a meaningless label to try and sucker people into thinking it is more than it is, much like 'apprenticeship'.

This is a scam, like FDM (?), the company is simply making money out of placing you, and read the small print, do you have to do any preliminary training, or any training if not placed within x months. And if you do the training and don't then get places within Y months, do you have to pay anything for the training? Do you have to pay anything if you leave the placement early?

From what I read they give out training and if you were to quit you would have to pay for the training cost, the bond is 3 years.
Original post by piggywaternoodle
From what I read they give out training and if you were to quit you would have to pay for the training cost, the bond is 3 years.

100% recommend just reaching out to Grayce people on LinkedIn who have experienced the roles and know it well. A lot of people were willing to take the time out to respond to me and provide much more informed opinion. My personal experience is just that they’re very slow at finding placements after the second interview. All the people I spoke to who had placements predominately had positive things to say, which suggests they are not a scam, but do have some important drawbacks that you should take heed of.
Reply 12
Original post by username3914440
100% recommend just reaching out to Grayce people on LinkedIn who have experienced the roles and know it well. A lot of people were willing to take the time out to respond to me and provide much more informed opinion. My personal experience is just that they’re very slow at finding placements after the second interview. All the people I spoke to who had placements predominately had positive things to say, which suggests they are not a scam, but do have some important drawbacks that you should take heed of.

Hey it sounds good, advantages and disadvantages. I believe you get a lot of certifications with them which can only do you good for the future? And being exposed to different clients seems to be good the cv to right?

Whilst you are finding a placement are you doing the class-room based learning?
Hey guys, I've had experience with Grayce, or certainly the recruitment side, and I find it really upsetting how little information there is for graduates about their programs based on the thread that I've found here. I personally had a very negative experience with Grayce. Despite this I'm writing this message more as a guide for new graduates on how to take advantage of what Grayce has to offer (it can offer some good stuff) without it taking advantage of you as a new graduate (as it absolutely did to me).

I did this through their change program for business analysis style roles. In September last year I was invited to do a initial interview over teams, which led to quickly a week later the main interview which also required the preparation of an extensive presentation. They got back to me like three weeks later regarding the interview, saying I passed it and they welcomed me on board to Grayce. They make a real song and dance out of this when they congratulated me for joining the organisation and sent me a lot of more formal documents. However, crucially, there is no actual contract of employment or salary paid to you, as they are meant to find you a placement with one of their companies once you have joined.

Importantly, they asked me very specifically at this stage that I should stop applying to other jobs now. I won't go through each example but they go out of their way to show how imminent your first placement will be once you passed their main interviews. They said that they would phone me each week to provide me feedback but it should be soon. This was in October. Fast forward to December and they had been phoning me a few weeks and they kept saying that my first placement was imminent soon. They were not phoning me a lot less. They explained to me that the reason that they were not able to find me a placement this year was that in the Winter period less companies are looking for new workers. They assured me that come the new year in January that things were really known to pick up and that I could relax and the opportunities would be plentiful next year. January came and they phoned me up and they set me up with an interview, making sure that I did good preparation in advance. The interview ended up with the client basically confiding in me that they were never really going to hire anyone from Grayce, so it was a complete waste of time. The following week they found me another interview and the client didn't even turn up to it. By this stage I had been unemployed since I had finished the masters in September so I started looking for other jobs as my trust in Grayce had gone out the window.

A month later I was accepted for a job completely unrelated to Grayce. In March I decided to go with that and as I left to a new city to start it Grayce had supposedly found me another position for a placement. I told them no and left the organisation. Who knows what that placement interview would of been like. It might have been total rubbish like the past ones, it might have been successful, or I might just have failed it by not interviewing well.

Over all this time of continually telling me that a placement was imminent and just to wait a little longer I was unemployed and earnt nothing. However, my recommendation for any graduate looking for a first job after university would not necessarily be to avoid Grayce altogether. If I were to recommend the best approach for this company it would be do apply to Grayce alongside making sure to keep applying to other jobs continually and only stop once you had a proper contract of employment offered to you and you know when you're getting paid, don't settle for anything else. If Grayce accepts you and you reach the phase where they are looking for a placement for you I would not, as I did, just stop looking for other jobs. Grayce is not obliged to find you a job within a deadline and as you have seen with my case it just went on for months and months with excuse after excuse coming from them. I would only actually stop looking for other jobs once they have given you a proper contract of employment unless you want to wait huge periods of time. I felt that they added a lot of pomp to joining Grayce to kind of give the false idea to naïve graduates (like me) that once I was in Grayce the new role would be imminent and that I should trust them. It was always "oh wait till next week, we've got something in the works" since I was admitted to Grayce in October.

I also recommend speaking to people on LinkedIn as a lot of people I contacted said that Grayce found them placements very quickly so obviously some other people have been a lot luckier in their defence. However, even the people on Grayce who luckily go on very quickly felt that they kept hidden from graduates that there is a final interview with clients you have to pass. Grayce make out it's just a little introduction but it does require preparation and you're not at all guaranteed to pass it.
Additionally, for what it is worth a lot of the people on the placements in Grayce were really enjoying them and the salaries they offer aren't too bad either in my opinion. So there is another side to it I do concede, however I would be very careful based on my experience and I would not recommend stopping looking for other jobs once you had joined Grayce - let them bloody well match you with a client and get a proper contract of employment before you, not anything else, before you give up with other job opportunities as I did. You live and learn I suppose.

Also, another thing I felt was that the matching of clients all felt a lot more ropey and last minute than the polished website would suggest, it all felt very messy and disorganised.

I hope this helps as I don't want anyone else left in the vulnerable position of waiting months and months on end being lulled by them that a job is imminent as you are now a part of the organisation. Also, I could probably answer any other questions on here. I know some people here may look at me and think what an idiot for trusting them but I was just a graduate who had done an extremely difficult masters and made the poor decision to choose to trust Grayce to find me a job.

Thank you reading and I wish you the best of luck in finding a job. You've probably done a really challenging degree and you deserve a great job, not to be exploited and messed about.
i am going through the interview process with grayce too atm and found some of your points are very interesting.
you mentioned that you got hired by another company while you were contracted to grayce. dont you think its little risky if grayce found you a job and you passed the interview? you would have been working for 2 different companies at the same time. also when you hand in your documents to you new employer (like p45), did they not noticed that you were still contracted to another employer (grayce)? is this legal?
then you mentioned that you left grayce in the end. in this case, you would have to pay them compensation fee isnt it?
please correct me if any of the points above are wrong.
Attention all graduates do not join this company even if you are desperate for a job. Take your time and apply elsewhere as the salary here is a joke. Grayce graduates get paid below industry while they charge their client (Royal Mail, IBM, RSA ) youre on triple amount. Praying all grayce graduates realise how much of a scam especially during this tough financial time.
Not a scam at all - it’s just not a charity. It’s a consultancy that yes, of course makes money but at the same time, invests heavily in the development of grads and kickstarts careers with organisations you wouldn’t usually have the chance of joining
Original post by threeportdrift

It’s quite concerning that you are dishing out advice as a careers forum helper. Not recruiters, and yes agree, check there’s no training bond (this is a must and best ones won’t have it!) but otherwise if you’re commercially savvy enough to realise that no one is creaming but instead making money as they aren’t a charity, and you too can take advantage at the same time to gain qualifications, build up experience, work for some great clients and find a career pathway that’s right for you - why wouldn’t you do that?
Reply 18
Hi - I was wondering if anyone from this thread would have any advice for an interview with Grayce. If I’m totally honest, I’m not super sure I even want to do it after reading this thread. However, I have a been invited to an interview after I expressed interest in a tech analyst role.

Basically does anyone have advice on how to prepare for this interview? Seems like Grayce are a bit particular but maybe I’m wrong?
Original post by xlrspin
Hi - I was wondering if anyone from this thread would have any advice for an interview with Grayce. If I’m totally honest, I’m not super sure I even want to do it after reading this thread. However, I have a been invited to an interview after I expressed interest in a tech analyst role.

Basically does anyone have advice on how to prepare for this interview? Seems like Grayce are a bit particular but maybe I’m wrong?

I'm in the same position, did you end up going for the interview?

Quick Reply

Latest